[comp.sys.mac] Option key death

jeremy@swatsun.uucp (Jeremy Brest) (02/15/88)

Twice now I've had my mac II die the following strange death:  for no
apparent reason, the system responds to all typing as though the option
key is pressed, although it isn't.  The key is not stuck, but key caps da
shows the key depressed, too.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Jeremy Brest
Swarthmore College
uucp:...seismo!bpa!swatsun!jeremy
CSnet:jeremy@swatsun.swarthmore.edu
ARPAnet:jeremy%swatsun.swarthmore.edu@relay.cs.net

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73539000) (02/16/88)

Yep, My option key on my Extended Keyboard on my Mac II running 4.2/6.0
has been stuck down before. And to top it off, I have had my Caps Lock
light get stuck on, when the button is still up! It must be a bug in the
ADB driver.

To Apple: How does one light the Num Lock or Scroll Lock keys from a program??
IM vol V has no info on this subject and I don't feel like dissassembling
the ADB driver to see how the Caps Lock light works, and then guesstimate the
method for the others. I am sure that the development community would like a
tech note on this, as many people are now diddling with emulation of YOU-KNOW-
WHO machines and UNIX stuff, where these lights may be useful.

~  Alexander M. Rosenberg  ~ INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   ~ Yoyodyne    ~
~  Crown College, UCSC     ~ UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba~ Propulsion  ~
~  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    ~ BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  ~ Systems, Inc~
~  (408) 426-8869	   ~ Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  ~ :-)         ~
~			   ~ so nobody cares what I say.	~	      ~

borscht@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy J. Williams) (02/16/88)

In article <1586@carthage.UUCP> jeremy@swatsun.UUCP (Jeremy Brest) writes:
>Twice now I've had my mac II die the following strange death:  for no
>apparent reason, the system responds to all typing as though the option
>key is pressed, although it isn't.  The key is not stuck, but key caps da
>shows the key depressed, too.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Yep.  We had the *exact* same problem on our Mac II at the Personal
Computer Center here. (extended keyboard).  Apparently Apple is shipping
some faulty keyboards.  When we shook the keyboard we heard something
rattle inside.  We sent it over to the repair shop here and it is happy now.
Anyone else have something similar?

-Andy

--
Andy J. Williams    |_   /| |BITNET: borscht@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
HB 509 Dartmouth Clg|\`o_O' |UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax,linus}!dartvax!eleazar!borscht

borscht@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy J. Williams) (02/17/88)

In article <8175@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> I write:
>In article <1586@carthage.UUCP> jeremy@swatsun.UUCP (Jeremy Brest) writes:
>>Twice now I've had my mac II die the following strange death:  for no
>>apparent reason, the system responds to all typing as though the option
>>key is pressed, although it isn't.  The key is not stuck, but key caps da
>>shows the key depressed, too.  Has anyone else had this problem?

>Yep.  We had the *exact* same problem on our Mac II at the Personal
>Computer Center here. (extended keyboard).  Apparently Apple is shipping
>some faulty keyboards.  When we shook the keyboard we heard something
>rattle inside.  We sent it over to the repair shop here and it is happy now.
>Anyone else have something similar?

Sorry to follow up to my own article, but I just found out that the keyboard
STILL does this.  yesterday it was acting as if the option key was stuck
and when someone turned it upside down something still rattled and many many
keys showed as black in KeyCaps.  After another shake, it works.  Any clues?

-Andy