[comp.sys.mac] 800K disk drive blues

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (02/11/88)

When I bought my Mac last July (used) it came with an external 800K drive.
The drive was brand new (I took it out of the plastic myself). It was the only
unused piece. In December it developped the irritating habit of claiming that
disks were not initialized when they were, I would eject the disk, but it
would catch on the way out, fall back in and work correctly. It also developped
a lovely whine (intermitant) at the same time. This weekend it broke. Now
all disks are treated as uninitialized, period.

1?) Is this a lemon or do Apple (not some cheap clone) 800K external disks
have reliability problems.

2?) How long are they under warenty (the fellow I bought it from has left the
state)

3?) What do people do about service for lower cost items like this. I called
a dealer who told me it would cost $35 just to look at it and then $55 an
hour to fix it. I already looked at it and it appears that a copper loop around
the top disk head has broken.

4!) A Mac with one disk is only half a Mac

Chris Christensen				Hewlett-Packard
(408) 553-2955 or telnet 553-2955		Design Technology Center
cnc%hpdtc@hplabs.hp.com				Santa Clara, CA
...!hplabs!hpcid!cnc

tomc@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) (02/17/88)

In article <870141@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
> 3?) What do people do about service for lower cost items like this. I called
> a dealer who told me it would cost $35 just to look at it and then $55 an
> hour to fix it. I already looked at it and it appears that a copper loop around
> the top disk head has broken.

Last summer I had the drive in my Mac Plus do the same thing - catch
and rip the head from the upper arm in the drive.

IT COST ME $164 to get it fixed.  There is essentially no fix, they
have to replace the drive with a reconditioned one.

: Tom Carstensen              Usenet: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM :
: Mentor Graphics             GEnie:  XPC23637               :
:     . . . and this shall be Max Headroom's finest hour.    :
:                                       - Max Headroom       :