[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite Problems

ws0n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Walter Ray Smith) (02/05/88)

After playing with the "don't panic" prerelease release of FullWrite,
which finally arrived on the second attempt at shipping, I have
conflicting impressions.

The overall concept is very well done, with good abstractions (Notes,
Sidebars, Styles, Classifications, Rulers).  The icon bar is great,
although distinguishing the type of a 5x5 icon requires more practice
than I have.  All the different ways of moving around the document
will be useful--browsing, bookmarks, and "jumping" (which is
essentially Emacs incremental search, or Raskin's "leaping").  The
bibliography, index, and table of contents are done well.  I think
the design of this program is generally good.

But there are some severe deficiencies with the implementation I got
in the mail.  I hope all these things will be resolved before
release.  By the way, if any of these problems are actually
nonexistent, please let me know what I should be doing.

You can't set the height of a sidebar attached to text without typing
a number into a dialog box.  Why is it necessary for me to figure out
by trial and error (or by holding a ruler up to the screen) how many
inches high my figure or table is?  Admittedly, you can graphically
set the size of a page-specific sidebar, but that's just a slightly
easier form of trial and error.  I would like an "automatic" setting
for height and width.

While text does flow nicely around sidebars as advertised, it is
impossible to make text *NOT* flow nicely around sidebars.  You can't
place a 2x2 figure at the top of a page with no text on either side
unless you type a bunch of blank lines next to it, which defeats the
purpose of a page-specific sidebar.

Line heights keep changing at random when I move the insertion point.
Just clicking the mouse in the text causes nearby lines to move up
and down, apparently at random.  I can only get them back the way I
want by randomly clicking around, trying to tickle the bug again, and
this usually makes some other line change.  Sometimes whole blank
lines appear and disappear.  This is especially a problem in
sidebars, since the size is fixed, and when a blank line appears at
the top, the last line falls off the bottom and vanishes.

The *only* place you can set paragraph spacing is in the Document
Base Style.  It is therefore *global*.  You can pick exactly one
paragraph spacing for everything in the document.  Needless to say,
it practically always has to be zero, eliminating the paragraph
spacing feature.

As everyone knows, the thing is slooooooooow.  But that's strictly an
implementation issue.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'll be sure to let everyone
know if something else shows up.  I hope AAS is out there somewhere.

- Walt
--
       Walter Smith, CS graduate student, Carnegie-Mellon University
      uucp: ...!seismo!cmucspt!wrs ?        ARPA: ws0n@andrew.cmu.edu

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/09/88)

In article <YW2H0fy00Xo2s=Y0GK@andrew.cmu.edu> ws0n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Walter Ray Smith) writes:
>While text does flow nicely around sidebars as advertised, it is
>impossible to make text *NOT* flow nicely around sidebars.  You can't
>place a 2x2 figure at the top of a page with no text on either side
>unless you type a bunch of blank lines next to it, which defeats the
>purpose of a page-specific sidebar.

Simple -- make the floating sidebar the width of the page, and place the
graphic in the middle.

As to other complaints: I also wish they had the ability to graphically size
the floating sidebars, but have found that it can be quickly done by looking
at the graphic in the sidebar or draw window and glancing at the ruler --
cuts down on the trial and error a good deal.  In my work, an automatic
setting wouldn't be any faster than non-automatic -- I usually want some
extra white space on one side of the other.  The global paragraph spacing is
awkward, and I really hope they have that in the Custom Style box in the very
near future.

		"Victory or defeat."

			--Motto of the 82th Light Horse Marines (the
			  "Floating Parrots")

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

ws0n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Walter Ray Smith) (02/14/88)

Me: You can't place a figure at the top of a page with no text on
    either side unless you type a bunch of blank lines next to it.

Moriarty: Simple -- make the floating sidebar the width of the page,
          and place the graphic in the middle.

Ah!  That's what I *AM* doing.  The sidebar is as wide as it can be.
But blank lines are of zero width, so they fit next to the sidebar
anyway!  I want some space between the bottom of the figure and the
heading below it, but I can't put in any blank spaces there, because
they float up next to the sidebar.

This is a hack, anyway, since I want a frame around my 2x2 figure,
and needless to say, I only want a 2x2 frame...  I guess I could put
a framed sidebar inside an unframed one to get the effect.  This is
starting to remind me of TeX.

The problem really is the blank spaces floating into the zero-width
space next to the sidebar.  They shouldn't fit there, and it looks
really flaky and unintuitive when they do.

--
       Walter Smith, CS graduate student, Carnegie-Mellon University
      uucp: ...!seismo!cmucspt!wrs ?         ARPA: wrs@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (02/14/88)

I thought that FW Pro Could run on a 1M Mac II?  A friend of mine got his
Pre-rel version, but when he tries to boot it up from HD on a Mac II, he
gets to the opening screen, and then the program says that there is "not

enough memory to perform this operation" which I assume is the opening of
a blank  window.  When he tried to open a new file or an old file, he got
the same message.  What gives?  Can you run FWP oin a 1M Mac II?

Mac II, Internal HD, Color (256K) card, monitor.

Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh
jas@dsl.cadre.pittsburgh.edu		Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS (BITNET)			Graduate Student

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (02/15/88)

in article <6933@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) says:

> I thought that FW Pro Could run on a 1M Mac II?  A friend of mine got his
> Pre-rel version, but when he tries to boot it up from HD on a Mac II, he
> gets to the opening screen, and then the program says that there is "not
>
> enough memory to perform this operation" which I assume is the opening of
> a blank  window.  When he tried to open a new file or an old file, he got
> the same message.  What gives?  Can you run FWP oin a 1M Mac II?

Question: is he running multi-finder?  FW will not run on any 1 meg machine
along with multi-finder; you need at least 2 meg.

Another question:  what other RAM resident things are in use?  Is a debugger
loaded?  Is an auto-black program loaded?  FW is a _very_ tight fit in 1 meg,
so anything else that uses RAM may make it unable to run.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/15/88)

>I thought that FW Pro Could run on a 1M Mac II?  A friend of mine got his

>Mac II, Internal HD, Color (256K) card, monitor.

color? Try running in two bit mode. Color takes up more memory, which is
probably getting you in trouble.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/16/88)

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP(Jeff Sullivan) writes in comp.sys.mac

>I thought that FW Pro Could run on a 1M Mac II?  A friend of mine got his
>Pre-rel version, but when he tries to boot it up from HD on a Mac II, he
>gets to the opening screen, and then the program says that there is "not
>
>enough memory to perform this operation" which I assume is the opening of
>a blank  window.  When he tried to open a new file or an old file, he got
>the same message.  What gives?  Can you run FWP oin a 1M Mac II?
>
>Mac II, Internal HD, Color (256K) card, monitor.
	The problem is not the Mac ][ part, but the 1Meg part.  FWP is very
memory sensitive and needs as much memory as possible.  I would check the size
of your RAM cache as well as any other INITS that might be taking up RAM that
FWP would like to have all to itself.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (02/16/88)

In article <41898@sun.uucp>, chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> >I thought that FW Pro Could run on a 1M Mac II?  A friend of mine got his
>
> >Mac II, Internal HD, Color (256K) card, monitor.
>
> color? Try running in two bit mode. Color takes up more memory, which is
> probably getting you in trouble.

Does using color really use more RAM?  I though t all of the color info was
stored on the video card, which has 256K RAM, yes?  This is an interesting
idea which I poo-poo'd because of the above thought.

dlt@csuna.UUCP (Dave Thompson) (02/16/88)

In article <6933@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
>I thought that FW Pro Could run on a 1M Mac II?  A friend of mine got his
>Pre-rel version, but when he tries to boot it up from HD on a Mac II, he
>gets to the opening screen, and then the program says that there is "not
>enough memory to perform this operation" which I assume is the opening of
>a blank  window.  When he tried to open a new file or an old file, he got
>the same message.  What gives?  Can you run FWP oin a 1M Mac II?

I notice that when running FWP the about the finder dialog box shows it
as eating up 1mb, System+Finder taking up about another 1/2 mb.  So that
may be part of the problem.  --  Except that yesterday, when I went to
print something on the laserwriter (connected to a 1mb SE) it worked
just fine (albeit S L O W).  Is there possibly something else in
memory?

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (02/17/88)

Tell your friend to turn off his RAM Cache and it will be okay.  FWP will run
on a 1MB Plus, SE, or II so long as it has the full meg to work with.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team

FELIX@KL.SRI.COM (Felix Ingrand) (02/17/88)

Turn the cache OFF...

Felix

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (02/18/88)

>In article <6933@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
>>I thought that FW Pro Could run on a 1M Mac II?  A friend of mine got his

You have to strip all the inits out of the Mac II system folder to
run FW pro on a Mac II.  For me, it ain't worth it.  So I'll wait until
my SIMMs come.