[comp.sys.mac] Versaterm 3.1 background "send file"

mjs1@nvuxg.UUCP (Michael Sonnier) (02/10/88)

I have experienced some problems using "Send File" from Versaterm 3.1 under
Multi-finder.  The file transfer works ok and I can switch back to multifinder
or to another application while the transfer is in progress.  However if I
have not returned to Versaterm when the transfer ends I get the beep
notice that transfer is finished (if that option is on) and then Versaterm
dies!  When I return to Versaterm there is an error window with message that
Versaterm has unexpectedly quit (or some such garbage...).  Has this happened
to anyone else?  Any ideas why?

My equipment:
Mac Plus

Here are the settings I use:
Text XModem
9600 Baud
Xon/Xoff active
8 bits 1 stop no parity
Direct connect to UNIX Sys V (no modem)
DEC VT100 emulation
Signal End of File Transfer On
Fast XModem w/o errors On
Communications - Modem Port

Thanks

Michael Sonnier
Bell Communications Research
Red Bank NJ
...!ihnp4!bellcore!nvuxg!mjs1

clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) (02/15/88)

From article <204@nvuxg.UUCP>, by mjs1@nvuxg.UUCP (Michael Sonnier):

> I have experienced some problems using "Send File" from Versaterm 3.1 under
> Multi-finder.  The file transfer works ok and I can switch back to multifinder
> or to another application while the transfer is in progress.  However if I
> have not returned to Versaterm when the transfer ends I get the beep
> notice that transfer is finished (if that option is on) and then Versaterm
> dies!  When I return to Versaterm there is an error window with message that
> Versaterm has unexpectedly quit (or some such garbage...).  Has this happened
> to anyone else?  Any ideas why?

Yes, it happens, and yes, ideas why.

Xon-Xoff flow control is dependent on the shutoff response happening before
the receive buffer actually overflows.  On many (especially Unix) systems with
front-end processors (which includes the archtecture of many minis and
super-micros, as well as mainframes), this timing can be long, if the
fep isn't carefully designed to prevent it.

Many dumbish terminals (some you doubtless know very well) don't really
flow-control successfully at 9600 baud or above.

Versaterm does seem to have a problem, specifically during that moment
when the window display is changing from the 'file transfer' setup
back to normal terminal screen.  For those of you without, the main
window shrinks, and a non-modal dialog comes up with a ruler, both
small enough that you can click things behind easily to do something
else while the transfer happens in the background).

I have the problem, only at the beginning of a transfer, if I try to
switch under Multifinder before the transition occurs.  When it happens,
same unexpected quit situation.  I think flow control failed, and that
Versaterm or its stack then gets overwritten.

I haven't observed the problem, even at 19.2kbaud, so long as I let
the windows change before changing to another task.  I also haven't
seen it ever at the end of a transfer, so wonder if you're really
getting the 'begin'.

As to why, or how to fix -- Versaterm either needs a longer internal
buffer for those of us who run it fast (it works so well, otherwise,
at speed -- really fast xmodem decoding), or there is a fix needed for
something about the window transition period.

It's a great program, just has a bug.  Still highly recommended.

Clive Steward

buckley@dalcs.UUCP (Bert Buckley) (02/17/88)

To be brief: Running Versaterm 3.1 with MF at 19.2, background file
transfers have worked fine for me, except that I get "File transfer
failed" if I am not back in VT when the end is reached. I will look
forward to a fix: I am reluctant to do background transfers in case
I don't get back in time.

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (02/17/88)

In article <6753@drutx.ATT.COM> clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) writes:
|From article <204@nvuxg.UUCP|, by mjs1@nvuxg.UUCP (Michael Sonnier):
|| I have experienced some problems using "Send File" from Versaterm 3.1 under
|| Multi-finder.  The file transfer works ok and I can switch back to multifinder
|| or to another application while the transfer is in progress.  However if I
|| have not returned to Versaterm when the transfer ends I get the beep
|
|Yes, it happens, and yes, ideas why.
|
|Xon-Xoff flow control is dependent on the shutoff response happening before
|the receive buffer actually overflows.  On many (especially Unix) systems with
|front-end processors (which includes the archtecture of many minis and
|super-micros, as well as mainframes), this timing can be long, if the
|fep isn't carefully designed to prevent it.

I talked to Lonnie Abelbeck,(the primary author, for those of you who don't
know) and he sheepishly admitted that he had put some hooks in for a future
feature, and a small bug crept in.  He stated that the currently (this was
around 1/1/88) shipping version is fixed.  This version is still called 3.1,
but look at the date in the "Welcome Box" when you fire up the program to
discern actual release date.

I haven't gotten around to upgrading yet.  It doesn't bother me THAT much.

|As to why, or how to fix -- Versaterm either needs a longer internal
|buffer for those of us who run it fast (it works so well, otherwise,
|at speed -- really fast xmodem decoding), or there is a fix needed for
|something about the window transition period.

I don't know what the bug actually was.

|It's a great program, just has a bug.  Still highly recommended.

Agreed. (SDA)
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

preese@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Phil Reese) (02/18/88)

In article <2779@dalcs.UUCP> buckley@dalcs.UUCP (Bert Buckley) writes:
>To be brief: Running Versaterm 3.1 with MF at 19.2, background file
>transfers have worked fine for me, except that I get "File transfer
>failed" if I am not back in VT when the end is reached. I will look
>forward to a fix: I am reluctant to do background transfers in case
>I don't get back in time.

While I haven't tried the specific situation that you describe I think it
is important to point out that there has been TWO upgrades to VersaTerm
since version 3.1.  I believe the current version is 3.20, Jan 10, 1988.
Lonnie has the interesting policy of making small changes to the program
but not bumping the version number.  Thus there was a version 3.2 in
October and now there is still version 3.2 but a release date of Jan 10.
He is very tuned to using MultiFinder so I would expect better performance
all around if you use the current version.

Phil Reese
SESAME Group
School of Ed, UC Berkeley
preese@garnet.berkeley.edu
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!garnet!preese