[comp.sys.mac] GC Hyperdrive - Reliable ???

wmbabineau@water.waterloo.edu (W. Michael Babineau) (02/02/88)

I am considering the purchase of a 20MEG hard disk for my MAC +.
A local dealer has a good bargain on General Computer Hyperdrives.
I have however, been getting a lot of bad vibes about Hyperdrives and
GC in general. I have seen comments in MACWORLD and have heard by word
of mouth that I should consider buying a different drive from a different
company. The dealer claims to have sold "tons of these drives" and has
yet to have anyone complain.

I would appreciate any comments from Hyperdrive owners or anyone who has
had any dealings with GC.

Thanks in advance...

seth@CS.UCLA.EDU (02/03/88)

In article <1395@water.waterloo.edu> wmbabineau@water.waterloo.edu (W. Michael Babineau) writes:

>I am considering the purchase of a 20MEG hard disk for my MAC +.
>A local dealer has a good bargain on General Computer Hyperdrives.
>I have however, been getting a lot of bad vibes about Hyperdrives and
>GC in general. I have seen comments in MACWORLD and have heard by word
>of mouth that I should consider buying a different drive from a different
>company. The dealer claims to have sold "tons of these drives" and has
>yet to have anyone complain.
>
>I would appreciate any comments from Hyperdrive owners or anyone who has
>had any dealings with GC.
>
>Thanks in advance...

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A HYPERDRIVE!

That may seem a bit severe but you will be buying a product which
is highly failure prone from a company which has negative customer
support.  I have a long list of gripes with GCC, the most recent
occurred when I called to report a bug in their software and was
told that there was no bug and that I was wrong.  Needless to say
the error is reproducible and if the idiot at the other end of the
phone knew anything about the product he would have understood the
problem.  Anyway, stay away.

						Seth Goldman

ARPA:   seth@CS.UCLA.EDU
UUCP:   ...!{ihnp4,cepu,trwspp,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!seth
USMail: A.I. Lab, 3531 Boelter Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA  90024
MaBell: (213) 825-5199

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (02/03/88)

I have a Hyperdrive 20 in my work mac. It is a 512KE. I ordered it in the
days before the Mac+ and SCSI ports. They had a reliability problem
for the first few months they were out, but GC got it fixed and it seems
to be reliable. Mine is in operation all day 5 days per week for two years
including some car trips. At the time a Hyperdrive was the best thing around.

Now, for the pluses & minuses
+ its internal, so it goes where the Mac goes with no extra bulk (but with
    extra weight.
+ For a non-SCSI drive it is fast. It will run circles around the old
   parallel port Apple hard drive. But it is a bit slower then a SCSI
   drive.
+ It comes with partitions, security and backup software as well as a
    laserwriter printer spooler.
- Since the drive is discontinued, there may not be software updates to
   enhance compatability with new Apple system software.
- Part of the reason that it is fast is that it uses part of your RAM.
   Applications that require a full 512K to run may not load in a 512K
   machine. You may run into similar problems with a 1Meg machine and
some of the new RAM hungry applications.
+ It has its own power supply.
+ It comes with an internal fan & the whole Mac runs cooler.
- It takes up space and some RAM or other upgrades may not fit.

Bottom line - My advice would be, if it is significantly cheaper then a
Jasmine 20 + SCSI port adapter and you do not need to run RAM hungry
applications off the hard drive ( If you boot from a floppy and work from
it the Hyperdrive is not engaged and you have your full 512K [assunming
thats what you are running]and can run applications that require the full
512K) go ahead & get the Hyperdrive. If the cost is close or higher to a
Jasmine 20 + SCSI adapter get a SCSI drive instead.

TeriAnn
Hewlett-Packard Corp. Quality

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/03/88)

>>The dealer claims to have sold "tons of these drives" and has
>>yet to have anyone complain.

I'd find a new dealer. Fast. I'd doubt he bothers to listen to his
customers.

>>I would appreciate any comments from Hyperdrive owners or anyone who has
>>had any dealings with GC.

>DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A HYPERDRIVE!

I'm not a HyperDrive owner, but I'd like to mention that when I was at
MacExpo, just about every time I walked by the GCC booth, someone was in
there complaining. This was the only booth where I consistently saw people
(existing customers) not only upset, but at times yelling. This happened at
least four times over two days, and it was never the same set of customers
twice.

The one time I stopped to watch to watch the sideshow, the person at the
booth did a couple of really nasty things. First, when someone asked for the
manager of the booth, the guy was told there wasn't one, and there was
nobody for him to talk to. Second, when the guy decided to tell the booth
lackey what he thought, the booth lackey walked off. Simply shined on this
customer and went elsewhere. This, rather understandably so, pissed the guy
off even more.

The final resolution of this case was that a person who worked for the
company that makes GCC's disk drives gave the guy the name of the person at
GCC to call. Not someone from GCC itself, they were all at the other side of
the booth telling people to ignore the idiot yelling in the corner. It was
one of their vendors calming him down and giving him the information he
wanted.

This sucks, to say the least. The GCC folks were only interested in talking
to prospective customers, and were not only unhelpful to existing folks,were
downright rude, unprofessional, and in one instance abusive. If this is any
indication of what the company is like, I'd sell my Mac before buying their
stuff. The only feeling anyone watching this could come away from is that
the only thing GCC cares about is getting your money -- once they have it,
your on your own.

And, for the record, it seems that their stuff breaks with every new release
of Apple's software. GCC was the first company with a mac hard drive, and
the last one to support HFS. You still can't run Multifinder on their
earlier stuff, because they haven't ported it in. As a comparison, my
ancient, cranky, Paradise 10 serial port runs Finder 6.0 and Multifinder
just fine, thank you very much. And it ran a LOT less than buying a GCC
product would have. The difference? it is slower, but it works.

If I were you, I'd buy anything else. And I'd find a dealer that tells you
truths, not what it takes to make a sale. Dealers love GCC. High profit
margins for everyone. Except for the customer.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

egg@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Edwin G. Green) (02/03/88)

In article <1395@water.waterloo.edu> wmbabineau@water.waterloo.edu (W. Michael Babineau) writes:
>I would appreciate any comments from Hyperdrive owners or anyone who has
>had any dealings with GC.

I have an HD20 that I have used with a 512k.  I had no problems with it
(for three years) until I upgraded to a plus.  Then my fan went out
(maybe a coincidence).  Now if I turn the power off on my Mac, part
of my system/finder gets trashed when I power up.

I don't think that I would buy another.  Almost forgot, GC has to customize
the system software.  Consequently, I am always operating with old
system software.
--
Edwin G. Green
AT&T Bell Laboratories		Naperville, Illinois, USA

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (02/03/88)

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Example: a couple of years ago, when I started at NASA/LaRC, we had about a
dozen Mac 512K machines, with HyperDrive 10's in them.

We had an 80 percent failure rate.

The HyperDrive system software is hacked. Badly. Whenever a revision to the
Apple system software comes out, the HyperDrive software breaks, usually in a
way that requires the hard disk to be reformatted.

You can spend the same money on a good external SCSI drive for the Mac Plus (I
use a Data Frame XP20) and get a faster, safer, and more reliable disk drive.

		--Rich

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (02/04/88)

facinating.... I didn't bother stopping by the GC booth at Macworld, but my
personal experiance with the company was quite different. I purchased
(actually my company purchased for my use) one of the early Hyperdrive 20s.
It died at about six months of age (was i happy I did regular backups!) and
required a new drive. I was most upset and sent GC a letter telling them
what I thought of a product that dies an early death and a company that
has a short warrentee. A couple of weeks later, I received a call from a GC
rep saying that he was told of my dissatisfaction. He told me that GC had
reliability problems with the Hyperdrive 20 but had corrected them. And
that they would send me a free 2 year free service contract, which showed
up in the mail a couple of days later. Perhaps I just happened to have my
letter read by the only conscientious rep in GC???? I hadn't realized
that my recomending the purchase of a GC product would produce such
strong condemnation of the company. Oh well....

TeriAnn

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/05/88)

In article <40838@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

|>DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A HYPERDRIVE!
|
|This sucks, to say the least. The GCC folks were only interested in talking
|to prospective customers, and were not only unhelpful to existing folks,were
|downright rude, unprofessional, and in one instance abusive. If this is any
|indication of what the company is like, I'd sell my Mac before buying their
|stuff. The only feeling anyone watching this could come away from is that
|the only thing GCC cares about is getting your money -- once they have it,
|your on your own.
|
|And, for the record, it seems that their stuff breaks with every new release
|of Apple's software. GCC was the first company with a mac hard drive, and
|the last one to support HFS. You still can't run Multifinder on their
|earlier stuff, because they haven't ported it in. As a comparison, my
|ancient, cranky, Paradise 10 serial port runs Finder 6.0 and Multifinder
|just fine, thank you very much. And it ran a LOT less than buying a GCC
|product would have. The difference? it is slower, but it works.
|
|If I were you, I'd buy anything else. And I'd find a dealer that tells you
|truths, not what it takes to make a sale. Dealers love GCC. High profit
|margins for everyone. Except for the customer.

I'll second Chuq's opinions about both GCC and Paradise.  GCC is one of
the two companies who's products I'll never buy (Microsoft is the other).
I've heard too many people complain about both the support and the quality
of the products they deliver to ever consider taking a chance with them.
As far as the Pardise 10 is concerned, I don't know how their support
stacks up because I've never had to call them.  The drive just works
(and works and ...).  The only reason it isn't in use now is that I
havn't figured out how to hook it up to my new Mac II (alright, so
the DataFrame XP 40 has a little something to do with it :-).  It's too
bad GCC is still in bussiness screwing Mac users and Paradise, while
still in business, isn't deliviering more high-quality products to Mac users
(they went back to the IBM PC market :-().

|chuq

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (02/05/88)

Funny thing, GCC used to be on the net.  I wonder if they can see all this
and don't think they need to defend themselves, or if they don't post
official positions, or if they don't read news anymore...

-Eric

Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (02/05/88)

In article <3992@husc6.harvard.edu> olson@endor.UUCP (Eric K. Olson) writes:
>Funny thing, GCC used to be on the net.  I wonder if they can see all this
>and don't think they need to defend themselves, or if they don't post
>official positions, or if they don't read news anymore...

>Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
>   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)

I haven't seen GCC on the net since about the time they moved from
Cambridge to Waltham.  I suspect internal conniptions in the company,
because they've also been using some rather unusual recruiting
measures:

	1. I got a direct mail solicitation from them to
	   call/write/send a resume. The cover letter spoke
	   in glowing terms of how I'd find it just as exciting
	   as MIT. A friend of mine received the same packet,
	   but it said BU in his copy.  I don't know how many
	   schools they covered.

	2. I got a personal phone call from a fellow who claimed
	   to be one of the company officers.  (I've forgotten
	   his name.)  I've never heard of a company where the
	   officers spend their evenings making "cold" recruiting
	   calls.  I did send a resume in response to this tactic,
	   but it took them over a month to get back to me and
	   I'd already started at Thinking Machines by then.

Draw your own conclusions.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

Lou@cup.portal.com (02/13/88)

Although I haven't had the first hand knowledge of GCC conduct that
cuq@sun.com had, i did work for a few months at an apple dealership.
almost all of the hyperdrives they installed were returned at one point
or another. some customers had their drive serviced more than a dozen
times.

now, there were some people who never had problems with their hyper-
drives. but they're the ones who also have growing gardens, low
insurance premiums, and a drawerful of winning lottery stubs.

robert@mcco.UUCP (Robert R. Andrews) (02/14/88)

In article <40838@sun.uucp>, chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> >DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A HYPERDRIVE!
[bunch of stuff condemning hyperdrive deleted]

> If I were you, I'd buy anything else. And I'd find a dealer that tells you
> truths, not what it takes to make a sale. Dealers love GCC. High profit
> margins for everyone. Except for the customer.
>
> chuq
> Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ
>
>                        What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
>                                     I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

Well I have one of those Hyperdrives.  And.....

Chuq is absoulutely right.   I cannot upgrade or enhance or anything to this
machine without throwing more money at it than I would spend buying a new
machine. With a larger drive.  The only good thing about it is that it is
fast.  I will eventually donate it to my university.  I wouldn't even want
to try and sell it.  Nobody would pay a resonable price (vs. my cost) and I
wouldn't want to do that to anybody. (well maybe my next door neighbor).
Once they've got you you stay got.  And then they don't even acknowledge
you're alive.  Their support is in the next dimension.  Updates?  Whats
that?  And if you're not paying 200 per month in support fees tough.  BTW
that just means that if your drive goes south they will fix it.  You still
pay shipping from their "authorized dealer" if he cannot fix it in house.
I'll never buy another system I can't take apart with my own hands.
Although if this one acts up again I'll take it apart, I just may not get it
back together again.

On a more interesting note.  I've got this 300 MB SCSI drive sitting here
and I'm going to hook it up to a friends Mac II.  Drool.  Somebody mentioned
a public domain SCSI driver out there.  Any info?  Does it include source?
What I'm really interested in is sharing partitions of it between a Mac and
an AT unix machine.  But that's a wish item.

Robert Andrews

uunet!uport!mcco!robert

Now that I've got MMU were do I get a MM disk? :^}

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (02/18/88)

My understanding is that if your 300MB SCSI drive was not built for a Mac
you might have some problems. Apple SCSI is not SCSI, they apparently
relesasef before the standard was final.