[comp.sys.mac] MacRecorder history

csaron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts) (02/18/88)

In article <507@aimt.UUCP> breck@aimt.UUCP (Robert Breckinridge Beatie) writes:
>[Re: the MacRecorder A/D converter, now being sold commercially as
> MacRecorder II by Farallon Computing]
>Anyway, when I was a BMUG member, they did sell kits for sound digitizers.
>They also had software that went with the hardware.  The software was (in my
>opinion) truly amazing.  Somebody did a truly remarkable piece of work.

Agreed.

The author of the original MacRecorder software was Michael Lamoureux, who
was working toward a Ph.D. in math at UC Berkeley at the time.  Some early
articles describing the the MacRecorder kit can be found in the Fall
1985 issue of the Berkeley Macintosh Users Group (BMUG) newsletter:

o Ty Shipman, "MacRecorder:  A Speech digitizer for the Macintosh," p. 51-57;
o Michael Lamoureux, "MacRecorder II:  An improved voice digitizer for
  the Macintosh," p. 58-60; and
o Michael Lamoureux, "The MacRecorder Software," p. 61-65 (including a
  highly-condensed two-page source listing (MacForth).

The first demo I saw back in '85 was impressive.  Even more so was
Michael's attitude.  He was modest about his accomplishment, and seemed
genuinely surprised by the wildly enthusiastic ovation which followed
his MacRecorder demonstration.  He was also very interested in and
responsive to suggestions for improvements, possible applications, and the
like.

Perhaps someone connected with BMUG or Farallon might wish to fill us
in on the more recent history of this product--which now rates a
full-page ad on the back cover of the latest MacWeek!

   Aron Roberts  Tolman Microcomputer Facility
                 1535 Tolman Hall, University of California
                 Berkeley, CA 94720  (415) 642-2251
                 csaron@garnet.Berkeley.EDU   CSARON@UCBCMSA.BITNET