[comp.sys.mac] Help: "zchki" error on Kermit download

suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) (02/17/88)

I've ftp-ed some files from sumex that will xbin okay on my Unix
host, but the .hqx files can't be downloaded via Kermit.  The first
packet is received okay and the file name appears, but then an error
message "zchki failed:  -37" appears repeatedly with only an "OK"
button.  The only way out is to reboot or disconnect the modem.

If I ftp again, the new files do the same thing.  This has happened
with:
	hypercard-xfcn-sort-find-xref.hqx
	hypercard-xfcn-open-save-dialogs.hqx

Any suggestions?  If I Xbin on Unix, what do I do with the three
resulting files to get a usable application or document?

Thanks.
--
Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903

phd@SPEECH1.CS.CMU.EDU (Paul Dietz) (02/18/88)

In article <2560@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
>I've ftp-ed some files from sumex that will xbin okay on my Unix
>host, but the .hqx files can't be downloaded via Kermit.  The first
>packet is received okay and the file name appears, but then an error
>message "zchki failed:  -37" appears repeatedly with only an "OK"
>button.  The only way out is to reboot or disconnect the modem.
>
>If I ftp again, the new files do the same thing.  This has happened
>with:
>	hypercard-xfcn-sort-find-xref.hqx
>	hypercard-xfcn-open-save-dialogs.hqx

I noticed this problem quite some time ago. It only seems to happen
on long file names. I just rename all the files to shorter names before
I use kermit, and everything runs smoothly!

(Anybody care to write a short utility to do this automatically?)

Paul H. Dietz                                        ____          ____
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering        / oo \        <_<\\\
Carnegie Mellon University                        /|  \/  |\        \\ \\
--------------------------------------------     | | (  ) | |       | ||\\
"If God had meant for penguins to fly,             -->--<--        / / |\\\  /
he would have given them wings."            _________^__^_________/ / / \\\\-

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (02/18/88)

In article <2560@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
>I've ftp-ed some files from sumex that will xbin okay on my Unix
>host, but the .hqx files can't be downloaded via Kermit.  The first
>packet is received okay and the file name appears, but then an error
>message "zchki failed:  -37" appears repeatedly with only an "OK"
>button.  The only way out is to reboot or disconnect the modem.

 Error -37 is bad file name. Translation: the file name is too long. This is
one thing which really iritates me when I see it in a transfer program
especially when, as in kermit, it gets you locked into some funny mode.
change the filename to something shorter then redownload.
 PIerce Wetter

"All my friends and I are crazy.  That's the only thing that keeps us
sane."

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu