[comp.sys.mac] Anyone know how to make A/UX recognize tape drive?

buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) (01/29/88)

I want to backup the filesystem of our A/UX onto the apple tape drive.

The tape drive is connected to the Mac II, but I don't seem to be able to
access it.

Any UNIX people out tthere know how to mount it?  Thank you.
--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall 					(609) 520-1271

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (02/06/88)

In article <1577@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
> The tape drive is connected to the Mac II, but I don't seem to be able to
> access it.
> Any UNIX people out tthere know how to mount it?  Thank you.

You can't 'mount' a tape drive under Unix, mount only works for block
devices like disk drives.  To use a tape, you have to know the device
name for it.  You can read and write to/from the tape with tar, cpio,
dump, or dd (depeding on your system).  The device is probably called
something like /dev/rmt0.
--
	{backbones}!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wes

	"Against Stupidity, The Gods Themselves Contend in Vain."
							-- Asimov

brian@hpfclm.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) (02/11/88)

"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain"
- some ancient greek playwright (Asimov quotes him)

garyb@hpmwtla.HP.COM (Gary Bringhurst) (02/11/88)

>You can't 'mount' a tape drive under Unix, mount only works for block
>devices like disk drives.

HP-UX (Hewlett-Packard's port of Unix) allows you to mount a cartridge tape
drive as a block device, although it beats on the tape pretty hard if you do
it very often.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Gary L. Bringhurst

macbeth@artecon.UUCP (Beckwith) (02/13/88)

In article <10620017@hpfclm.HP.COM> brian@hpfclm.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) writes:

>"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain"
>- some ancient greek playwright (Asimov quotes him)

	"Mit der Dummheit kampfen Gotter selbst vergebens"

		- Friedrich Von Schiller

We now return you to "Fun with A/UX, or 10 MEG OF USER SPACE??!!"...

--
+ David Macy-Beckwith  Artecon, Inc. {sdcsvax,hplabs}!hp-sdd!artecon!macbeth  +
+ The Company has enough on its plate    ||   "I didn't come here to argue!"  +

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (02/18/88)

In article <35@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <1577@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
>> The tape drive is connected to the Mac II, but I don't seem to be able to
>> access it.
>> Any UNIX people out tthere know how to mount it?  Thank you.
>
>You can't 'mount' a tape drive under Unix, mount only works for block
>devices like disk drives.  To use a tape, you have to know the device
>name for it.  You can read and write to/from the tape with tar, cpio,
>dump, or dd (depeding on your system).  The device is probably called
>something like /dev/rmt0.
	The Apple Tape Drive is currently not supported by A/UX.

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi