[comp.sys.mac] MS-Word 3.01 bug?

keesh@cwi.nl (Kees van't Hoff) (02/12/88)

I have had a problem with MS-Word 3.01 twice in the last two weeks and
unfortunately I cannot reproduce it.
While typing I use a lot of short-cuts. Now it has happened twice that I
cannot use the short-cuts Shift-Command-S (enter a style name in the lower
left box) and Command-backspace (enter a glossary name in the lower left
corner) anymore. Everything else works perfect. When I try to type one of the
shortcuts, the lower left corner flashes very shortly, but it is impossible
to type in a name. Going through the menu works fine. When I quit Word and
restart it, my problem is gone. BTW I run everything in the switcher.
My guess is that I type some magic unknown short-cut (a typing error on my
side), that messes things up.
Lights anyone?
Thanks in advance.
--
Kees van't Hoff

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/17/88)

>I have had a problem with MS-Word 3.01 twice in the last two weeks and
>unfortunately I cannot reproduce it.

>While typing I use a lot of short-cuts. Now it has happened twice that I
>cannot use the short-cuts Shift-Command-S (enter a style name in the lower
>left box) and Command-backspace (enter a glossary name in the lower left
>corner) anymore.

I've seen this twice. A far as I can tell, something is screwing up low
memory, and Word gets confused. In one case, I actually had to reboot the
computer to make it go away -- it existed across different executions of the
program, even if I ran something different in between. This happened to me
before Multifinder.

I brought it to the attention of Microsoft when I saw it. They sounded
mystified. I haven't seen it since upgrading to system release 5.0 and
Multifinder, though...

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

udell@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Jon Udell) (02/18/88)

In article <399@turing.cwi.nl> keesh@cwi.nl (Kees van't Hoff) writes:
>I cannot use the short-cuts Shift-Command-S (enter a style name in the lower
>left box) and Command-backspace (enter a glossary name in the lower left
>corner) anymore. Everything else works perfect. When I try to type one of the
>shortcuts, the lower left corner flashes very shortly, but it is impossible
>to type in a name. Going through the menu works fine. When I quit Word and
>restart it, my problem is gone.

I had the same problem once after updating my System file, but it wasn't
intermittent.  I found (or thought that I found) that the "Monitors" file
was required in the System folder to make these features work.  Since then
I haven't had any recurrences of the problem.  I did have a similar problem
occur lately, though.  Shift-Command-> (increase font size) would not work,
although Shift-Command-< did work.  Rebooting solved the problem.

Jon

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (02/19/88)

In article <399@turing.cwi.nl> keesh@cwi.nl (Kees van't Hoff) writes:
>I cannot use the short-cuts Shift-Command-S (enter a style name in the lower
>left box) and Command-backspace (enter a glossary name in the lower left
>corner) anymore. Everything else works perfect. When I try to type one of the
>shortcuts, the lower left corner flashes very shortly, but it is impossible
>to type in a name. Going through the menu works fine. When I quit Word and
>restart it, my problem is gone.

I have seen it too on my 512KE, System 3.2.  It seems to come and go at
random, I've never been able to discern any cause.  I do not use many
shortcuts at all, just this one occasionally.

! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"