[comp.sys.mac] Suitcase / Mouse Problems...

drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) (02/19/88)

I received the following today:
>From sdcsvax!ucsd.edu!uunet!DREA-GRIFFIN.ARPA!Peter  Thu Feb 18 06:42:31 1988 remote from jack
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 09:06 AST
From: Peter J Gergely <sdcsvax!ucsd.edu!uunet!DREA-GRIFFIN.ARPA!Peter>
Subject: Double Clicking sometimes doesn't work
To: wolf!drew, Sun.COM!ereid%moth
Cc: DREA-XX.ARPA!g.mcdougall
Alias-Address: GERGELY@DREA-XX.ARPA
Alias-Address: PETER@DIAL|DREA-Griffin
Postal-Address: 9 Grove St., P.O. Box 1012, Dartmouth, NS  B2Y 3Z7, Canada
Phone-Number: (902) 426-3100 x 215 [8:30am to 4:15pm Atlantic time]
Template-For-Reply: COMPATIBLE-1R-REPLY-TEMPLATE

Gentlemen:

	I have read your messages concerning how sometimes double-
clicking in System 4.2 doesn't work.  What I have to say may be
unrelated, but may prove useful on some count.

	Last night, I was at a friends house (g.mcdougall@drea-xx.arpa)
who was demonstrating how sometimes (95%) his system (on a GCC FX-20, on
a 1MB Mac Plus ) would not load Suitcase upon a fresh boot.  When this
happened, double-clicking would not work opening a file, or folder,
until the first time a folder was opened.

	Suspecting the desktop, I created a small system 4.2 floppy,
with nothing else except Suitcase.  Booting revealed the same problem,
but booting holding down the clover-option keys to rebuild the desktop
worked just fine.  That is, if I rebuilt the desktop everything looked
fine, but reboot and it was back to the problem.

	Strange, I said, so I loaded keycaps to see if there were any
stuck keys.  Sure enough, the shift was highlighted.  The problem was
that the "/" was broken on the keypad of the MacPlus keyboard producing
the shift and one of the arrows.  Replacing the keyboard with his hold
Mac 512 one solved all the problems.

	As I said, this may be unrelated to the key mask problem of
Milles Bornes under Multifinder, but we are happy to have solved this
particular one.  As I cannot forward this to comp.sys.mac, I would
appreciate if one of you would please do so.

	- Peter

--
Peter J. Gergely (DREA, P.O. Box 1012, Dartmouth, NS  B2Y 3Z7  Canada)
      ARPANET:  gergely@DREA-XX.ARPA (preferred)