[comp.sys.mac] Megamax C query

faulkner@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Bill Faulkner) (02/18/88)

Many years ago, when the Macintosh was a young computer, I bought Megamax C
for it.  Now I know that my current version of Megamax C does not work with
my SE, I am wondering if Megamax is still around (I haven't seen any ads
for them anywhere) and if they have a new version of their compiler that works
on an SE. Please don't let this start a LSC is better than MPW C arguement,
I am only really interested in Megamax C since I already have it and I
don't want to spend much money to get a working C compilier.

Thanks
Bill Faulkner

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (02/19/88)

In article <1168@hao.ucar.edu>, faulkner@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Bill Faulkner) writes:
> Many years ago, when the Macintosh was a young computer, I bought Megamax C
> for it.  Now I know that my current version of Megamax C does not work with
> my SE, I am wondering if Megamax is still around (I haven't seen any ads
> for them anywhere) and if they have a new version of their compiler that works
> on an SE. Please don't let this start a LSC is better than MPW C arguement,
> I am only really interested in Megamax C since I already have it and I
> don't want to spend much money to get a working C compilier.

I recently wrote a C compiler comparison for Macintosh Today and one of the
five compilers covered was Megamax.  It's still around, still lists for $300,
still works very modally, and works across the 512, Plus, SE, and II lines.
The one place where it seems to have a bit of a problem is under MultiFinder
(both it and many "stdio"-type programs which you write with it).  To Megamax's
credit, they don't claim MultiFinder compatibility so this isn't too shocking.
I get the impression that the majority of their efforts are either in the ST or
Amiga markets, but they do seem to still be interested in supporting their
existing customer base on the Mac.  My guess is that they decided they couldn't
afford the expense involved in trying to market the product against LSC and the
others.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Macintosh Division
dBASE Mac Development Team
Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!