[comp.sys.mac] Is MacRecorder what BMUG sold for $20?

EE2Y@CRNLVAX5.BITNET (02/17/88)

Robert Dorsett writes:

>Is this the same MacRecorder that BMUG was selling as a kit two years ago?
>The MacRecorder, which (as a kit) cost $45, if you bought it from them, or
>something like $20, if you put it together?  One could download the specs
>and software from their BBS for about $5 in long-distance charges...

No, to my knowledge, we're talking about a different product.  The MacRecorder
I reviewed was not available 2 years ago; it was just released in Jan. '88.

By the way, I'm still selling them if you're interested.

Brian Campbell
ee2y@crnlvax5.ccs.cornell.edu        INTERNET

Cornell Univ.

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73539000) (02/17/88)

I use a MacRecorder. The New Farallon one, not the old kit sold by BMUG. The
BMUG kit was made by the same person who later designed the Farallon
MacRecorder. The hardware is entirely new, and much improved. (No power
supply needed, etc.) The new unit comes with the BEST Mac Audio editing
software available anywhere. It is clearly worth the money, especially for
Mac II owners who love STEREO sound. I know, I have a MacRecorder, and
some really neat stereo sounds, including left-right fades, and stereo
recordings of songs.

~  Alexander M. Rosenberg  ~ INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   ~ Yoyodyne    ~
~  Crown College, UCSC     ~ UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba~ Propulsion  ~
~  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    ~ BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  ~ Systems     ~
~  (408) 426-8869	   ~ Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  ~ :-)         ~
~			   ~ so nobody cares what I say.	~	      ~

breck@aimt.UUCP (Robert Breckinridge Beatie) (02/17/88)

In article <8802162345.AA05719@jade.berkeley.edu>, EE2Y@CRNLVAX5.BITNET writes:
> Robert Dorsett writes:
> >Is this the same MacRecorder that BMUG was selling as a kit two years ago?
>
> No, to my knowledge, we're talking about a different product.  The MacRecorder
> I reviewed was not available 2 years ago; it was just released in Jan. '88.

Well, at least I think it's likely that the two are related.  MacRecorder is
from Farallon and Farallon is a bunch of organizers of BMUG who decided to
form their own company so they could sell "for profit" what the BMUG
members donated to the "non-profit" BMUG.  Well, I don't think they donated
it *to* BMUG, but BMUG was making the kits available at one time.  And I think
that the original developer was a BMUG member.

Anyway, when I was a BMUG member, they did sell kits for sound digitizers.
They also had software that went with the hardware.  The software was (in my
opinion) truly amazing.  Somebody did a truly remarkable piece of work.  I'm
kind of wondering if the people who did the original work are getting any
monetary benefit from their work.

Now I'm not saying that Farallon hasn't done a lot of work with MacRecorder
(and PhoneNet by the way) to turn it into a real "product".  I suspect that
in fact they have.  Nor am I saying that Farallon doesn't deserve, either
legally or morally, any money they can make off these products.  But it does
seem pretty stupid to pay Farallon when you can get something similar from
BMUG for a lot less.  Of course, it might not be possible to get these kits
from BMUG.  It's been a long time since I was a member.
--
Breck Beatie
{uunet,ames!coherent}!aimt!breck

korn@apple.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (02/18/88)

In article <507@aimt.UUCP> breck@aimt.UUCP (Robert Breckinridge Beatie) writes:

>  [MacRecorder was a BMUG product, sold `not for profit` a while back...]
>
>Now I'm not saying that Farallon hasn't done a lot of work with MacRecorder
>(and PhoneNet by the way) to turn it into a real "product".  I suspect that
>in fact they have.  Nor am I saying that Farallon doesn't deserve, either
>legally or morally, any money they can make off these products.  But it does
>seem pretty stupid to pay Farallon when you can get something similar from
>BMUG for a lot less.  Of course, it might not be possible to get these kits
>from BMUG.  It's been a long time since I was a member.

Several people on this network have suggested that charging $200 for
Farallon`s MacRecorder isn`t all that kosher, considering that the original
MacRecorder kit from BMUG was $50.

I want to point out that that $50 was relatively close to BMUG cost.
Farallon, on the other hand, took it out of kit form, put it into a hard
plastic molded case, removed the need for a power supply, added in software
written by Steve Capps that is extremely impressive (and you thought that
the old software was impressive), and is selling it through the normal dealer
& distributer networks.

First, the store that sells it to you for $200 list is probably getting
it at $120.  They get it from a distributer, who is in actuality paying
probably something close to $80.  If $50 is anywhere near the parts cost that
non-profit BMUG charged, and we have the addition of software, printed manual,
hard case, etc. etc. one cannot guess that Farallon is making money
hand-over-fist on this one.

Having played with both products (BMUG`s and Farallon`s), I certainly
feel that the new MacRecorder is four times the older one in capabilities,
interface, ease of use, manual, hypercard stack interface, etc.  I would
also seriously doubt that most stores are demanding the list $200 for it.

Nice as our capitalistic modern distribution system is here in America,
it comes not withough cost.  The dealer`s cut; the distributer`s cut;
(oftentimes) the salesperson`s individual cut; all add $$s to the cost.

Too bad shareware doesn`t work.

Peter

isle@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ken Hancock) (02/20/88)

In article <7435@apple.UUCP> korn@apple.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:
>In article <507@aimt.UUCP> breck@aimt.UUCP (Robert Breckinridge Beatie) writes:
>>
>>  [MacRecorder was a BMUG product, sold `not for profit` a while back...]

[[ excessive text deleted ]]

MY question is could one still get a kit from BMUG?  I'm a student.
I don't have $200 to spend, but I could dish out $50.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                        |    UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Personal Computing Ctr. Consultant |  BITNET: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu