[comp.sys.mac] Ashton-Tate

liemandt@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (02/11/88)

Ashton-Tate announced today that they had purchased Ann Arbor Softworks and
its acclaimed paint program, FullPaint and their soon-to-be released word
processor, FullWrite Professional.

Some of Ann Arbors programmers will be joining the Ashton-Tate development
team which is relocating from So Cal to Silicon Valley.

Also, Ashton-Tate announced their new spreadsheet and a run-time version
of dBase Mac.

I saw the above in today's Wall Street Journal.
I wonder why Ann Arbor sold out?  It looks like Ashton-Tate is going full
force into the Mac market, just hope the spreadsheet is better than
dBase Mac.

One more important thing,  it said FullWrite would not be released until
APRIL.  more waiting.

Joe Liemandt
Stanford University

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73539000) (02/11/88)

Should we assume that Ann Arbor was developing FullCalc to be
an Ashton-Tate product in the first place? (FullCalc was supposed
to be shown by Ann Arbor at their booth at MacWorld, so sayeth the
show guide. An Ann Arbor employee, when asked about it said,
"FullWhat??? I never heard of such a thing.")

Anyway, FullCalc = Glass is a correct equation, then, right???

~  Alexander M. Rosenberg  ~ INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   ~ Yoyodyne    ~
~  Crown College, UCSC     ~ UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba~ Propulsion  ~
~  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    ~ BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  ~ Systems, Inc~
~  (408) 426-8869	   ~ Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  ~ :-)         ~
~			   ~ so nobody cares what I say.	~	      ~

chuq@plaid.UUCP (02/11/88)

>Should we assume that Ann Arbor was developing FullCalc to be
>an Ashton-Tate product in the first place? (FullCalc was supposed
>to be shown by Ann Arbor at their booth at MacWorld, so sayeth the
>show guide. An Ann Arbor employee, when asked about it said,
>"FullWhat??? I never heard of such a thing.")

The spreadsheet that AT announced isn't FullCalc, but a spreadsheet by the
folks who wrote the original MacWrite. If FullCalc ever existed, I'd now
guess that it's dead and gone.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (02/12/88)

>Alexander M. Rosenberg writes:

>Anyway, FullCalc = Glass is a correct equation, then, right???
Nope, Randy Wigginton and the boys at Encore (developed MacWrite) wrote
Glass/GraphsheetMac/Full Impact. Saw a demo of what existed about 2 months
after Excel came out, looked sort of neat then but I think they are just a
tad late in this market (but then they are not alone, look at Modern Jazz!).

Now If only you guys had listened to me back in January when I said that
AT was buying FullWrite...Ah well I guess you don't want to know about
apples laptop or those wild addon boards that Radius is developing either 8-)
David L. Williams
dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM
...!hplabs!hpda!dlw

Hewlett Packard, Cupertino Ca
Software Development Technology Laboratory
Distributed Computing Environment Project
"What if Apple put a SPARC on a Nubus card?"
The views expressed above are mine! not Hp's. They are also in the Public
Domain.

lyman@eos.UUCP (Lyman Taylor) (02/12/88)

Distribution:world

In article <8802110454.AA13866@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> liemandt@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (Joe Liemandt) writes:

>Ashton-Tate announced today that they had purchased Ann Arbor Softworks and
>its acclaimed paint program, FullPaint and their soon-to-be released word
>processor, FullWrite Professional.
>
>Some of Ann Arbors programmers will be joining the Ashton-Tate development
>team which is relocating from So Cal to Silicon Valley.

	I thought that AAS programmer's where located in Ann Arbor MI  and
that only the marketing types where located in Southern Cal.  Regardless
of where they where originally located, hopefully Ashton-Tate has hired
ALL of the programmers associated with FullWrite since a program this
*huge* probably isn't understood by just a few.  Maybe this has something
to do with the delays :-).  There must be multi MB of source for a program
that compiles down to a measly 700 someodd K.

	Without the dictionary !!!!!!

	Perhaps part of the problem with FullWrite was getting it to fit
on ONE disk ( the application that is )

	Other than that it looks like a great product ( in the rough ).

lyman@eos.arc.nasa.gov     or
	...{uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!eos!lyman

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (02/12/88)

In article <1926@saturn.ucsc.edu>, alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73539000) writes:
> Should we assume that Ann Arbor was developing FullCalc to be
> an Ashton-Tate product in the first place? (FullCalc was supposed
> to be shown by Ann Arbor at their booth at MacWorld, so sayeth the
> show guide. An Ann Arbor employee, when asked about it said,
> "FullWhat??? I never heard of such a thing.")
>
> Anyway, FullCalc = Glass is a correct equation, then, right???

No, sorry.  Glass was an early code name for the product which will be released
as FullImpact.  It is being developed by Encore Systems (the same folks who did
the original MacWrite for Apple) and has been in development by Encore for A-T
for quite a while.  FullCalc was something that was being developed for AAS
that was not acquired because A-T already had Full Impact, which is nearly
ready.  I don't know the status of FullCalc, but rumors have it that it was
not very far along, with most of the AAS development effort being poured into
FWP.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer:  Any and all opinions expressed above are _MINE_.

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (02/15/88)

In article <301@dbase.UUCP> drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) writes:
>No, sorry.  Glass was an early code name for the product which will be released
>as FullImpact.  It is being developed by Encore Systems [ ... ]
    ^^^^^^^^^^
As an aside, is this the dumbest name you've ever heard or what?  Sounds like
an airbag system, or maybe a Chuck Norris movie...

                             Cannon Films
                          in association with
                       Exploitation International
                               presents

                             Chuck Norris
                                  in
                             FULL IMPACT!

                               Rated R
                    Now playing at a theater near you...

:-) :-)  [ needless to say ]

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (02/20/88)

In article <175@eos.UUCP> lyman@eos.UUCP (Lyman Taylor) types:
>	Perhaps part of the problem with FullWrite was getting it to fit
>on ONE disk ( the application that is )

When I spoke with one of the programmers at the Boston MacWorld Expo, he
admitted that this was one of their problems (speed was the other problem-
most of the "hands-on" machines, and all of the demo machines there were
accelerated Macs).

Robert Hammen		Computer Applications	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104