[comp.sys.mac] A/UX HD80SC replacement

ws0n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Walter Ray Smith) (02/19/88)

1. Apple should let you take your existing drive into a dealer, pay him
something (I can't figure out what, but that's their job), copy A/UX onto it,
and leave.

2. If they insist on giving you a new drive with A/UX on it, they should let
you trade in your old one for SUBSTANTIAL savings.

Both of these two solutions is obvious.  Either one seems fair.  Having
neither is ridiculous and very, very disappointing, both to people who bought
80MB drives in anticipation of Unix and simple Apple-watchers like myself.

- Walt

ws0n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Walter Ray Smith) (02/19/88)

Sorry, I was wrong.  If you bought a non-Apple drive, it's not reasonable to
expect Apple to take it in trade.  Also, it could be bigger than 80 MB, so it
wouldn't be reasonable to expect you to trade it.  Thus, the only reasonable
thing is #1: Apple should allow dealers to install A/UX on any arbitrary >80MB
disk that A/UX supports, for not much money.

- Walt
--
       Walter Smith, CS graduate student, Carnegie-Mellon University
    uucp: ...!seismo!cmucspt!wrs      ARPA: Walter.Smith@andrew.cmu.edu

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (02/20/88)

In article <IW75mhy00hl1gqg0RI@andrew.cmu.edu> ws0n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Walter Ray Smith) writes:
> Apple should allow dealers to install A/UX on any arbitrary >80MB
>disk that A/UX supports, for not much money.

This raises a question in my mind: what disks ARE supported under A/UX? We
know the Apple Quantum 80 is, as well as a CDC Wren IV. Will third parties
presumably be able to write drivers that will allow their disks to work
with A/UX? Inquiring minds want to know.

Robert Hammen		Computer Applications	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104