[comp.sys.mac] SCREENS HURT EYES

dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) (07/22/87)

My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under
the eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.

Another screen was mildly irritating; I had to use it with the
intensity turned down low.

I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens have never hurt my eyes.

The screens which bothered me had purple tint or blue with slight purple
tint.  I have inspected some of them; mfr is Clinton Taiwan Corp.

Has anyone encountered problems like this?  If so, please reply
to me directly.  You can also post on this bulletin board.

Howard L. Dyckman, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Phillips Hall,
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.
     dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

chapman@lll-lcc.aRpA (Carol Chapman) (07/23/87)

In article <1767@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
>My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
>Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under
>the eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.
>
>Has anyone encountered problems like this?

I bought a Maccessories Circular Polarizing Filter from:

Kensington Microware Ltd.
251 Park Avenue South
New York, N. Y.  10010          (800) 535-4242

I have been using it for almost a year now and have been very happy with it.
It's very nice on the eyes!

Carol Chapman

earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) (07/25/87)

In article <1767@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
> My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
> Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under
> the eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.

These symptoms are identical to those produced by over-exposure to ultra violet
light.  They can be duplicated by spending a day in the mountains without one's
sunglasses.  If you obtain a pair of sunglasses with * glass * lenses, this may
provide some relief.  They don't have to be dark, just glass.

I am not a medical person, but I seem to recall hearing somewhere that ultra violet
light can cause permanent damage to living tissue.  Doesn't sound like a real healthy
situation.

*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (07/28/87)

In article <6752@dartvax.UUCP> earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>In article <1767@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
>> My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
>> Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under
>> the eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.
>These symptoms are identical to those produced by over-exposure to ultra violet
>light.  They can be duplicated by spending a day in the mountains without one's
>sunglasses. If you obtain a pair of sunglasses with * glass * lenses, this may
>provide some relief.  They don't have to be dark, just glass.
>*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

My sister got a special kind of lenses the last time that she purchased
prescription glasses.  They have a coating on them that is designed to
reduce glare from CRT's.  They are actually some kind of plastic lenses, as
well.  I think that she had had symptoms of dryness before getting the new
glasses, but they have disappeared with the glasses.  Unfortunately, the
lenses were more expensive, of course.

terrorist cryptography DES drugs cipher secret decode NSA CIA NRO IRS
coke crack pot LSD russian missile atom nuclear assassinate libyan RSA

(NSA line eater food and space fill)

++Eric

dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) (07/31/87)

In article <> eric@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) writes:
>In article <6752@dartvax.UUCP> earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>>In article <1767@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
>>> My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
>>> Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under
>>> the eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.
>>These symptoms are identical to those produced by overexposure to ultraviolet
>>light. They can be duplicated by spending day in the mountains without one's
>>sunglasses. If you obtain a pair of sunglasses with * glass * lenses, this may
>>provide some relief.  They don't have to be dark, just glass.
>>*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *
>
>My sister got a special kind of lenses the last time that she purchased
>prescription glasses.  They have a coating on them that is designed to
>reduce glare from CRT's.  They are actually some kind of plastic lenses, as
>well.  I think that she had had symptoms of dryness before getting the new
>glasses, but they have disappeared with the glasses.  Unfortunately, the
>lenses were more expensive, of course.
>++Eric

As an ophthalmologist, I have seen many computer-related eye problems.
All of them have turned out to be *NOT* due to the computer equipment
itself, except when an out-of-focus or flickering system causes eyestrain.
A very common problem is "Dry Eye Syndrome" (keratitis sicca).  It is
due to relative deficiency of lubricating tears one the surface of the
eye, not related to one's ability to cry.

Staring at anything, but particularly a terminal, reduces the blink
rate.  Tear evaporation takes place, and air "burns" the conjunctiva
and cornea.  This leads to dryness, grittyness, foreign body
sensation, burning, and sometimes photophobia (light sensitivity).  It
can feel just like UV keratitis (corneal burn).  They can be
distinguished by the pattern of the irritation.  The corneal tear film
is stained with fluoroscein dye, and examined under cobalt blue  light
at a slit lamp, or with a hand-held long-wave UV source.  In UV
exposure, the cornea is uniformly stained in the area between the
lids.  In dry eye syndrome, the stain is mostly along the inferior
cornea, just above the lower lid margin and centrally, with very
little near the upper lid.

Treatment is the same, but UV burn takes 1-2 days to heal, whereas dry
eye heals overnight.  One uses artificial tears, an over-the-counter
preparation, every 1-2 hours, ointment at bedtime optional.

I should note that this happens at any concentrated activity; reading,
TV, movies, etc. The terminal exacerbation may be due to the dryness
of the typical office environment.  Another theory is that the machine
builds up a static charge.  The operator takes on this charge also.
It then acts like an electrostatic dust precipitator, and irritants
are attracted to the eyes.  (Look at your CRT screen someday, it's
usually dusty from this cause.  Lightly touch the CRT face with the
hairs on the back of your hand and feel the static attraction.)

Eyestrain is related to the inability of the eye to focus clearly on a
plane, leading to fatigue as the focus mechanism "hunts".  CRT glasses
are promoted to relieve this, basically by increasing contrast,
similar to CRT filter anti-glare screens.  The color in the glasses
also helps reduce overhead glare.  They are fairly light color tints.

Eyestrain also comes from prolonged focus at a particular distance;
the muscles get tired or cramped.  This is aided by plus-power lenses
(like reading glasses) focused at the distance of the terminal.  Also,
keep any material being copied from at the same distance and angle as
the CRT, by using a copy stand, to reduce the back and forth
accommodation changes.
David Robins, M.D.
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation
(previously known as: Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Sciences)
2232 Webster St; San Francisco CA 94115
415/561-1705 (voice)
			{ihnp4,qantel,dual}!ptsfa!ski!dr

The opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of the Institute!

dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) (08/07/87)

Eyes hurt much worse than what Dr. Robins describes.

In article <993@ski.UUCP> dr@unix.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>As an ophthalmologist, I have seen many computer-related eye problems.
>All of them have turned out to be *NOT* due to the computer equipment
>itself, except when an out-of-focus or flickering system causes eyestrain.
>... Staring at anything, but particularly a terminal, reduces the blink
>rate.  Tear evaporation takes place, and air "burns" the conjunctiva
>and cornea.  This leads to dryness, grittyness, foreign body
>sensation, burning, and sometimes photophobia (light sensitivity).  It
>can feel just like UV keratitis (corneal burn).  ...
>Treatment is the same, but UV burn takes 1-2 days to heal, whereas dry
>eye heals overnight.  One uses artificial tears, an over-the-counter
>preparation, every 1-2 hours, ointment at bedtime optional.

My eyes have been sore, dry, and sensitive for four months, not 1-2 days.
They are recovering slowly.  At one time, my eyes were so dry that mild
breezes bothered them, making it very uncomfortable to take a walk
outdoors.  These and other symptoms were caused by some recent Macintosh
computer screens (SE, Plus).  They have a harsh feeling to my eyes
which often becomes apparent after brief use.  Prior to this
experience, other exposures produced symptoms which lasted for days.

I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens have never hurt my eyes.

Dr. Robins's reply is well meant but is not the explanation for
my symptoms.

If you know of anyone who has had similar problems (perhaps
milder or shorter lasting) please contact me.

Here is a copy of my original message:

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (08/08/87)

In article <1924@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
>Eyes hurt much worse than what Dr. Robins describes.

>My eyes have been sore, dry, and sensitive for four months, not 1-2 days.
>They are recovering slowly.  At one time, my eyes were so dry that mild
>breezes bothered them, making it very uncomfortable to take a walk
>outdoors.  These and other symptoms were caused by some recent Macintosh
>computer screens (SE, Plus).  They have a harsh feeling to my eyes
>which often becomes apparent after brief use.  Prior to this
>experience, other exposures produced symptoms which lasted for days.
>
>I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens have never hurt my eyes.

Your confidence in your own epistemology is amazing!  To say it is
CAUSED implies that you know what the mechanism is.  Otherwise, it
could simply be that whatever is wrong with your eyes causes you
to be unable to look for a few minutes at a bright mac screen.
Have you been using old macs recently (since your eyes were
bothering you)?  As far as I know, the CRT is identical in the
mac 512 and the mac+.  It would be interesting to do a double blind
study, with the mac covered except for the screen to see if the
symptom can be reliably reproduced only with the mac+ or SE.  Whatever
the real cause, you need to see an ophthalmologist to make sure you
don't have Sjogren's syndrome or iritis or something.

dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) (11/15/87)

My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under
the eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.

Another screen was mildly irritating; I had to use it with the
intensity turned down low.

These screens feel harsh to my eyes; they also "feel" brighter than they look.

I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens have never hurt my eyes.

Has anyone encountered problems like this?  (PLEASE BE ALERT TO PEOPLE YOU
KNOW OR MIGHT HEAR ABOUT.)  If so, please reply to me directly.
You can also post on the  comp.sys.mac  bulletin board.

     Howard L. Dyckman, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Phillips Hall,
     Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.
          dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

Here's more info:

The screens which bothered me had purple tint or blue with slight purple
tint.  I have inspected some of them; mfr is Clinton Taiwan Corp.

Eyes hurt much worse than what ophthalmologist describes here:

In article <993@ski.UUCP> dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>As an ophthalmologist, I have seen many computer-related eye problems.
>All of them have turned out to be *NOT* due to the computer equipment
>itself, except when an out-of-focus or flickering system causes eyestrain.
>... Staring at anything, but particularly a terminal, reduces the blink
>rate.  Tear evaporation takes place, and air "burns" the conjunctiva
>and cornea.  This leads to dryness, grittyness, foreign body
>sensation, burning, and sometimes photophobia (light sensitivity).  It
>can feel just like UV keratitis (corneal burn).  ...
>Treatment is the same, but UV burn takes 1-2 days to heal, whereas dry
>eye heals overnight.  One uses artificial tears, an over-the-counter
>preparation, every 1-2 hours, ointment at bedtime optional.

My eyes have been sore, dry, and sensitive for months, not 1-2 days.
They are recovering slowly.  At one time, my eyes were so dry that mild
breezes bothered them, making it very uncomfortable to take a walk
outdoors.  These and other symptoms were caused by some recent Macintosh
computer screens (SE, Plus).  Prior to this experience, other
exposures produced symptoms which lasted for days.

I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens (as well as other
computer screens) have never hurt my eyes.

Ophthalmologist's reply above is well meant but is not the explanation for
my symptoms.

If you know of anyone who has had similar problems (perhaps
milder or shorter lasting) please contact me directly.

     Howard L. Dyckman, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Phillips Hall,
     Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.
          dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

newton@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mike Newton) (11/16/87)

When I first go my mac II i went throught many of the old archves of
this and another group.  I no longer keep them around (too big), but several
things stood out.  One was the the message about screens hurting eyes.
Thought I no longer have the old messages, IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY
the enclosed copy is yet another identical copy of the same message.

Why?  Is the poster a lawyer ?  I think an explanation is in
order.

???In article <2923@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
???>My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
???>Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under
???>the eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.
???>
--
newton@csvax.caltech.edu	{ucbvax!cithep,amdahl}!cit-vax!newton
Caltech 256-80			818-356-6771 (afternoons,nights)

		I'm never biased...

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (11/16/87)

In article <4555@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> newton@cit-vax.UUCP (Mike Newton) writes:
>the enclosed copy is yet another identical copy of the same message.
>
>Why?  Is the poster a lawyer ?  I think an explanation is in
>order.
>???In article <2923@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
>???>My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
>???>Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under
>???>the eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.
>???>

Yes, this old posting posting keeps on coming back!
But instead of reposting a copy of the original in all of its gory detail, a
posting of the 'diff' would have been more appropriate, perhaps.

Summary?   Both are guilty!

PS: I apologize for chewing up even more bandwidth.  But, come on, somebody
has to take a sane look at it!
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (11/17/87)

In article <4555@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> newton@cit-vax.UUCP (Mike Newton) writes:
>When I first go my mac II i went throught many of the old archves of
>this and another group.  I no longer keep them around (too big), but several
>things stood out.  One was the the message about screens hurting eyes.
>Thought I no longer have the old messages, IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY
>the enclosed copy is yet another identical copy of the same message.
>
>Why?  Is the poster a lawyer ?  I think an explanation is in
>order.

You do remember correctly.  The article which you're refering to (I cut it
out to save space) was posted at least twice before.  Once this summer, and
once eariler this fall.  I too, would also like to know why yet another
identical copy of the same message was posted.  When the last copy of this
message was posted, I sent mail to the Mr. Dyckman asking why he persists in
posting the same article time and time again, but got no reply.

****FLAME ON****

Mr. Dyckman, don't you think if the new Mac Pluses or SEs are so flawed that
their screens hurt the eyes of "normal" people that we all would have
discovered it by now and complained to Apple and the FTC?  Since it appears
that you're a _very_ small minority in this, I suggest you go see a doctor
and stop taking up net bandwidth with periodic reposting of the same message.

****FLAME OFF****

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699,  USPS: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853      |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) (02/07/88)

[...]

My eyes were hurt very badly by some of these Mac screens;
the screens made my eyes were so dry that mild breezes bothered them,
making it very uncomfortable to take a walk outdoors.
Now, after months of slow recovery, eyes are bothering me a little.

If you know of anyone who has had similar problems (perhaps
milder or shorter lasting) please contact me directly.

     Howard L. Dyckman, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Phillips Hall,
     Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.
          dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (02/09/88)

In article <3645@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>,
dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes varius stuff
about screens.

This is the third time this message has appeared on comp.sys.mac, and it's no
more useful than it was last time.

Is this an intentional reposting, calculated to waste bytes and annoy people?
If so, you need a small lesson in net.etiquette.

If not, then you need to be a bit more careful...

		--Rich

Richard Siegel
THINK Technologies, QA Technician (on leave)

The opinions stated here do not represent the policies
of THINK Technologies or of Carnegie-Mellon University.

Arpa: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,sun}!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

ogil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (the Rum Tum Tugger) (02/09/88)

In article <3645@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
(Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
>My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
> [details of symptoms deleted]
>Has anyone encountered problems like this?  (PLEASE BE ALERT TO PEOPLE YOU
>KNOW OR MIGHT HEAR ABOUT.)  If so, please reply to me directly.
>You can also post on the  comp.sys.mac  bulletin board.
>
>     Howard L. Dyckman, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Phillips Hall,
>     Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.
>          dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

Ahem.

I've seen this posting four times now in the last 7 months.  I've NEVER
seen a reply to it.  Not ever.  Except one person flaming Mr. Dyckman for
continuing to repost the article when it is obvious no one has responded.

Mr. Dyckman:  I have never known anyone who described ANY of the symptoms
you list.  They are easy to reproduce, however: stare at the Mac without
blinking for a long time and you will get sore eyes, a gritty feeling, and
a sensation that the screen feels harsher than it looks.  Remembering to
blink your eyes every now and then helps alleviate the problem.

Also, if you feel compelled to repost this every two months I'd appreciate
it if you'd edit it to remove the annoying little errors and reduce the
redundancies.  It's painful enough to read as it is.

It sounds like you're gathering information for a class-action suit, or
some other type of legal recourse.  If so, just say so.  "PLEASE BE ALERT
TO PEOPLE YOU KNOW OR MIGHT HEAR ABOUT" (?!) certainly implies that you're
looking for fellow victims.  They might be much more willing to talk to
you if they think there's something in for them.  Or are you just looking
for people to commiserate with?

I've directed followups to alt.flame.  Alt.flamers: I apologize for the mild
tone of this article.  And don't flame me for the apology :-).
--
Brian W. Ogilvie                       "And in the end
   ogil@sphinx.uchicago.edu             The love you take

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (02/10/88)

In article <gW3S5Xy00V4Ul4g1UM@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:

>In article <3645@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>,
>dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes varius stuff
>about screens.
>
>This is the third time this message has appeared on comp.sys.mac, and it's no
>more useful than it was last time.

And it's not just the third time in two weeks; I seem to remember seeing an
almost identical posting at least 18 to 24 months ago.  Can anyone with
archives that go back several years check to see when this guy first noticed
that he has an eye problem?  You would have thought he'd have given up using
Mac's by now (note the "recently" in his posting...).

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fnf    (602) 438-3614
# Motorola Computer Division, 2900 S. Diablo Way, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

pgil@sphinx.UUCP (02/11/88)

First, let me agree with those who expressed their annoyance at the
repeated appearence of this posting.

Second, I decided to give the benefit of the doubt to the poor soul
who may be going blind as we speak!

	this topic was discussed some time ago, in fact shortly
	after Mac SE's and II's hit the stores. The suggestion
	was made back then, by someone who seemed to know, that
	prolonged use of the screens occurred by virtue of the graphical
	user interface; i.e. one can manipulate screen information
	without ones eyes ever leaving the screen (mouse etc.).
	Such prolonged use sharply reduces the blink rate,
	allowing the surface of the cornea to effectively dry out,
	giving rise to most of the symptoms described; soreness
	grittiness etc.

Believe it, or not.
Cheers,		paul.

--
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pgil,   BITNET: pgil@sphinx.UChicago.edu
Analogue: (312) 702-6971                VOICE:  Hullo, um, is Paul there?

jkwan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Joe C. Kwan) (02/12/88)

Does anyone know if the problem can be solved by getting a polarizing screen?

I've been experiencing some of those symptoms, but am not sure if they're due
to the moniter...

what brand (polarizing screen filter) would you recommend?

Joe

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (02/17/88)

In article <699@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> jkwan@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Joe C. Kwan) writes:

>Does anyone know if the problem can be solved by getting a polarizing screen?

Yes, a polarizing screen helps a lot in high ambient light levels.  This is
primarily due to people's natural desire for high contrast on the display.
Under high ambient light, the display naturally get set up more brightly by
the user.  Higher brightness levels naturally increase the perceived flicker
on the display.

Putting on a true circular polarizing screen helps contrast dramatically.  I
kick my video way up for a pleasing brightness level (the filter attenuates
the light level substantially), and the ambient light problem goes away.

You don't need a polarizer if your ambient light levels are low, of course.

There is nothing special about a polarizing filter except that via physics it
does the best job of cutting down reflections without cutting down your image
nearly as much as a neutral density filter.  But don't touch them with greasy
fingers!
--

phd@SPEECH1.CS.CMU.EDU (Paul Dietz) (02/19/88)

In article <3720@ihlpf.ATT.COM> straka@ihlpf.UUCP (55223-Straka,R.J.) writes:
>Higher brightness levels naturally increase the perceived flicker
>on the display.

I wasn't too sure about this statement, so I decided to do some checking.
According to Cornsweet, "Visual Perception", for high frequencies

	"what determines wether or not the the fluctuation will be seen
	is the absolute amplitude of the flucuation, not the level around
	which it is fluctuating."

If the phosphur is fairly linear, then the original statement is absolutely
correct. However, if it saturates, it could well be that there is a
brightness level which is maximally bad, and either increasing, or
decreasing the brightness would help. Does anybody out there know anything
about the physics of CRT's?

Paul H. Dietz                                        ____          ____
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering        / oo \        <_<\\\
Carnegie Mellon University                        /|  \/  |\        \\ \\
--------------------------------------------     | | (  ) | |       | ||\\
"If God had meant for penguins to fly,             -->--<--        / / |\\\  /
he would have given them wings."            _________^__^_________/ / / \\\\-

In article <694@mcdsun.UUCP> fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <gW3S5Xy00V4Ul4g1UM@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:
>>
>>In article <3645@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>,
>>dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes varius stuff
>>about screens.
>>
>>This is the third time this message has appeared on comp.sys.mac, and it's no
>>more useful than it was last time.
>
>And it's not just the third time in two weeks; I seem to remember seeing an
>almost identical posting at least 18 to 24 months ago.  Can anyone with
>archives that go back several years check to see when this guy first noticed
>that he has an eye problem?  You would have thought he'd have given up using
>Mac's by now (note the "recently" in his posting...).
>
>-Fred

I believe it was about 8 months ago.

Also, on a related not, about 8 months ago, people were talking about
a very fine line appearing on Sony monitors about 2/3 of the way down.

I finally found mine, with a peach coloured background, with brightness
turned down quite a bit.

--
    "Each morning when I wake up to rise, I'm living in a dreamland"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (02/19/88)

In article <2634@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>Also, on a related not, about 8 months ago, people were talking about
>a very fine line appearing on Sony monitors about 2/3 of the way down.
>
>I finally found mine, with a peach coloured background, with brightness
>turned down quite a bit.

Yeah, this bugged the hell out of a couple friends of mine.  They had waited
three weeks for the school bookstore to deliver their Mac II.  It arrived,
finally, and they took it home and discovered that Apple had shipped it with
Finder 4 point something, and *then* they noticed this little one-pixel-wide
dim line on their monitor about 80% of the way down the screen.  Frustration
led to fury.

The next day we called the University's service center.  Turns out that Sony
had quality control problems with the monitors.  (Remember Mac II screen
jitter?)  So they installed this fine wire in the CRT...  Apparently it
does a magnificent job of stabilizing the display.

Really.

-joseph

/*
 * What, me worry?  Just don't drink the water.
 */

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (02/20/88)

All trinitron monitors since antiquity have a stabilizing wire 2/3 of the
way down the screen.  Our 1972 Sony trinitron T.V. has the wire.  It
is hardly visible on commercial televisions, but more visible on the
Mac & Multiscan monitors because of the high resolution.

I believe the screen jitter is totally unrelated to the shadow-mask
wire.  Changing the video board on an Apple monitor seems to
reconfigure the jitter in new and totally different ways!

phssra@emory.uucp (Scott R. Anderson) (02/22/88)

In article <76000130@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>All trinitron monitors since antiquity have a stabilizing wire 2/3 of the
>way down the screen.  Our 1972 Sony trinitron T.V. has the wire.  It
>is hardly visible on commercial televisions, but more visible on the
>Mac & Multiscan monitors because of the high resolution.

I was able to examine one of the new SuperMac 19" Sony Trinitron Monitors
the other day; it had no visible stabilizing wire.  It looked great, but
it is very expensive: $3695 monitor + $1595 video card!

*                                     Scott Robert Anderson
  *      **                           gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **                   phssra@emoryu1.{bitnet,csnet}