[comp.sys.mac] How would you maintain a mailing list?

tgl@ZOG.CS.CMU.EDU (Tom Lane) (02/21/88)

I need to maintain a newsletter mailing list (of a couple hundred names).
What kind of Mac software would people recommend for this task?

Aside from adding, deleting, finding, and changing entries, I'd like to
print the list directly on sheets of peel-off labels.  It might be useful if
the list could be sorted in zip-code order for printing the labels.

Is it time to buy Hypercard, or is there something else that would handle
this better?  (From what I've heard about HC, printing the labels the way I
want might be a pain.)

Thanks for your advice...
				tom lane
-----
ARPA: lane@ZOG.CS.CMU.EDU
UUCP: <your favorite arpanet gateway>!zog.cs.cmu.edu!lane
BITNET: lane%zog.cs.cmu.edu@cmuccvma

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/21/88)

In article <913@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> tgl@ZOG.CS.CMU.EDU (Tom Lane) writes:
>I need to maintain a newsletter mailing list (of a couple hundred names).
>What kind of Mac software would people recommend for this task?

>Aside from adding, deleting, finding, and changing entries, I'd like to
>print the list directly on sheets of peel-off labels.  It might be useful if
>the list could be sorted in zip-code order for printing the labels.

>Is it time to buy Hypercard, or is there something else that would handle
>this better?

This is one case where HyperCard doesn't cut it. Theprinting facilities are
still too primitive, although with Reports! that might change. the only way
I'd do this in HC is if I had some program (like Word 3.0) that did mail
merge and could handle labels.

I currently do it in Filemaker Plus, which works fine, if a little
underpowered for my tastes. I'm currently designing a standalone system in
4th Dimension, which for a cople of hundred names is almost definitely
overkill, but wonderful fun nonetheless.

My guess is you need some kind of low level file-handler or database
program. To me, this means either Filemaker Plus or Reflex Plus, both of
which are relatively cheap (under $200) and will do the job. Both, not so
coincidentally, have lots of fans as users, which says something about their
quality and usefulness.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (02/21/88)

in article <913@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, tgl@ZOG.CS.CMU.EDU (Tom Lane) says:

> I need to maintain a newsletter mailing list (of a couple hundred names).
> What kind of Mac software would people recommend for this task?
>
> Aside from adding, deleting, finding, and changing entries, I'd like to
> print the list directly on sheets of peel-off labels.  It might be useful if
> the list could be sorted in zip-code order for printing the labels.
>
> Is it time to buy Hypercard, or is there something else that would handle
> this better?  (From what I've heard about HC, printing the labels the way I
> want might be a pain.)

HyperCard would only work well if you're printing those labels on a LaserWriter
(it's the first piece of software that I've seen that has an easy way to
print 3-up labels).  Otherwise, look at a file manager, like FileMaker.  A
DBMS would do the same for you, but if the mailing list is as far as you
intend to go in the near future with data management, then the extra money
for the DBMS wouldn't be worth it.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai
>What kind of Mac software would people recommend for this task?

>Aside from adding, deleting, finding, and changing entries, I'd like to
>print the list directly on sheets of peel-off labels.  It might be useful if
>the list could be sorted in zip-code order for printing the labels.

Try Record Holder Plus.  It is inexpensive and can do everything you've
mentioned (and lots more).  It has a "variable size" fields option for
reports; so it will print labels without lots of unwanted white space.
Reports (e.g., labels) and on-screen forms are designed by placing,
dragging, and resizing fields, text and pictures.  Field types include:
text, number, money, date, checkbox, radio button, table lookup, yes/no,
picture, computed, and statistical.  Fields can have default values, can be
range checked, and can have user-defined input patterns.  Record Holder Plus
supports different fonts, styles, and colors for each field or label.  You
can define and save as many report formats as you like.  You can change the
on-screen form whenever you wish.  Record Holder Plus writes and reads text
files with a user-specified field delimiter.  It will output all your data
or whatever subset you specify.  Record Holder Plus manages files up to 16
MB with as many records as the file will hold.  Record and field length is
limited to 32K.

changwoo@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Chang Woo) (02/22/88)

In article <913@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> tgl@ZOG.CS.CMU.EDU (Tom Lane) writes:
>I need to maintain a newsletter mailing list (of a couple hundred names).
>What kind of Mac software would people recommend for this task?
>
>Aside from adding, deleting, finding, and changing entries, I'd like to
>print the list directly on sheets of peel-off labels.  It might be useful if
>the list could be sorted in zip-code order for printing the labels.

Try FileMaker+. It is not a powerful program (being non-relational file
manager), but the report function of the program is beautiful. As far as I
can recall (I haven't seen/used it for a long time), you can define the
size of the paper directly from the program.  Of course, if your need is
more complex, you should consider something like 4th Dimension, but as far
as I can see, FileMaker+ would be fine for your need.

*** Usual disclaimer doesn't apply. I never bothered to pay $100 for the
upgrade from old version (FileMaker) to new one (FileMaker+). I am quite
satisfied with what old one can do, and being a student, $100 is a hefty
price for an upgrade (for a program you can buy for $150 in mail order
store!).

Chang Woo
--
Chang P. Woo     HB 2932, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755