[comp.sys.mac] Mouse Problems

drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) (02/10/88)

I've had something really strange happen to me TWICE, and I've wondered if
anyone else has had the same problem:
		Sometimes, in Finder 6.0, for no appearant reason, I cannot
		double-click on anything !  Single clicks work fine to select
		a {folder, document, program}, but it won't open with a double-
		click.  The Open command in the File menu or Cmd-O works.
Restarting the Mac solves the problem.  (Oh, by the way, it's a Mac SE,
System 4.2, Finder 6.0 (UniFinder), with the internal 20Mb drive.)

All opinions, rumors, and even cold, hard facts welcome....

Drew Dean
UUCP: {sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!drew
FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;

ereid%moth@Sun.COM (Eric Reid) (02/11/88)

In article <643@wolf.UUCP> drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) writes:
>I've had something really strange happen to me TWICE, and I've wondered if
>anyone else has had the same problem:
>		Sometimes, in Finder 6.0, for no appearant reason, I cannot
>		double-click on anything !  Single clicks work fine to select
>		a {folder, document, program}, but it won't open with a double-
>		click.  The Open command in the File menu or Cmd-O works.
>Restarting the Mac solves the problem.  (Oh, by the way, it's a Mac SE,
>System 4.2, Finder 6.0 (UniFinder), with the internal 20Mb drive.)
>
>All opinions, rumors, and even cold, hard facts welcome....
>
>Drew Dean

I, too, have had this sort of problem. Hardware configuration exactly
the same, running both the latest finder and the previous version.
Happens a lot after I play the "1000 miles" game, in which there is
a lot of double-clicking on items.

Apparently, LOTS of double-clicking in rapid succession can eventually
cause the Finder to get confused. Only fix I've found is a Reboot.

I'd be curious as well as to any possible solutions (not that it's a
life or death matter at this time......)

Eric R. Reid		ARPA: ereid@sun.com   	UUCP: ...!sun!ereid
Sun Microsystems Inc.	"Sometimes ya just gotta say........"

tjw9202@ritcv.UUCP (02/12/88)

In article <41598@sun.uucp> ereid@sun.UUCP (Eric Reid) writes:
>In article <643@wolf.UUCP> drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) writes:
>> [....]
>>		Sometimes, in Finder 6.0, for no appearant reason, I cannot
>>		double-click on anything !  Single clicks work fine to select
>>		a {folder, document, program}, but it won't open with a double-
>>		click.  The Open command in the File menu or Cmd-O works.
>>Restarting the Mac solves the problem.
>>
>I, too, have had this sort of problem. Hardware configuration exactly
>the same, running both the latest finder and the previous version.
>Happens a lot after I play the "1000 miles" game, in which there is
>a lot of double-clicking on items.

I believe that some applications change the event mask to inhibit mouse up
events and then do not reset the event mask to everyEvent.  The Finder does
not seem to do this when it starts up so things like double clicks cease
to function.

I guess I could try to write a little test program to see if this is really
the problem ......:-).

Tim Wilson

borscht@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy J. Williams) (02/13/88)

In article <41598@sun.uucp> ereid@sun.UUCP (Eric Reid) writes:
>In article <643@wolf.UUCP> drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) writes:
>>		Sometimes, in Finder 6.0, for no appearant reason, I cannot
>>		double-click on anything !  Single clicks work fine to select
>>		a {folder, document, program}, but it won't open with a double-
>>		click.  The Open command in the File menu or Cmd-O works.
>>Restarting the Mac solves the problem.  (Oh, by the way, it's a Mac SE,
>>System 4.2, Finder 6.0 (UniFinder), with the internal 20Mb drive.)
>>
>I, too, have had this sort of problem. Hardware configuration exactly
>the same, running both the latest finder and the previous version.
>Happens a lot after I play the "1000 miles" game, in which there is
>a lot of double-clicking on items.

Interesting.  I have not had *this* problem but I have seen something
rather strange happen under Multifinder (which I used until discovering
that with 1Mb of RAM, you don't get too far) anyway, in 1,000 Miles (I
never tested to see if it happened outside) shift clicking alot (which you
have to do) gave me a little symbol to the right of the icon in the menu
bar.  first it looked like a '[' lying on its back.  ShiftClicking again
made it look like the same thing but colored in black.  Once more and a
little arrow pointed down into it.  At this point shift was locked and any
click was a shift click.  ShiftClicking again made the arrow go away, then
made it turn into '[' again and finally it went away.  Is this some random
feature that I should know about?

--
Disclaimer: You better like my opinions, my mother can beat up your mother...

Andy J. Williams                BITNET: borscht@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Bill 'n Opus in '88!       UUCP:{ihnp4,decvax,linus}!dartvax!eleazar!borscht

earleh@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Earle R. Horton) (02/13/88)

In article <8144@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU>, borscht@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU
	(Andy J. Williams) writes:
> bar.  first it looked like a '[' lying on its back.  ShiftClicking again
> made it look like the same thing but colored in black.  Once more and a
> little arrow pointed down into it...
>
> Disclaimer: You better like my opinions, my mother can beat up your mother...

Sounds like you are getting Easy Access activated by whatever you are
doing.  Easy Access is normally activated by hitting the shift key five
times in succession, without moving the mouse.  Since you appear unfamiliar
with the symptoms you describe (Easy Access users know exactly what they
mean) you probably don't use it, and could remove it from the System Folder,
reboot, and never see them again.
*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

lim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Kian-Tat Lim) (02/14/88)

In article <8144@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> borscht@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU
(Andy J. Williams) writes about strange happenings in the menu bar after many
shift-clicks.

This is a feature of Easy Access, an Apple-provided INIT residing in your
system folder that makes it easier for disabled people to use the Mac.  Hitting
the shift key five times in a row activates EA.  For more info, see the Read Me
file provided with your System Tools disk.

Activating EA and locking down the shift key can cause an apparent loss of
double clicks in the Finder.  The first click (really a shift-click) selects
the icon; the second (really another shift-click) merely deselects it.  Caught
me a few times before I decided I wasn't disabled enough to need EA (actually,
its "keypad mouse" feature does come in handy for fine positioning of things).

-- Kian-Tat Lim (ktl@wagvax.caltech.edu, GEnie: K.LIM1)

ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) (02/22/88)

Yes, shift-clicking can and does generate a "[" lying on its back.
This happens every time you hit the shift key five times without hitting any
other keys. Try it now: SHIFT-SHIFT-SHIFT-SHIFT-SHIFT. What this means is that
Easy Access is now on.Then press the {SHFT,OPTN,CMD} key, and the key AFTER that
press will be {SHIFTED,OPTND,CMDED}. However, if you press the {SHFT,OPTN,CMD}
key -twice-, ALL keys with be altered until you press the SHIFT key five more
times to make it go away.
To nuke this annoying feature, trash the "Easy Access" file in your system
folder.
It's an INIT that is documented in the Read Me on your Utilities disk.

--
Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (02/22/88)

In a recent article Sascha Segan writes:
>To nuke this annoying feature, trash the "Easy Access" file in your system
>folder.

It's worth noting that this feature is only annoying if you have two hands.

	    "We're writing tomorrow's software yesterday."
Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)