[comp.sys.mac] IIGS PICT format?

arenberg@trwrb.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) (02/19/88)

Lately I've been playing around with PICT files on a Mac II with an
interest in converting them for viewing on a GS.  In a book titled
something like "Apple IIGS Technical Reference" (NOT the Apple official
version) there is a brief mention of using pictures with Quickdraw II.
There is a handle in the GrafPort record called PicSav but there are no
toolbox routines that seem to use it.  Does anyone know if there some plan
to create a PICT like file in a future release of Quickdraw II?

On a separate note, I downloaded GIFFER 1.0 off of GEnie yesterday.  This
program will display a number of different picture formats, but most
notably the GIF type.  (The GIF format let different computers display the
same picture.)  Does anyone know where I can get any technical information
on the GIF format?  I would also like to find a source for some pictures
other than GEnie.  It takes about 20 minutes to download each one.

Thanks,

Jeff Arenberg
UUCP : ( ucbvax, ihnp4, uscvax ) !trwrb!trwcsed!arenberg
ARPA : jarenberg@ecla.usc.edu
GEnie: shifty

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/23/88)

In article <768@trwcsed.trwrb.UUCP> arenberg@trwcsed.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) writes:
>  Does anyone know where I can get any technical information
>on the GIF format?  I would also like to find a source for some pictures
>other than GEnie.  It takes about 20 minutes to download each one.

Compurserve is the creator of the GIF format.  There is a large libary
there (GO PICS) of pictures of all shapes and sizes in GIF format.
Everything from small 320x200x16 up to a few 640x480x256 monsters for
the MAC II.  I believe technical details describing the format are there as
well.

>Jeff Arenberg

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant