[comp.sys.mac] Stuffit suggestion

hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (02/17/88)

Hello,

  I think that Stuffit is a very good program, but lacks one feature I think
would make it superb.

  Most of the time, you unstuff a .SIT file into a folder so you can peruse
the contents without ending up with a hodge-podge of files from multiple
.SIT files  all over the place..  I currently use QuickFolder to creat, on the
fly, the folder to unstuff to.  Wouldn't it be nice for there to be an option
for autofolder create, using the original .SIT file name with something appended
like an exclamation point, ie.  TESTPROGS.SIT would unpack into TESTPROGS.SIT!
Then a user could not have to worry about where the files went...

Phil Hunt

pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter S. Wisnovsky) (02/17/88)

In article <8802162024.AA14427@decwrl.dec.com> hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>  Most of the time, you unstuff a .SIT file into a folder so you can peruse
>the contents without ending up with a hodge-podge of files from multiple
>.SIT files  all over the place..  I currently use QuickFolder to creat, on the
>fly, the folder to unstuff to.  Wouldn't it be nice for there to be an option
>for autofolder create...

>Phil Hunt

This seems to me to be a general deficiency of the Save As... system supplied
dialog box, i.e. the inability to create folders from within the
dialog box.

Another problem with these standard dlogs is in the Open dialog
boxes, where there is no keyboard equivelent for going up to the
enclosing directory: at the moment, since I have 2 drives I hit
the tab key twice to get to the top of the directory, but this seems
inelegent.

Is there a patch for the code, or an init that could address these
situations? How about in the next system software release...

Thanks,
--
Peter Wisnovsky		pswisnov@phoenix.princeton.edu   BitNet: pswisnov@pucc

Please use mail: this news feed is VERY unreliable.

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (02/18/88)

In article <1753@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter S. Wisnovsky) writes:
>In article <8802162024.AA14427@decwrl.dec.com> hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>Another problem with these standard dlogs is in the Open dialog
>boxes, where there is no keyboard equivelent for going up to the
>enclosing directory: at the moment, since I have 2 drives I hit
>the tab key twice to get to the top of the directory, but this seems
>inelegent.
	Try CMD-up-arrow
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/19/88)

pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU(Peter Wisnovsky) writes in comp.sys.mac

>In article <8802162024.AA14427@decwrl.dec.com> hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>>  Most of the time, you unstuff a .SIT file into a folder so you can peruse
>>the contents without ending up with a hodge-podge of files from multiple
>>.SIT files  all over the place..  I currently use QuickFolder to creat, on the
>>fly, the folder to unstuff to.  Wouldn't it be nice for there to be an option
>>for autofolder create...
>
>>Phil Hunt
>
>This seems to me to be a general deficiency of the Save As... system supplied
>dialog box, i.e. the inability to create folders from within the
>dialog box.

	Agreed.  This is one of the reasons that I use HFS Navigator by Think
Technologies (written Mike Kahl of LSC fame).  In addition to allowing me to
create new folders on the fly, I can also do Searches, Deletes, etc from within
the SFPutFile (and SFGetFile) dialogs.  The other nice features about HFS Nav
is that I can set up a menu of commonly accessed folders and then quickly move
to that folder by choosing it from teh menu.

>Another problem with these standard dlogs is in the Open dialog
>boxes, where there is no keyboard equivelent for going up to the
>enclosing directory: at the moment, since I have 2 drives I hit
>the tab key twice to get to the top of the directory, but this seems
>inelegent.

	If you are using a Mac + or later keyboard (one with Arrow Keys) you
can easily move up one level in the direcotry by doing a Cmd-Up Arrow.  True
there is no one-key option to the top, but this works real well since you
have the cmd-Key down and you just hit the up arrow enough.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (02/19/88)

In article <1753@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter S. Wisnovsky) writes:

>This seems to me to be a general deficiency of the Save As... system supplied
>dialog box, i.e. the inability to create folders from within the
>dialog box.
>
>Another problem with these standard dlogs is in the Open dialog
>boxes, where there is no keyboard equivelent for going up to the
>enclosing directory: at the moment, since I have 2 drives I hit
>
>Is there a patch for the code, or an init that could address these
>situations? How about in the next system software release...

If you have a keyboard with arrow keys, the pretzel up-arrow takes you up to
the endlosing folder.

A real nice utility called HFS Navigator lets you creat folders from the
SFDialog. It also lets you find folders and files as well as keep a list of
often used folders for immediate access.  You can also get info, rename, and
delete files with the Navigator.  About $40 from Think Technologies.

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (02/20/88)

From article <8802162024.AA14427@decwrl.dec.com>, by hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt):
> I think that Stuffit is a very good program, but lacks one
> feature I think would make it superb.

> Most of the time, you unstuff a .SIT file into a folder
> Wouldn't it be nice for there to be an option
> for autofolder create, using the original .SIT file name
> with something appended like an exclamation point, ie.
> TESTPROGS.SIT would unpack into TESTPROGS.SIT!

How 'bout just dropping the .SIT extension if there is one.  If not,
add the word folder to the end.  This would create file names that are
really nice.

---
          William C. DenBesten |       denbeste@bgsu.edu
      Dept of Computer Science | CSNET denbeste%andy.bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net
Bowling Green State University | UUCP  ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!denbeste
  Bowling Green, OH 43403-0214 |

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (02/22/88)

>Is there a patch for the code, or an init that could address these
>situations? How about in the next system software release...

You can use Command-Up Arrow to go up one directory level.

On the other hand, you could try HFS Navigator. HFS Nav lets you add up to 16
of your favorite directories to a list; when you pull down the hierarchy menu
in the Standard File box you get this list instead of the hierarchy. (You can
pull down using the Option key to get the hierarchy.) You can also create
folders, delete and rename files, and search for files and folders.

It's completely transparent. You just run the installer and off you go....

		--Rich

Richard Siegel
Confused Undergrad, Carnegie-Mellon University

The opinions stated here do not represent the policies
of Carnegie-Mellon University.

Arpa: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,sun}!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

snow@ndmath.UUCP (Dennis Snow) (02/23/88)

In article <8802221545.AA22607@Princeton.EDU>, pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter S. Wisnovsky) writes:
> Unfortunately, I have an old keyboard (and thus no up-arrow key) and
> no hard drive (limiting the usefulness of something like HFS navigator).

Arrow keys (with modifiers) can be emulated on an old keyboard using
CE Software's QuicKeys.

Dennis Snow (snow@ndmath.UUCP)
Dept. Math. / Univ. Notre Dame / Notre Dame, IN 46556