[comp.sys.mac] Risk Game

harrow@bagels.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NMSG LKG2-2/Y10 DTN=226-5564) (01/20/88)

I have seen  several references to a public domain implementation
of Risk for the Mac.  Could someone please send me a copy?

Thanks,

Jeff Harrow

Work address:
ARPAnet:	HARROW%EXODUS.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		decwrl!exodus.dec.com!harrow        or
                {allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-exodus!harrow
Easynet:	EXODUS::HARROW
Telephone:	(617)264-5128
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: BXB1-2/E02
		85 Swanson Road
		Boxboro, MA  01719

robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) (02/04/88)

I just downloaded the PD Risk game that Jeff Meyer kindly distributed,
and it works just wonderfully on a Mac SE.

HOWEVER (knew that was coming, didn't you?):

I happen to have a Mac II.  On the II the program works very well
UNTIL: you either choose "About Risk..." or you try to look at your
cards (either by pressing the "Cards" button, or when the program
shows them to you).

When either of these things happens, the program quits.  No fanfare,
no bomb, it just quits and you return to the Finder.

This wouldn't be so bad except that it is the rare exception that
you have a game in which the program does not attempt to show you
your cards.  And when the program does this, blip, your game ends
(even though it had been going without a hitch up to that point).
The program never gets around to drawing the dialog boxes that it
should be displaying, by the way; it quits before it has a chance
to.  It seems like it can't get at the resources for its dialog
boxes (or something), so it quits.  However, it has no problem with
displaying the initial setup dialog box and with giving help from
that box (via the "Help" button).

I'm running the game off an Apple 40MB internal HD.  It makes no
difference whether the Mac is in 2-color or 16-color mode, whether
the icache is on or off, whether Multifinder is running or not.
It halts in exactly the same way in all these cases.

HELLLPP!!!!!  This is a great game and I wanna play it on my Mac!!!
Can anyone come up with a patch?  Or could the author of the game
come out with a revised version?  (Please contact me, Jeff, with any
info about this problem... I like this game!!)

Rob Jellinghaus                | "This is not a RENTAL car...
jellinghaus@yale.edu.UUCP      |  this is PRIVATELY owned!!"
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |               -- _True Stories_

tra4@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Jonathan H. Traum) (02/04/88)

My copy of Part 3 of the recently posted Risk game seems to have
gotten munched somehow. Could someone please offer to send me a copy?
Thanks a lot!

--
Jonathan Traum
UUCP: ...!oddjob!sphinx!tra4

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (02/04/88)

Part 3 of Risk never made it to Pittsburgh intact.  CMU got
the bad version also.  Would some kind soul on arpa who got
a good version ship it here?  Thanks.

Jerry_Geronimo_Whitnell@cup.portal.com (02/06/88)

A little work with TMON tracked down the problem.  It is using the
Window Managers own port to draw the map.  To do draw any other
windows, it saves away the bit map.  The problem is, it is using
GetWMgrPort to get the port to figure out the size and Apple,
in it's great wisdom, change the definition of what GetWMgrPort
returns (used to be a GrafPort, now a CGrafPort).  So Risk
calculates a random value for the size of the port, tries to
allocate that much memory and exits when it can (not very good
programming style :-)

So, here is a patch to get around the little problem:

Offset $680E (Block $34, offset $e)

was: 3029 0006 C1E8 000C 48C0
to:  303C 1000 C1FC 0156 4E71     if 256 colors
to:  303c 0800 C1FC 0156 4E71     if 16 colors
to:  303C 0400 C1FC 0156 4E71     if 4 colors
to:  303C 0200 C1FC 0156 4E71     if 2 colors

Pick the number of colors you normally run the game at and apply the above
patch using FEdit or ResEdit.  All this does is ignore the returned GrafPort
and calculate the values based on built in constants.  It appears to work
fine with these patches applied, but caveat emptor :-).  Be sure to apply
these to a backup copy, not your original.

Jerry Whitnell

arenberg@trwrb.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) (02/09/88)

Since so many people didn't get the end of Part 3 (including me), could
someone who got it (or the author) please post the last missing line?
Thanks,

Jeff Arenberg
UUCP : ( ucbvax, ihnp4, uscvax ) !trwrb!trwcsed!arenberg
ARPA : jarenberg@ecla.usc.edu
GEnie: shifty

atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) (02/09/88)

>fenwick@garth.UUCP (Stephen Fenwick):
>Does Risk work on a 512K (i.e., 64K ROMs, notE 512KE) ?

Yes, I used it just the other day on my system.  It's an old 128K upgraded
to 512k, still with the old ROMs (soon to be upgraded again, however).

			-lee

khayo@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Erazm J. Behr) (02/10/88)

I decided to bend the rules a little and post a few last lines
of the Binhexed part 3 of Risk (a recent article implied that
only the last line got garbled ?) I hope you'll forgive - all the
requests cost more time/money than this posting.

Search for the pattern KEQGP (unique in this part, at least),
delete this line and everything below, then paste in the following:

KEQGP)("KG(4PFQjc,#"MD'&ZCf8JF'aKH@9b)(4jF'9c,#"KEQ3JFfK[Gh-JH@p
e)'GKE@8JFh4KG'PcG'PMFbi0N!065%p59%099&-J,5"85%8J8dK*4P3J5d9C$3e
AD'9Z)("XB@0TEQFJBA*YD@9c,#"SEfaND@jR)'4[GfiJG'KP)(0SD@Cd)'YPH5"
hD@aX)("XB@0P)'&XE#"KGQ&TE'&LE'8JBA*YD@9c)(GSCA*P)(P[G5"ME'PMDbi
0$9GSC@iJBA4dB@0VD@jR,#"SEfaND@jR)'4[GfiJG'KP)(0SD@Cd)'YPH5"hD@a
X)(4[CfGXC5"dD'8J3A*YH5""C(CKEQ0PE@9ZG#"cCA4dD@jR)'PZ)(P[GA)J3fp
--- end of part 3 ---

                                                       Eric
 Please use   khayo@MATH.ucla.edu   instead of CS.ucla.edu

phd@SPEECH1.CS.CMU.EDU (Paul Dietz) (02/10/88)

In article <766@trwcsed.trwrb.UUCP> arenberg@trwcsed.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) writes:

>Since so many people didn't get the end of Part 3 (including me), could
>someone who got it (or the author) please post the last missing line?

I just checked; there are about 400 lines missing! This is more than I'm
willing to post to comp.sys.mac .  (by the way, thanks to all who sent
me the third part.)

--- paul dietz

larryl@nvuxr.UUCP (L Lang) (02/10/88)

Would someone please mail me a copy of part 1 of 5 of the Mac Risk game
that was recently posted on comp.binaries.mac?
I only received parts 2 through 5.
Also, if any documentation was posted, I'd like to receive a copy of that, too.
Finally, I see several people have had problems with part 3 of 5,
so perhaps mailing me a non-garbled version of that would also be a help.

My MacII is only about two weeks old, so I've never decoded anything
from comp.binaries.mac before.
Would someone please tell me how to go about setting a program up?

Risk is my favorite board game, so I am quite excited about the possibility
of playing on my MacII.  I'm eagerly looking forward to any replies.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Larry Lang
Disclaimer: Not necessary.  I had an opinionectomy long ago.

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/16/88)

In article <548@nvuxr.UUCP> larryl@nvuxr.UUCP (L Lang) writes:
>My MacII is only about two weeks old, so I've never decoded anything
>from comp.binaries.mac before.
>Would someone please tell me how to go about setting a program up?

Risk as shipped over the network is not going to work on your Mac II.
It will return to Finder at random time without any warning.  I posted
a patch that requires FEdit or ResEdit, perhaps someone can post a patch
for the BinHex files.

>Larry Lang

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

klash@uvicctr.UUCP (Karl B. Klashinsky) (02/20/88)

Hi ya.

Well, I waited a while to see if part 3 of Risk was going to be reposted,
and since it seems that that will not be the case, I'm askin...

Please, kind news reader with a decent newsfeed, please send me
part 3 of the risk posting?

advTHANKSance

--
Karl Klashinsky                         "I shall endeavour to
University of Victoria                  function adequately."

e-mail:	{uw-beaver, ubc-vision}!uvicctr!klash

barry@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (02/23/88)

I need part 3 of the Risk game also.
Thanks.

--