[comp.sys.mac] ResEdit support

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (02/05/88)

>I couln't agree with you more!  Such a powerful and important application
>as ResEdit should not have such an informal, ad hoc distribution system.

And while we're at it, how about a ResEdit manual, giving an
overview of how the various resource editors in ResEdit work?  I keep
discovering neat useful features each time I use ResEdit.

-Ted Johnson
 ...hplabs!hpdtc!tedj

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73539000) (02/07/88)

Don't ask them for too much. WE only want ResEdit to be more
recognized for what it is. Asking Apple to document ResEdit
is like asking them to fit Inside Macintosh on one 8.5 x 11
sheet of paper.

~  Alexander M. Rosenberg  ~ INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   ~ Yoyodyne    ~
~  Crown College, UCSC     ~ UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba~ Propulsion  ~
~  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    ~ BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  ~ Systems, Inc~
~			   ~ Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  ~ :-)         ~
~			   ~ so nobody cares what I say.	~	      ~

tomas@apple.UUCP (Tom Taylor) (02/13/88)

In article <1869@saturn.ucsc.edu> alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) writes:
>Don't ask them for too much. WE only want ResEdit to be more
>recognized for what it is. Asking Apple to document ResEdit
>is like asking them to fit Inside Macintosh on one 8.5 x 11
>sheet of paper.

The Development Systems Group (the group that develops MPW) has taken on
the support of ResEdit.  In fact, we have a person working on ResEdit
full-time fixing bugs (and then making enhancements).  A writer is
also working on a ResEdit manual.  This version of ResEdit will at least
(that's the key word here) be available through APDA when MPW 3.0 beta
is released early this summer.  ResEdit will be available in a separate
package from MPW.

The same applies to MacsBug... it has been completely rewritten, has a
new manual, will be available separately, etc.

Tom Taylor
Development Systems Group

newbery@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (02/24/88)

                   -------------- Yay!
>[...] ResEdit will be available in a separate package from MPW.
>The same applies to MacsBug...
But do they still come with MPW too? Or do we now have to buy them
separately?

A couple of suggestions for ResEdit:
1) Make ResEdit available as an MPW tool - one can always Cmd-Option-Open
it outside MPW (or use itself to change its TYPE to APPL).
3) Fully integrate ResEdit into the MPW editor. A little more ambitious
and we would lose ResEdit except as part as MPW (I guess the current ResEdit
could be frozen). I would like to just open the resource part of a file in
MPW as another window. Comments?
--
Michael Newbery

ACSnet:	newbery@vuwcomp.nz  UUCP: newbery@vuwcomp
Une boule qui roule tue les poules.		(Landslides kill chickens)