[comp.sys.mac] Hope you saw the Macintosh Sketch on 2/20/88 SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/24/88)

Did anyone else see the Macintosh sketch on last Saturday's SATURDAY NIGHT
LIVE?  It featured Tom Hanks, the guest host, as a guy who's panicked on his
Mac and is calling a mythical agency called Apple Support Group :-) for
information.  It's a bit of a takeoff on the "ground control talking the
novice pilot down" cliche from old Airplane movies, but it works very well,
and Hanks is hilarious as the guy who is jumping at ANYTHING.

It explicitly mentions Mac and Apple (besides having Macs all over the set),
though they take liberties with the Mac's startup processing.  Apple isn't
slapped at all, either -- they could almost use this as one of their video
snippets for the new Apple Support group.

                    "What are you so damn
                     cheerful about?  The
                     stock market crashed!"
                                           "I'm a software engineer.  I
                                            TRAFFIC in human misery."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (02/24/88)

In article <2954@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Did anyone else see the Macintosh sketch on last Saturday's SATURDAY NIGHT
>LIVE?  It featured Tom Hanks, the guest host, as a guy who's panicked on his
>Mac and is calling a mythical agency called Apple Support Group :-) for
>information.  It's a bit of a takeoff on the "ground control talking the
>novice pilot down" cliche from old Airplane movies, but it works very well,
>and Hanks is hilarious as the guy who is jumping at ANYTHING.
>
>It explicitly mentions Mac and Apple (besides having Macs all over the set),
>though they take liberties with the Mac's startup processing.  Apple isn't
>slapped at all, either -- they could almost use this as one of their video
>snippets for the new Apple Support group.

  Just verifies what I've known all along: Mac owners know BEANS about
computers (grin).

						--R.J.
						B-)

(Really, $1500 for a 9" b&w screen and 512K? Scam!)

(Sorry, generally I'd keep computer-bashing out of the other newsgroups,
but the Mac skit was too *good* to pass up!)

Bitnet: rjung@sal124.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (02/25/88)

 >Just verifies what I've known all along: Mac
>owners know BEANS about computers (grin).

Just verifies what *I've* know all along: computer owners know BEANS about
Macintoshes. (no grin)

(Really, $2K for a green screen, 5" floppies, and 256K? Give me a break!)

(Generally, you'd do well to keep computer-bashing out of ALL newsgroups.)

	--Rich

Richard Siegel
Confused Undergrad, Carnegie-Mellon University

The opinions stated here do not represent the policies
of Carnegie-Mellon University.

Arpa: rich.siegel@andrew.cmu.edu
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,sun}!andrew.cmu.edu!rich.siegel