[comp.sys.mac] Replacing Finder w/ Minifinder

borscht@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy J. Williams) (02/20/88)

[ WARNING!  Line Eater Poison used here... *CHOMP*....*gasp!*... *thud* ]

I am using a MacPlus with 2 drives and 1Mb RAM.  (God I wish I had a hard
drive...) I would like to squeeze as much as possible onto my disks (and
possibly use Multifinder somehow) and want to know a few things:

a) Which is the best replacement for the finder both in disk space and
   RAM space, where can I get it, how do I set it up

b) Can MiniFinder be used as a finder replacement and if so, how do I set
   an 800k floppy up to do this?

e-mail to me and I will summarize if there is an interest.

Thanks in advance!

-Andy

--
Andy J. Williams    |_   /| |BITNET: borscht@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
HB 509 Dartmouth Clg|\`o_O' |UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax,linus}!dartvax!eleazar!borscht

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/24/88)

In article <8200@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> borscht@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>I am using a MacPlus with 2 drives and 1Mb RAM.  (God I wish I had a hard
>drive...) I would like to squeeze as much as possible onto my disks (and
>possibly use Multifinder somehow) and want to know a few things:
>
>a) Which is the best replacement for the finder both in disk space and
>   RAM space, where can I get it, how do I set it up

I use PowerStation (Software Supply) with DiskTop 3.01 (CE Software) as
my Finder repleacement.  RAM and disk space aren't a problem for me
with a 5 mb Mac II with 40 mb hd (sorry to rub it in :-), but these
two win for ease of use and functionality.  You can rename PowerStation
to Finder and it seems to work fine.  PowerStation's current version
is buggy under  MultiFinder, but a bug fix version is in the works.
DiskTop 3.01 works fine with MultiFinder.

>-Andy

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (02/25/88)

In article <1425@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) types:
>PowerStation's current version
>is buggy under  MultiFinder, but a bug fix version is in the works.

I believe the current version will be 2.3 - according to Steve Brecher, the
disks are in duplication and will be shipped off to registered owners late
this week/early next week.

>DiskTop 3.01 works fine with MultiFinder.

Actually, DiskTop 3.0.1's "Find" command bombs a lot in MultiFinder (it
even did so in very early MF betas). Version 3.0.2 does fix the Find bugs-
those with 3.0.1 can upgrade for $7, I believe.

>Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
>Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?

Robert Hammen		Computer Applications	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/27/88)

In article <4828@uwmcsd1.UUCP> hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Hammen) writes:
>In article <1425@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) types:
>>PowerStation's current version
>>is buggy under  MultiFinder, but a bug fix version is in the works.
>
>I believe the current version will be 2.3 - according to Steve Brecher, the
>disks are in duplication and will be shipped off to registered owners late
>this week/early next week.

Your right, of course.  Should have mentioned it.  The upgrade is free,
by the way.