[comp.sys.mac] "THINK" versus "Lightspeed"

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (02/24/88)

	In past postings, there've been references to the makers of LightspeedC and
Lightspeed Pascal as "Lightspeed", or "Lightspeed, Inc.", and variations on
the theme.

	I just want to correct this. The maker of the LightspeedC and Lightspeed
Pascal languages is THINK Technologies, which is in turn a division of
Symantec Corporation. The easiest way to refer to the company is to call them
"THINK".

	I'm not nitpicking here. There is a real company called "Lightspeed, Inc."
They make desktop-publishing packages for a variety of computers, the Mac
among them. The word "Lightspeed" is a trademark registered to Lightspeed,
Inc. and is used by THINK Technologies with their express permission. This is
one reason why the language compilers are now named "THINK's LightspeedC" and
"THINK's Lightspeed Pascal", and why they're not trademarked.

	Just wanted to clear the air; I don't want to be in the position of appearing
to condone the loose use of a trademarked name....

		--Rich

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (02/25/88)

In article <AW8hYry00WABgH40J0@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:

>The maker of the LightspeedC and Lightspeed Pascal languages is THINK
>Technologies, which is in turn a division of Symantec Corporation.
>The easiest way to refer to the company is to call them "THINK".

Just to make things more confusing for you uucp buffs, the easiest way
to contact "THINK" is *not* to send e-mail to think!whoever or
whoever@think.com, because we're Thinking Machines Corporation.  We
don't make any Mac-related products, we just use them.  (Rich: what
machine is THINK on, if any?)

>I'm not nitpicking here. There is a real company called "Lightspeed,
>Inc."  They make desktop-publishing packages for a variety of
>computers, the Mac among them.

For that matter, there's also a Florida company called "Lightspeed
Electronics" which packages Mac systems.  I have no idea what claims
they have on the name Lightspeed.

>Just wanted to clear the air; I don't want to be in the position of
>appearing to condone the loose use of a trademarked name....

Ditto.
Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (02/27/88)

Geez, this is bad... :-)

If you need to send mail directly to THINK Technologies, you can reach them
at:
	singer@endor.harvard.edu (internet)
	....!harvard!endor!singer (uucp)

However, people at THINK Technologies read comp.sys.mac.* every day; they're
just not as obnoxious as I am. :-) So it's not really necesary to send mail
directly, since anything you say can and will be read by us, in one form or
another.

		-_Rich

Richard Siegel
THINK Technologies, QA Technician (on leave)

I'm not physically at THINK, so my information may be out
of date. Be forewarned.

Arpa: rich.siegel@andrew.cmu.edu
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,sun}!andrew.cmu.edu!rich.siegel