[comp.sys.mac] Mac binaries, risk3

ring@cg-atla.UUCP (Steve Ring) (02/24/88)

Has there been any new postings into Mac binaries? I haven't seen any for a
long time.

For everyones information - this is what I had to do to do get the things
from mac binaries onto my plus.
1) On the VAX, collect mac binaries sent over usenet
2) and then join all the multi-parts file together, (a shell script posted to
	comp.sys.mac was very helpful)
3) Copy resultant files over to MS-DOS machine, and then onto floppy
4) Take floppy to TOPS network where a DOS machine is on net to Mac,
	upload these files from this DOS machine onto Mac (512)
5) On this Mac (512), copy Mac files off onto diskettes
6) Take diskettes to my plus, run BINHEX 5.0 (obtained from BCS) on files
	to get "real" binaries

To my amazement, everything worked the first time. I was most impressed with
the Moire pattern. BinHex is distributed along with Packit on one 800K
diskette for $4 (cheap). The selection from BCS is outstanding. I agree with
some of the other writers about paying $10 for free/shareware - why? - when
you can get the same for $4.

Also, could someone please send me a copy of risk part3.

--
...!{decvax,ima,ism780c,ulowell,laidbak,cgeuro,cg-f}!cg-atla!ring
Steve Ring

derek@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Derek J. LeLash) (02/27/88)

In article <1889@cg-atla.UUCP> ring@cg-atla.UUCP (Steve Ring) writes:

> BinHex is distributed along with Packit on one 800K
>diskette for $4 (cheap). The selection from BCS is outstanding. I agree with
>some of the other writers about paying $10 for free/shareware - why? - when
>you can get the same for $4.

Am I mistaken, or does the fact that one buys a disk of shareware from BCS
in fact still "obligate" you to pay whatever shareware fees the authors
request? (if you're one of those people who pay shareware fees at all)
The $4 BCS charge seems to cover media and postage; the programs are still
shareware.

--
        Derek LeLash '88            | "Naked flame, she stands in a naked flame
    Derek.LeLash@Dartmouth.EDU      |  I stand with the sons of Cain

pearl@topaz.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) (03/01/88)

In article <8269@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> derek@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Derek J. LeLash) writes:
>In article <1889@cg-atla.UUCP> ring@cg-atla.UUCP (Steve Ring) writes:
>
>> BinHex is distributed along with Packit on one 800K
>>diskette for $4 (cheap). The selection from BCS is outstanding. I agree with
>>some of the other writers about paying $10 for free/shareware - why? - when
>>you can get the same for $4.
>
>Am I mistaken, or does the fact that one buys a disk of shareware from BCS
>in fact still "obligate" you to pay whatever shareware fees the authors
>request? (if you're one of those people who pay shareware fees at all)
>The $4 BCS charge seems to cover media and postage; the programs are still
>shareware.

!
No, You are NOT mistaken in that the $4 charge does not cover any
Shareware Fees.  But what Steve was saying is that $4 for a disk full
of stuff is better than $10 for the same disk.  (Irregardless of any
fees).

        ==>SUPPORT SHAREWARE AND SHAREWARE WILL SUPPORT YOU<==

Steve

NAME:  Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)        VOICE: (201)932-3465
UUCP:  rutgers!topaz.rutgers.edu!pearl ARPA:  pearl@topaz.rutgers.edu
US MAIL:  LPO 12749 CN 5064, New Brunswick, NJ 08903
QUOTE:  "Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)
	"What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19