[comp.sys.mac] A Few Good Rumors...

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/11/88)

From Feb 88 issue of Micro-Mini Systems:

Apple Finally Gets its UNIX act together - All on a disk

Apple Computer Inc, Curpertino Calif., chose the Uniforum show in Dallas this
month to introduce A/UX, its version of AT&T Co.'s UNIX System V.2
operating system.  A/UX is designed for Apple's high-end Macintosh II and
comes preconfigured on either an internal ($4,879) or an external ($5,549)
80M-byte rigid-disk drive upgrade packge for current users [Ouch! jdw]. ...
A/UX contains Berkeley UNIX extensions, Network File SYstem, Streams and the
Macintosh Toolbox, plus functions for automatic booting and recovery.
That leaves users with 10 M-bytes of free disk space [Ouch again! jdw].
By preconfiguring the disk, Apple hopes to spare users from hiring UNIX gurus.

From Feb 8, 1988 issue of MacintoshToday

Ashton-Tate reportedly buys Ann Arbor, hot WP program

Ashton-Tate of Torrance Calif. reportedly has acquired Ann Arbor Softworks, INc.
of Newbury Park, Calif. and will soon publish the company's FullWrite
Professional...

Sources said Ashton-Tate bought Ann Arbor and a number of its assets after
months of negotiations between the two firms.  Ann Arbor's graphics program
FullPaint is included in the aggreement, but FullCalc, the company's unpublished
spreadsheet, is not.

Ann Arbor's deal with Ashton-Tate could be worth up to $30 million including
royalties, sources said.  [Everyone who knows anything :-)] declined to comment.

For those who are interested in C Compilers, see also Dennis Cohen's article
comparing C compilers in MacintoshToday.

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

martin@uhccux.UUCP (Brian Martin) (02/16/88)

In article <1406@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) writes:
>From Feb 88 issue of Micro-Mini Systems:
>
>Apple Finally Gets its UNIX act together - All on a disk
>
>Apple Computer Inc, Curpertino Calif., chose the Uniforum show in Dallas this
>month to introduce A/UX, its version of AT&T Co.'s UNIX System V.2
>operating system.  A/UX is designed for Apple's high-end Macintosh II and
>comes preconfigured on either an internal ($4,879) or an external ($5,549)
>80M-byte rigid-disk drive upgrade packge for current users [Ouch! jdw]. ...
>A/UX contains Berkeley UNIX extensions, Network File SYstem, Streams and the
>Macintosh Toolbox, plus functions for automatic booting and recovery.
>That leaves users with 10 M-bytes of free disk space [Ouch again! jdw].
>By preconfiguring the disk, Apple hopes to spare users from hiring UNIX gurus.

I've heard rumors of a 68030 workstation from Apollo priced under $5,000, due
out some time this year. Considering that Apollo supports BSD4.3, System V.3,
X windows, NFS, a sophisticated user interface management system that you can
use to build mac-like interfaces, network computing (an implementation of
course-grained parallel computing using workstations on the network as parallel
processors), and that Apollo supports an AT bus (so that you can add cheap
peripherals) and bundles in your choice of an Ethernet or token ring board,
I wonder if Apple will be forced to drop their Mac II prices. Or would people
be willing to pay a premium just because it's a Macintosh?

    Brian

======
	Brian K. Martin, M.D.
	3420-A Hinahina Street
	Honolulu, Hawaii 96816

PHONE: (808) 735-5661
ARPA:  uhccux!medix!martin@nosc.MIL
UUCP:  { ihnp4,ucbvax,dcdwest,uunet }!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!medix!martin

wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) (02/17/88)

	The thing to remember about a MacII, as opposed to a Sun 3/50
or Sun 3/60, is that it is an expandable machine with a bus. (One
should also consider that the cost of a Sun 3/60 with a 144 Mbyte
drive and 8 Meg memory + tape is around $19,000 list, let's not
compare Apple list prices with Sun discounted prices).  If you want
to get a Sun with any kind of expansion capability, you have to buy
a $25,000 (list) machine.  While Apple is going to have to come up
with some way to let people buy A/UX without purchasing an 80 Mbyte
disk (since people are using 300 Mbyte Wren IVs which cost around
$3K), Apple's list prices are NOT out of line with other 68020
offerings, especially for machines with busses.

	The prices are farther out of line compared to an IBM PS/2-80
or a Compaq 386/20 with Xenix/Unix/AIS, but again, not so far out
of line compared to those manufacturer's list prices.  The problem(?)
is that no manufacturer can compete with a $5000 no-name 386 clone with
a 100 Mbyte drive and Xenix/Unix.  But those machines do not offer
a standard graphics interface, the potential to run Mac programs,
or the support of a major manufacturer.

	I wonder how many of the net-readers pay list price for
any of these products?  Comparing Apple list to Sun/IBM/clone discount
is a bit unfair.

Bill Pearson
wrp@virginia.EDU

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/17/88)

>I've heard rumors of a 68030 workstation from Apollo priced under $5,000, due
>out some time this year.

>Considering that Apollo supports BSD4.3, System V.3,
>X windows,

>NFS,

well, sort of.

>a sophisticated user interface management system that you can
>use to build mac-like interfaces, network computing (an implementation of
>course-grained parallel computing using workstations on the network as parallel
>processors), and that Apollo supports an AT bus (so that you can add cheap
>peripherals) and bundles in your choice of an Ethernet or token ring board,
>I wonder if Apple will be forced to drop their Mac II prices. Or would people
>be willing to pay a premium just because it's a Macintosh?

I very much doubt it. Two reasons. One, Apollo's don't run Mac software.
A/UX runs a good number of them (I've seen, for instance, Pixel Paint run on
A/UX on Unix files. Wait until you see SFGetFile on a Unix filesystem!).
Second, considering the cost of the 030's, it'd be hard to believe that a
company could come out with an 030 based system that's be cheaper initially
than their 020 based system.

The basic problem with a low end Unix box is that, except for A/UX, they
don't have the caliber of office software available that the mac does. Lots
of people are going to buy Mac's because they can run Unix AND
Excel/Word/PageMaker/etc... it allows them to get rid of one of their
machines. It used to be you had a Unix box for company work, and the Pc/Mac
to do the management stuff. That isn't necessary any more.

Until the low end boxes have mac caliber software, it's going to be VERY
hard for them to go in after Mac environments. The low end unix box is good
for low end unix. It isn't terribly good for spreadsheets, word processing,
etc. The Mac2/AUX is probably more likely to suck out sales from the low end
of the other manufacturers simply because it can run both Unix AND Mac
stuff, not the other way around. I'd LOVE to have sun's at home. I use Mac's
because I can't do what I want to do on Sun's -- write and publish words.
They're great workstations, but vi/emacs/etc don't cut it. So I love my Sun
at work, I love my Macs at home. And I don't expect that to change any time
soon, except maybe I'll get lucky and go to Mac2's and A/UX at home....

chuq (and some folks would happily pay a premium to avoid Apollos....)
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

zrm@eddie.MIT.EDU (Zigurd R. Mednieks) (02/18/88)

In article <42143@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>Until the low end boxes have mac caliber software, it's going to be VERY
>hard for them to go in after Mac environments. The low end unix box is good
>for low end unix. It isn't terribly good for spreadsheets, word processing,
>etc. The Mac2/AUX is probably more likely to suck out sales from the low end
>of the other manufacturers simply because it can run both Unix AND Mac
>stuff, not the other way around. I'd LOVE to have sun's at home. I use Mac's
>because I can't do what I want to do on Sun's -- write and publish words.
>They're great workstations, but vi/emacs/etc don't cut it. So I love my Sun
>at work, I love my Macs at home. And I don't expect that to change any time
>soon, except maybe I'll get lucky and go to Mac2's and A/UX at home....

It's odd that Chuck would think this way. My feeling is that A/UX will
not be popular with either Mac or Unix people. If I wanted a Unix,
I would buy a Sun. I would not buy A/UX for my MacII. AU/X is not as
good a Unix as a Sun and it is not as good a Macintosh as a Macintosh
running its own OS. I would get LESS of Unix and Macintosh than I
wanted. I wish Apple (or better yet, Sun) had developed a Unix add-in
card with really good file system integration, so that I could have
both systems without having to buy two boxes, and without having to
deal with an Frankensteinian stitched-together combination of Unix and
the Mac OS.

With Sun's recent accord with AT&T I see no reason to settle for less
than what is the acknowledged standard in Unix OSs, and I see no
reason to ask for compatibility woes for my Macintosh software.
Lastly, I don't have a need to apply Macintosh software to Unix files
by running that software on a Unix system. I would prefer to use a
network and take advantage of the really very good provisions for
foreign file systems built into both Unix and the Mac OS.

I would also bet that A/UX will be at least one step behind both the
Mac OS and SunOS in acquiring the latest and best features of both
those systems. And what will happen when Apple's next-generation OS
debuts? Will they fold that into Unix as well? It all seems like much
more hassle than the it is worth.

So when can I order the SPARC board for my Mac II?

-Zigurd

Zigurd Mednieks		   MURSU Corporation		(617)424-0146
			   25 Exeter Street
			   Boston, MA 02116

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (02/18/88)

In article <1575@uhccux.UUCP>, martin@uhccux.UUCP (Brian Martin) writes:
> I've heard rumors of a 68030 workstation from Apollo priced under $5,000, due
> out some time this year. Considering that Apollo supports BSD4.3, System V.3,
> X windows, NFS, a sophisticated user interface management system that you can
> use to build mac-like interfaces, network computing (an implementation of
I use Apollos.  I am not impressed *at* *all* with their BSD and SYS 5
implementations, in fact I am extremely disappointed in their implementation.
I use SR 9.6 and it is full of problems...a normal user can kill a root
owned process(!!), tcp/ip is fraught with problems, cron requires a kluge
to make it work, Unix/Aegis permission conflict ... as a person who
tries not to get fooled twice...I will pass on any 68030 Apollo...besides what
are you going to do when (RUMOR IN PROGRESS) Sun releases their SPARC PC :) .
(Sparc can continue to be scaled upwards...it now runs between 7-10 MIPS,
while the 68030 will remain the 68030).

> course-grained parallel computing using workstations on the network as parallel
> processors), and that Apollo supports an AT bus (so that you can add cheap
> peripherals) and bundles in your choice of an Ethernet or token ring board,
Since tcp/ip is great at locking up your pttys your ethernet board may be
of short term use.
> I wonder if Apple will be forced to drop their Mac II prices. Or would people
> be willing to pay a premium just because it's a Macintosh?
I bought sun...but i would take a Mac II with A/UX over an Apollo any day to
save me the grief.

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (02/18/88)

In article <1575@uhccux.UUCP> uhccux!medix!martin (Brian K. Martin, M.D.) writes:
>I've heard rumors of a 68030 workstation from Apollo priced under $5,000, due
>out some time this year. Considering that Apollo supports BSD4.3, System V.3,
>X windows, NFS, a sophisticated user interface management system that you can
>use to build mac-like interfaces, network computing (an implementation of
>course-grained parallel computing using workstations on the network as parallel
>processors), and that Apollo supports an AT bus (so that you can add cheap
>peripherals) and bundles in your choice of an Ethernet or token ring board,
>I wonder if Apple will be forced to drop their Mac II prices. Or would people
>be willing to pay a premium just because it's a Macintosh?

That's exactly it.  Remember, your Mac II running A/UX can also run real live
useful applications as well (not that Unix isn't useful, but...).  The Apollo,
on the other hand, runs what in the way of software?  I don't know, but it
sure ain't as good as Illustrator, PageMaker, etc., etc.  And please, no
flames from the TeX/troff junkies...  :-)

To paraphrase Mr. Oster, "A Mac II makes a poor Apollo, and an Apollo makes a
poor Mac II."

By the way, the only "sophisticated user interface management system" I've seen
running on an Apollo (or a Sun for that matter) looks suspiciously like
multiple color windows with lots of scrolling text in them.  Whoopee!  :-)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (02/19/88)

In article <250@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) writes:
> 	The thing to remember about a MacII, as opposed to a Sun 3/50
> or Sun 3/60, is that it is an expandable machine with a bus. (One

True.  Although the Sun 3/60 is expandable to 24 megabytes of memory.
I bought my Sun because I wanted a Unix machine...I like Macs but I
would never invest in a Mac II ... it's a machine looking for a niche.

I would probably pick up an SE.  I am impressed with Plus and SE.  There
relativily cheap and would do the things I would need.  The Mac II is
no Unix workstation.  On the low end the 3/50 with 141 meg is also a
decent machine...a 3/50 + 141 meg disk + Mac Plus < Mac II.

> should also consider that the cost of a Sun 3/60 with a 144 Mbyte
> drive and 8 Meg memory + tape is around $19,000 list, let's not

whoa! i don't have my sun price list handy but...for $14,900+450=$15,350
gets you :
---------------------
(I forget but for an additional 1-2K you can get the 141 mbyte disk.
Subtract $1-2K for monochrome.)

Hardware :
A Sun 3/60
*20 Mhz 68020
*16" color (1152x900),
 (monochrome is cheaper - still 1152x900) 1 bit bw
 (hi rez mono also available -1600x1280, don't know the price) 1 bit bw
*8 bitplanes,
*4 meg ram,
*71 mbyte disk,
*60 Meg tape drive,
*Ethernet card
*Naturally FPU and MMU
*DMA
*optical mouse :)

Software
*SunOS (Unix),
*Fortran,
*C,
*Pascal,
*Suntools (clock, defaultsedit,lock, perf,mouse editor, mail, iconeditor,
	shelltools,fonttool, dbxtool (mouse based debugger based on dbx)
	etc.),  Customizable menu system.
*nroff Unix tools (that all those PC-based Unix guys like to unbundle)

*Libraries (all the usual Unix stuff)
*SunView library(2D CGI-based primitives) and
*SunView II libraries based on NeWS/X (summer-fall)
*SunCore library (3D Core standard,handle rotation transforms, etc)
*NeWS library will be standard in NeWS/X (summer-fall)
*X11 library will be standard in NeWS/X (summer-fall)
*X11 is available from MIT now ($150 or free)
*NeWS (now optional $100 will become standard)
	*postscript shell
	*postscript previewer
	*NeWS server
	*etc.
*NFS (Network File System - networking software)

Documentation
*FULL* the Unix documentation plus Sun's documentation : primers on
Unix, Suntools, SunPro, etc.
---------------------
I am probably forgetting something.

I should mention that Sun is rumored to have a Sun 386 pending
arrival relatively soon.

Okay take the above prices and now begin discounting...:)
To do any type of development (except maybe Mac OS) I would buy Sun.
The Sun 3/60 is comparable in performance to Apollo's new high/low end
DN 4000...but the software, documentation and hardware is much better
in my opinion.

> compare Apple list prices with Sun discounted prices).  If you want

As can be seen the prices quoted seem pretty much in line with Sun
list prices.  Sun is extremely competitive and your University/Company
probably get discounts on the order 20-40% - for all i know more.

> to get a Sun with any kind of expansion capability, you have to buy
> a $25,000 (list) machine.  While Apple is going to have to come up
Again, it depends on what you want to do...for example the NuBus from
Apple typically has some very expensive 24 bit graphics cards.  Their
aren't yet a whole lot of things out.

The VME bus (what Apple SHOULD have gone with, instead of their 10Mhz
bus) has alot more going for it.  LISP coprocessors, frame grabbers,
graphics coprocessors, etc. Apple played some games in the design of
their NuBus...(read the Mac Today article recently written on the
Mac NuBus to get more information).  Incidentally the recent announcement
of the Sun 4/110 (low high end -7 MIPS) at under 19K bodes well for
Sun dropping their Sun 4 line prices...

> with some way to let people buy A/UX without purchasing an 80 Mbyte
> disk (since people are using 300 Mbyte Wren IVs which cost around
> $3K), Apple's list prices are NOT out of line with other 68020
> offerings, especially for machines with busses.

Except with no DMA,

> 	The prices are farther out of line compared to an IBM PS/2-80
> or a Compaq 386/20 with Xenix/Unix/AIS, but again, not so far out
> of line compared to those manufacturer's list prices.  The problem(?)
> is that no manufacturer can compete with a $5000 no-name 386 clone with
> a 100 Mbyte drive and Xenix/Unix.  But those machines do not offer
> a standard graphics interface, the potential to run Mac programs,
> or the support of a major manufacturer.

Again what impact 386 Sun running Unix with all or most of the above???

> 	I wonder how many of the net-readers pay list price for
> any of these products?  Comparing Apple list to Sun/IBM/clone discount

Again the price I gave, I believe is list. (i'm-sure-i'll-here-if-its-not)

The Opinions expressed are my own. No one else would have them.

In article <330@esquire.UUCP>, sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
> That's exactly it.  Remember, your Mac II running A/UX can also run real live
> useful applications as well (not that Unix isn't useful, but...).  The Apollo,
> on the other hand, runs what in the way of software?  I don't know, but it
> sure ain't as good as Illustrator, PageMaker, etc., etc.  And please, no
> flames from the TeX/troff junkies...  :-)
Both Apollo and Sun run desktop publishing packages that make PageMaker and
Illustrator look positively primitive, ever heard of FrameMaker and Interleaf?
Ever see these on a 1600x1280 screen?  If you live at all in a technical
world - which clearly it doesn't sound like you do - Apollos and Suns run
*lots* of engineering, CAD/CAM, medical applications.  Have you ever seen
NeWS (ever seen a circular window?).  Get serious the Mac II has a *long*
way to go before ever being considered an "engineering workstation" let
alone a workstation.

> To paraphrase Mr. Oster, "A Mac II makes a poor Apollo, and an Apollo makes a
> poor Mac II."
> By the way, the only "sophisticated user interface management system"
>I've seen > running on an Apollo (or a Sun for that matter) looks
>suspiciously like multiple color windows with lots of scrolling text in them.  >Whoopee!  :-)
You mean like Mac's Word.  You don't seem to know a whole lot about
workstations generally.  It might be worthwhile to check out "Ideas",
ComputerVisions CAD 4X, etc.
NeWS on the Sun is a networkable window system that *understands*
postscript.  You can preview postscript graphics, etc.
*I'm sorry, I suddenly am beginning to understand...go back to your
Missile Attack game on your Mac* :)

daveb@geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (02/19/88)

In article <8184@eddie.MIT.EDU> zrm@eddie.MIT.EDU (Zigurd R. Mednieks) writes:
| It's odd that Chuck would think this way. My feeling is that A/UX will
| not be popular with either Mac or Unix people. If I wanted a Unix,
| I would buy a Sun. I would not buy A/UX for my MacII. AU/X is not as
| good a Unix as a Sun and it is not as good a Macintosh as a Macintosh
| running its own OS. I would get LESS of Unix and Macintosh than I
| wanted.

   Well, I'm a Unix people, and I found that I could have almost
anything that I actually **use** on unix on a mac, even before A/UX.
In the process of laying groundwork for A/UX, Apple made MPW
sufficiently Unix-like that porting simple programs was trivial.
   The worst time I had was porting wart (a yacc-like DFA compiler),
because I had brain-damaged it in a port to a customer's MuSh-DOS
box.  That took an extra 10 to 20 minutes...

   I seriously expect that A/UX will deliver more ease of use to
experienced Unix programmers than Sun (I've used both: horses for
courses).  I also seriously believe that many Mac-specific programs
will run under A/UX, and will be welcomed by Unix programmers.

 --dave (you mean you **like** dbx?) c-b
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (02/19/88)

In article <1686@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:

>Both Apollo and Sun run desktop publishing packages that make
>PageMaker and Illustrator look positively primitive, ever heard of
>FrameMaker and Interleaf?

Yes. My boss has Interleaf on his Mac II.  I've got it here on my Sun,
too, and it drives me nuts in both implementations.  Can you say
"random menu structure"?  Why is it that menus with many of the
same commands have them in different orders, or even in different
sub-menus?  Interleaf (or "Interloss" as one of my co-workers calls
it) does some things very well, but it has serious flaws.

>Have you ever seen NeWS (ever seen a circular window?).

No, I haven't seen NeWS, and Yes, I've seen a circular window.  I've
got a program for the Mac that includes WDEF's for a circular window,
windows with holes in them, and other kinds of bizarre windows.  You
can paste them into existing applications (or your system file).  No
sweat.  Hasn't caught on though.  What use is a circular window?

>Get serious the Mac II has a *long* way to go before ever being
>considered an "engineering workstation" let alone a workstation.

By you, certainly so.  But we already knew that.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) (02/19/88)

	I am reading this article on a SUN3/50 with a 71 Mbyte disk,
60 Mbyte tape cartridge, and 4 Meg of memory that costs (list) about
$10000.  I think that it is great for unix software development, reading
news, and ftp'ing stuff across the country.

	At home I have a MacII, and I suppose that if I bought it this
week with A/UX, and then added a tape drive, (which A/UX does not
currently support I read) it would cost a little more than $10,000.

	I don't have A/UX, but I love my Mac.  Before I got the machine,
I had no idea how much I needed programs that saved pictures in a common
format (PICT), and editors that could combine documents with this format.
Writing programs for the Mac is an incredible pain, but once they work,
and then use PICT windows or text windows that can be copied to other
places, they are great.

	I can't do anything like that with my sun.

	So an earlier observation is certainly correct, a sun makes a poor
MacII and a MacII makes a poor sun.  But I am happy with my MacII, and would
buy it over the sun, because it will take a lot less to get the MacII
to become a (albeit 80%) sun than it will to get the sun to become a MacII.
(And it is not at all clear how useful my Sun would be without the $200,000
of University network support).

Bill Pearson
wrp@virginia

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (02/20/88)

In article <1686@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
>Both Apollo and Sun run desktop publishing packages that make PageMaker and
>Illustrator look positively primitive, ever heard of FrameMaker and Interleaf?
>Ever see these on a 1600x1280 screen?  If you live at all in a technical
>world - which clearly it doesn't sound like you do - Apollos and Suns run
>*lots* of engineering, CAD/CAM, medical applications.  Have you ever seen
>NeWS (ever seen a circular window?).  Get serious the Mac II has a *long*
>way to go before ever being considered an "engineering workstation" let
>alone a workstation.

Never said it compared as a workstation.  But circular windows... gee!  I
guess I'm wrong -- Sun's have it all over Mac's for serious work...

You Sun guys take everything so seriously... chill out.  And I thought people
here in NY were tense.  Actually, for serious typesetting, I'll take troff or
TeX on our Pyramids any day.  10 MIPS?  Whoopee!  My thumb is on my nose and
I'm wiggling my fingers...

Have a nice day...

[ :-), in case you still don't get it. ]

--

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (02/20/88)

In article <1686@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP writes:
>In article <330@esquire.UUCP>, sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>> That's exactly it.  Remember, your Mac II running A/UX can also run real live
>> useful applications as well (not that Unix isn't useful, but...).  The Apollo,
>> on the other hand, runs what in the way of software?  I don't know, but it
>> sure ain't as good as Illustrator, PageMaker, etc., etc.  And please, no
>> flames from the TeX/troff junkies...  :-)
>Both Apollo and Sun run desktop publishing packages that make PageMaker and
>Illustrator look positively primitive, ever heard of FrameMaker and Interleaf?
>Ever see these on a 1600x1280 screen?  If you live at all in a technical
>world - which clearly it doesn't sound like you do - Apollos and Suns run
>*lots* of engineering, CAD/CAM, medical applications.  Have you ever seen
>NeWS (ever seen a circular window?).  Get serious the Mac II has a *long*
>way to go before ever being considered an "engineering workstation" let
>alone a workstation.

Er, you may be right, but your basis isn't completely correct...

Interleaf runs on a Mac II - I saw it at DEXPO yesterday.
A Mac II (probably a vanilla Mac as well) can have circular windows - I
also saw it at DEXPO yesterday (yea, a round clock on the Mac Desktop - neat!).

But I'm an Amiga fan, so what the hell - I'd sorely like to have a 19 inch
color hi-res monitor (my heart lusts for one), but for now I'll settle with
the 13 inch 1Kx800 monitor that CBM is beta testing now...

>NeWS on the Sun is a networkable window system that *understands*
>postscript.  You can preview postscript graphics, etc.

No reason why it couldn't be ported to run under A/UX ...

>*I'm sorry, I suddenly am beginning to understand...go back to your
>Missile Attack game on your Mac* :)

It's not nice to talk down to people on the net ;-)

Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric	  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (02/20/88)

In article <16937@think.UUCP>, ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) writes:
> Yes. My boss has Interleaf on his Mac II.  I've got it here on my Sun,
> too, and it drives me nuts in both implementations.  Can you say
Actually, I use interleaf on an Apollo...i find it useful.  On a 1600x1280
screen it would be even better.  Having looked at Frame on a Sun, both
still are much better than Pagemaker for documentation. Frame should not
even be compared to Pagemaker.
> "random menu structure"?  Why is it that menus with many of the
> same commands have them in different orders, or even in different
> sub-menus?  Interleaf (or "Interloss" as one of my co-workers calls
> it) does some things very well, but it has serious flaws.
I will agree with you on the peculiar user interface scheme Interleaf
chooses.  Though I would much rather work in Interleaf than Pagemaker.
Frame seems far beyond both.  Incidentally most of the people I know
seem to work rather productivily in Interleaf.

> >Have you ever seen NeWS (ever seen a circular window?).
>
> No, I haven't seen NeWS, and Yes, I've seen a circular window.  I've
> got a program for the Mac that includes WDEF's for a circular window,
> windows with holes in them, and other kinds of bizarre windows.  You
> can paste them into existing applications (or your system file).  No
> sweat.  Hasn't caught on though.  What use is a circular window?
Oh. No I'm not talking about a game.
NeWS is a *networking* window system that is viewed by most
unjaundiced eyes to be superior to X11.  NeWS is entirely Postscript
based and as such has a postscript shell, postscript previewer, etc.
The Postscript extensions Sun put into NeWS make it an object-oriented,

NeWS should be hitting the Mac world soon in the form of a port for
A/UX (multi-tasking networking) and a port for Mac OS (non-multi-tasking).
If you follow the discussions in comp.windows.misc much discussion has
centered on NeWS and X11. I think when it does, it will be extremely
popular.

radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) (02/23/88)

In article <1690@ssc-vax.UUCP>, benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:

> ... I'm not talking about a game.
> NeWS is a *networking* window system that is viewed by most
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> unjaundiced eyes to be superior to X11.  NeWS is entirely Postscript
                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^
> based and as such has a postscript shell, postscript previewer, etc.
                                     ^^^^^             ^^^^^^^^
> The Postscript extensions Sun put into NeWS make it an object-oriented,
                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> NeWS should be hitting the Mac world soon in the form of a port for
> A/UX (multi-tasking networking) and a port for Mac OS (non-multi-tasking).
> If you follow the discussions in comp.windows.misc much discussion has
> centered on NeWS and X11. I think when it does, it will be extremely
> popular.

Only, I hope, if they fix the bugs. The initial release rivals MicroSoft
Word 3.0 in flakyness. These two products make me wonder whether all the
stuff I teach students about the importance of reliability is wrong. The
market seems to like bells and whistles more than quality.
                     ^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^

    Radford Neal

PS: Doesn't anyone but me think that Word 3.01 is *still* flaky? My
    favourite is its occasional tendency to crash if you customize the
    menus - you then can't start Word until you delete its settings file
    from your system folder. Don't tell me it works for you - *most* of
    its bugs are non-deterministic. I think they clear random bits in
    their idle routine just to keep the users hopping :-) (or is that
    hoping? hyping? ...)

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (02/29/88)

PS: Doesn't anyone but me think that Word 3.01 is *still* flaky? My
    favourite is its occasional tendency to crash if you customize the
    menus - you then can't start Word until you delete its settings file
    from your system folder. Don't tell me it works for you - *most* of
    its bugs are non-deterministic. I think they clear random bits in
    their idle routine just to keep the users hopping :-) (or is that
    hoping? hyping? ...)

  Radford Neal

I have noticed that almost everytime something goes wrong under multifinder
one of two programs has been, or is, running:

Microsoft Word 3.01

or

NCSA Telnet 2.1

The combination is especially deadly.  These two are especially sneaky in that
they hardly ever crash while running, but lead to cursor freezing and other odd
behavior in otherwise well behaved programs.  The worst example is:

Run Telnet for a while, log out, quit Telnet, start Word, do a few things,
freeze up.

No fun at all.  I can hardly wait till things start REALLY working under
Multifinder.
--
Michael Lonetto    UUCP:(allegra!phri!lonetto)
Dept of Applied Genetics

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/29/88)

>PS: Doesn't anyone but me think that Word 3.01 is *still* flaky?

>    My
>    favourite is its occasional tendency to crash if you customize the
>    menus - you then can't start Word until you delete its settings file
>    from your system folder. Don't tell me it works for you - *most* of
>    its bugs are non-deterministic.

I run thousands of words a month through Word 3.01 with heavily customized
menus, and I've never had it crash.

>I have noticed that almost everytime something goes wrong under multifinder
>one of two programs has been, or is, running:
>
>Microsoft Word 3.01

Word 3.01 is not completely Multifinder compatible. It'lll hang up other
programs running in the background (especially nasty when the background
process is Red Ryder doing a download). it won't deal with the Multifinder
icon on the menubar properly. But I've yet to crash it. Are you running it
in the insanely small memory partition the SIZE resource gives it? Try
putting it in a 640K or larger partition and I'll bet your Word problems go
away.

The first serious word processor that is MultiFinder compatible will get my
business. I can't afford a program that doesn't cooperate..... The only
question is whether it'll be Word 4.0 or FullWrite....

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

     There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
                               Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

pgn@usceast.UUCP (Paul Nevai) (03/01/88)

My Word 3.01 almost always crashes when (i) saving user dictionaries and
(ii) saving glossaries. Otherwise it's OK.

Paul Nevai                                N410106@univscvm.BITNET (PREFERRED)
Carolina Research Professor               ...\!usceast\!pgn.UUCP
Department of Mathematics                 pgn@cs.scarolina.edu.CSNET
University of South Carolina              73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbia, S.C. 29208                      1-(803)-777-3776.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(803)-777-4226.secy