[comp.sys.mac] Accelerators beat Mac II

palarson@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Paul Larson) (02/28/88)

Why is it that some of the 020/881 add-on cards allow the SE to perform
faster than the Mac II?  It seems to me that a machine built around these
two processors should be able to out-preform one which merely has the processors
added on as an afterthought.  Is there some flaw in the Mac II architecture?

          Johan Larson
Posting from the       | Secrecy is the keystone of all tyranny.
account of Paul Larson |                      - Heinlein

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (02/29/88)

In article <5398@watdragon.waterloo.edu> palarson@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Paul Larson) writes:

>Why is it that some of the 020/881 add-on cards allow the SE to perform
>faster than the Mac II?  It seems to me that a machine built around these
>two processors should be able to out-preform one which merely has the processors
>added on as an afterthought.  Is there some flaw in the Mac II architecture?

The upgrade machines are generally (slightly) faster because
they use high speed, more expensive, static RAM as opposed to
dynamic RAM (slower but cheaper) in the Mac II.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (03/02/88)

In article <5398@watdragon.waterloo.edu> palarson@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Paul Larson) writes:

>Why is it that some of the 020/881 add-on cards allow the SE to
>perform faster than the Mac II?  It seems to me that a machine built
>around these two processors should be able to out-preform one which
>merely has the processors added on as an afterthought.  Is there some
>flaw in the Mac II architecture?

The Mac II is designed to allow use of 150nS memory chips.  It uses
one wait-state per memory access (if my own memory serves!).  Some of
the accelerator cards for the SE use faster memory chips and no
wait-states during memory access.  So, they're faster at the same
system clock rate.

The tradeoff is between cost and performance.  From what I read in the
trade press, I see that some of the accelerator boards use a
relatively small, very high speed cache memory to avoid the need for a
large amount of expensive RAM.  It's simpler and cheaper to build a
system with a uniform memory structure.

Whether you consider this a flaw in the Mac II architecture depends on
your thirst for speed and the depth of your pockets.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

isle@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ken Hancock) (03/02/88)

In article <5398@watdragon.waterloo.edu> palarson@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Paul Larson) writes:

>Why is it that some of the 020/881 add-on cards allow the SE to perform
>faster than the Mac II?  It seems to me that a machine built around these
>two processors should be able to out-preform one which merely has the processors
>added on as an afterthought.  Is there some flaw in the Mac II architecture?

Not at all.  It's the design of the NuBus architecture which allows the
flexibility of expansion.  There are in fact 020/881 boards that run
faster than 16 MHz so they will ignore the 68000 processor.  The Mac II,
similarly, will be able to be upgraded to 030/882 boards and will
subsequently be able to run faster as well.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                        |    UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Personal Computing Ctr. Consultant |  BITNET: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (03/02/88)

Also, color quickdraw may be slightly slower than normal quickdraw.
It is much more sophisticated than the original version of quickdraw.
I may be wrong -- I hear color quickdraw uses some 68020 instructions
for more performance.

Some benchmarks involve screen display, and a sloppy reviewer might
leave the Mac II in color mode, slowing it down.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}