[comp.sys.mac] Copy II Mac 7.1 problem

hirchert@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/01/88)

A while back, I upgraded my copy of Copy II Mac to version 7.1 because I was
told that this version was Mac II and Multifinder compatible.  You can imagine
my dismay when I found that I couldn't get it to work even if I ran in 2-color
mode without Multifinder.  After talking with others here that were using
Copy II Mac without difficulty, I did some detective work and discovered two
separate sources to me problems:
1. Our network people had installed an INIT named Register Name on all our
   systems to aid in diagnosing Localtalk problems.  (Register Name is from
   Farallon, the Phonenet people.)  Register Name has proved to be guaranteed
   death to Copy II Mac 7.1.
2. If I mount an Appleshare server (using version 1.0 of the client software),
   this is also guaranteed death for subsequent use of Copy II Mac, even if I
   dismount the server before running Copy II Mac!
Has anyone else seen this problem or does anyone have any further insights?

Kurt W. Hirchert            National Center for Supercomputing Applications

dean@aoa.UUCP (Dean Wormell) (03/02/88)

In article <46100102@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> hirchert@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>1. Our network people had installed an INIT named Register Name on all our
>   systems to aid in diagnosing Localtalk problems.  (Register Name is from
>   Farallon, the Phonenet people.)  Register Name has proved to be guaranteed
>   death to Copy II Mac 7.1.
>Has anyone else seen this problem or does anyone have any further insights?
>
>Kurt W. Hirchert            National Center for Supercomputing Applications

On a related note, the 'Traffic Watch' Software that uses the Register Name
INIT from Farallon has zapped the Parameter RAM on two SE's when run under
Multifinder.  TrafficWatch will eventually hang the system when running
under Multifinder and upon reboot the serial port cannot be opened.

The solution is to boot with System 4.1/Finder 5.5, then hold down the
option key as you select the Control Panel DA.  This will reset the
Parameter RAM and fix the serial port.

I have also suspected some problems with the Moire CDEV and the Register
Name INIT when run with other INITs.  The Moire CDEV will not install (it
beeps at startup indicating a problem).  This one, I haven't been able to
track down, since the problem does not occur on all of our machines (SE's,
Plus's).  Any thoughts or suggestions?

--

		Dean Wormell

			...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!dean