[comp.sys.mac] System/Finder patch available??

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (03/02/88)

I realize this patch probably doesn't exist yet, but maybe some Mac
guru can come up with it.

I have a black and white Mac Plus running the newest Finder.  Most of
you have probably noticed that fancy, metahorphic icons (ie. Red
Ryder) don't work anymore.  Understandibly so, since Apple warned
people not to make such icons since color systems wouldn't handle them
correctly.

Well, it appears that Apple has made good its threat.  However, having
a black and white, I don't care if my icons work under color or not (I
don't mean the ones I make; rather, the ones on applications I already
have).  Therefore, it would be nice if there were a patch to Finder
that would put the old masking procedure back for us poor Black and
White slobs.

Anyone got any ideas??

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|                            Credo Quia Absurdum Est                          |

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (03/03/88)

In article <9756@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Hallett) writes:
>I have a black and white Mac Plus running the newest Finder.  Most of
>you have probably noticed that fancy, metahorphic icons (ie. Red
>Ryder) don't work anymore.  Understandibly so, since Apple warned
>people not to make such icons since color systems wouldn't handle them
>correctly.
>
>Well, it appears that Apple has made good its threat.  However, having
>a black and white, I don't care if my icons work under color or not (I
>don't mean the ones I make; rather, the ones on applications I already
>have).  Therefore, it would be nice if there were a patch to Finder
>that would put the old masking procedure back for us poor Black and
>White slobs.
>
>Anyone got any ideas??

As far as I know, the reason Apple changed the way icon masks work is
not because of possible problems with color systems, but because it
was very difficult to deal with fancy icon masks while writing Multi-
finder.  I suppose it has something to do with the vastly increased
complexity of writing on the desktop, when there are N applications
all using it simultaneously.

If this is the case, a patch such as the one you describe could be
seriously hazardous to the health of Multifinder.

Just my semi-informed opinion... which could be wrong....

>Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
>Software Technology Program                   | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
>GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
>|                            Credo Quia Absurdum Est                          |

Rob Jellinghaus                | "They're cute, they're quick, and
jellinghaus@yale.edu           |  they're small!  Ha ha ha!!"
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |             -- _Good Morning Vietnam_