[comp.sys.mac] Mac II ROM update

lchirica@polyslo.UUCP (Laurian Chirica) (03/02/88)

It has been reported (e.g., Macintosh Today in one of its January
issues) that Apple will release a new ROM for Mac II which fixes
some of the Slot Manager problems in the present release.
My Apple dealer does not have any official information from
Apple.  Did anyone get the new ROM and is willing to post some
information/impressions?  Does it do more than just fix the Slot
Manager problems?
I think this information is of sufficent interest to be posted on the
net.  If I get some direct mail, I will summarize and post it.  Thanks.
--
Laurian M. Chirica  (lchirica@polyslo.UUCP)
Computer Science Department

ftanaka@polyslo.UUCP (Forrest Tanaka) (03/03/88)

In article <1370@polyslo.UUCP> lchirica@polyslo.UUCP (Laurian Chirica) writes:

>It has been reported (e.g., Macintosh Today in one of its January
>issues) that Apple will release a new ROM for Mac II which fixes
>some of the Slot Manager problems in the present release.
>My Apple dealer does not have any official information from
>Apple.  Did anyone get the new ROM and is willing to post some
>information/impressions?  Does it do more than just fix the Slot
>Manager problems?

What I heard was that Macintosh IIs with Rev. A ROMs can't recognise NuBus
cards with more than 1MB in their address space.  Also, one of the support
chips allows a NuBus card to take over the bus for good.

These problems are fixed under the Rev. B ROMs.  If you have a NuBus card
with a >1MB address space, you can get your logic board replaced at no
charge until February 1994, I think it was.  Even though the ROMs are
socketed, the whole board still has to be replaced because the NuBus
support chip is soldered in.

I don't own a Macintosh II (just a Plus, which was the top of the line
when I bought it not so long ago. . .  *sniff* :-)).  So I don't know how
well the upgrade works.  I haven't heard anything bad.  Dealers should
know about it though.  The upgrade's been available since February 1st.

Forrest

>--
>Laurian M. Chirica  (lchirica@polyslo.UUCP)
>Computer Science Department
>California Polytechnic State University (CAL POLY)
>San Luis Obispo, CA 93407 - (805) 756-1332

--
Forrest Y. Tanaka
    Diablo #25, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA 93410