[comp.sys.mac] SE, Moose and disk caches?

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (02/29/88)

2 questions:

Is there a version of the talking moose DA that works with System 4.2,
Finder 6.0 on an SE?  I tried version 2.1(?) from the info-mac archive
on sumex-aim, but it just produced a flickering bomb-dialog-box.  Also,
is there a MacInTalk that's newer than version 1.1?  If the answer to
either is yes, where can I get them from?

Second question: does anyone with a hard disk and a Mac Plus, SE, or II
use any of the commercial disk cache programs (PowerDisk, TurboCharger,
etc.) in preference to Apple's RAM cache?  If so, why?  If not, why
not?  I remember when the early HFS systems came out there was a lot of
discussion about alleged misfeatures of the RAM cache.  Has it been
improved?  Do people use it or leave it off?

Thasks,
Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (03/02/88)

>Is there a version of the talking moose DA that works with System 4.2,
>Finder 6.0 on an SE?  I tried version 2.1(?) from the info-mac archive
>on sumex-aim, but it just produced a flickering bomb-dialog-box.  Also,
>is there a MacInTalk that's newer than version 1.1?  If the answer to
>either is yes, where can I get them from?

There is a version of the Moose on Compuserve that works on all macs,
including the SE and II. it's somewhere in the macfun data libraries. I've
never bothered to download it, but maybe someone else can.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

     There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
                               Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (03/02/88)

In article <43661@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>Is there a version of the talking moose DA that works with System 4.2,
>>Finder 6.0 on an SE?  I tried version 2.1(?) from the info-mac archive
>>on sumex-aim, but it just produced a flickering bomb-dialog-box.  Also,
>>is there a MacInTalk that's newer than version 1.1?  If the answer to
>>either is yes, where can I get them from?
>
>There is a version of the Moose on Compuserve that works on all macs,
>including the SE and II. it's somewhere in the macfun data libraries. I've
>never bothered to download it, but maybe someone else can.

Oh yes oh yes!  Please!  Anyone!  (Is it Multifinder compatible? :-)

>Chuq Von Rospach                       chuq@sun.COM            Delphi: CHUQ
>
>     There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
>                               Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

On an unrelated note, I ordered Beyond Dark Castle from MacConnection
recently... should arrive tomorrow (should've arrived today, actually)...
I'll review it after getting it.

Rob Jellinghaus                | "They're cute, they're quick, and
jellinghaus@yale.edu           |  they're small!  Ha ha ha!!"
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |             -- _Good Morning Vietnam_

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) (03/03/88)

In article <43661@sun.uucp>, chuq@plaid.UUCP writes:
> There is a version of the Moose on Compuserve that works on all macs,
> including the SE and II. it's somewhere in the macfun data libraries. I've
> never bothered to download it, but maybe someone else can.

If someone does have it, could they post it or e-mail me a copy?  We would
dearly love to have this version and don't have Compuserve access.
Thanks,

Ronald A. Guest, Supervisor     ...!ihnp4!druhi!cosmos
AT&T Laboratories               <--- but these are my thoughts, not theirs
12110 N. Pecos St.              Denver, Colorado 80234          (303) 538-4896