[comp.sys.mac] VersaTerm/MultiFinder problem...

jas@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (03/03/88)

I am having a problem using the background downloads with VersaTerm 3.10
(This is the version number from the About... box).  Create Date is Jul 27,
1987.

When I initiate a download, the modeless dialog comes up and the window shrinks,
but if I switch to a new foreground application, all file transfer stops.
Data is only xferred when VT is the forground App.  There is no documentaiton
on the 3.10 stuff but a readme file and a slip of paper from a 3.0 manual.

HELP!!  The reason I got this is that I wanted background Downloads.

Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student

buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) (03/03/88)

To get Versaterm to operate in the background, you will have to open it using
ResEd and edit the SIZE resources.  You will have to turn on the Can Background
bit and the Juggler Aware bit.

Hope this helps.
--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall 					(609) 520-1271

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (03/03/88)

In article <1040@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> jas@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
>I am having a problem using the background downloads with VersaTerm 3.10
>(This is the version number from the About... box).  Create Date is Jul 27,
>1987.
>
>When I initiate a download the modeless dialog comes up and the window shrinks,
>but if I switch to a new foreground application, all file transfer stops.
>Data is only xferred when VT is the forground App.  There is no documentaiton
>on the 3.10 stuff but a readme file and a slip of paper from a 3.0 manual.
>
>HELP!!  The reason I got this is that I wanted background Downloads.

I don't know... I use Versaterm all the time in the background and have no
trouble with it.  Do you have any strange INITs perhaps?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (03/04/88)

     I've had the same problem with VersaTerm and it was a MultiFinder
bug. I found that if I launched VersaTerm from anywhere except the Apple
Finder (such as with QuicKeys, PowerStation, etc), that the backgrounding
capabilities of VersaTerm went away. This is because the 'shared' bit
is set for VersaTerm and MultiFinder has a bug for this case. The
solution is to use ResEdit or DiskTop to uncheck the 'shared' bit.
Because of some confusion about the 'shared' vs 'cached' bit in some
versions of ResEdit, ResEdit may show the 'cached' bit set instead of
the 'shared' bit. Uncheck it anyway, save changes etc.

This solved the problem for me. By the way, VersaTerm version 3.2
is available and is much smarter about remembering window placement
assignments, etc. I'd upgrade if possible (just don't forget to
uncheck the shared bit on the new copy you get).

David Gelphman