[comp.sys.mac] A/UX tape backup

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (02/27/88)

phil@apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) wrote:
> We did go begging on our knees to the Mac OS guys doing the Mac tape unit
> software, and the next (soon very very soon) of release of Mac OS software
> for the tape unit WILL support dumping and restoring of A/UX partitions on
> an Apple HD80.

I haven't seen one, but what I have heard is that the Apple 40MB tape
drive is slow, slow, slow.  For "super reliability" it writes everything
three times on the tape, cutting the speed by a factor of three.

There is a slim chance that when the SCSI tape support is released, it
might work with third party tape drives that provide higher speed and
better price/performance than Apple's.  But only if you, the customers,
demand it.

Our Mac-II is ethernetted to a Sun with both cartridge and 6520 BPI
magtape anyway.  The more serious problem is that they left *dump* and
*restore* off the Unix distribution!  We have to do backups with tar,
which doesn't support incremental backups.
--
{pyramid,ptsfa,amdahl,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu@toad.com
		"Watch me change my world..." -- Liquid Theatre

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (03/08/88)

In article <4128@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>Our Mac-II is ethernetted to a Sun with both cartridge and 6520 BPI
>magtape anyway.  The more serious problem is that they left *dump* and
>*restore* off the Unix distribution!  We have to do backups with tar,
>which doesn't support incremental backups.

Actually, we did have dump, restore, rdump and rrestore in there, but found a
really nasty set of bugs just before freezing the production master. So, we
yanked them. Almost, but not quite ...  Sorry about that! :-)

For incrementals, we like find & cpio.

Philip K. Ronzone, A/UX Technical Manager                   APPLELINK: RONZONE1
Apple Computer, Mail Stop 27AJ, 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  Cupertino, CA  95014
UUCP:  ...!{sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil