[comp.sys.mac] MacHumor

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) (03/08/88)

Found on a Bulletin Board....
From:    Bernard Aboba
To:      All                                      Msg #227, 23-Feb-88 10:35:34
Subject: Refrigerator SIGS, anyone?

Why do refrigerators NOT need user groups, pray tell?
First of all, refrigerators generally WORK, and work well.  Their flyback
transformers do not burn out.  They do not require upgrades every year,
whether the basic hardware is obsolete or not.  Refrigerators usually defrost
themselves; their cold solder joints do not give out; they are not sensitive
to power line spikes, or static electricity.
Your average refrigerator has modest design goals.  When you open it, it does
not say "Welcome to the Refrigerator," or blink its lights.  There is probably
a simple control system, no megabyte of RAM.
You do not need your refrigerator to be making toast at the same time it is
keeping your leftovers from spoiling, controlling your VCR, or turning the
front porch lights on and off.
If this seems somewhat obvious consider this:  By 1995 a new automobile will
probably contain the equivalent of a Motorola 68000 processor, and 1 Meg of
RAM.  It may well speak to you, and contain several bit mapped displays.
Almost every component, from the engine to the brake system, will be
microprocessor controlled.  And if those components fail, your vehicle may
lose manuverability, or worse.
Can we be so sure that there will be not be AUTOMOTIVE user groups in 1995?
Or that refrigerator user groups will not some day follow suit?
Here's to a 1973 Buick, and my Kenmore fridge!
Disclaimer:  I have no business relationship with Kenmore, or any other
refrigerator manufacturer.  I am a knowledgeable refrigerator user, but do not
earn my living from giving refrigerator seminars, or from leading the BMUG
refrigerator SIG.

---
 * Origin: MailCom EchoMac InfoHere, Palo Alto 415-855-9548 (Opus 1:143/444)

--------------------

From:    Stephen Howard
To:      Bernard Aboba                            Msg #361, 24-Feb-88 07:10:22
Subject: Re: Refrigerator Sigs, Anyone?

Maybe you can help me. I just downloaded a can of Black Olives (Collosal, I
think) from my refrigerator. When I tried to open it, the 'fridge told me "A
utensil cannot be found to open this can." What gives? BTW, it says 'NO PITS'
on the side. Thanks in advance.

Stephen Howard

--- TBBS v2.0
 * Origin: BMUG Multiline TBBS - Berkeley, CA [415] 849-BMUG  (161/444)

--------------------

From:    Eric Larson
To:      Stephen Howard                           Msg #419, 27-Feb-88 10:02:12

You have to run the Olives through CanHex first.

---
 * Origin: Shockwave Rider 315-673-4894 Marcellus, NY (Opus 1:260/330)

--------------------

From:    Bernard Aboba
To:      Stephen Howard                           Msg #429, 25-Feb-88 08:10:34

Your fridge "bug" report was not specific enough.  How do you expect to get
answers without telling me what version refrigerator you are using? It sounds
like an incompatibility with other units residing in the Fridge, or with
Kenmore's new Fridge Input/Output System (FIOS).  Yes, I know we did not
follow the Kenmore guidelines, but it's their fault anyway.  Have you tried
reformatting the Fridge?

---

From:    Miriam Solon
To:      Stephen Howard                           Msg #538, 29-Feb-88 17:48:42

That means they're stuffed and you need Stuffit.

---
 * Origin: TRoU Mac Base System, 312-784-8763, Chicago, IL (Opus 115/400)