[comp.sys.mac] High praise for Turbo Pascal...

sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk (03/04/88)

In article <4144@ptsfa.UUCP>, rhc@ptsfa.UUCP (Robert Cohen) writes:

> P.S. If others have experience with Turbo Pascal (good or bad), I'd
> like to hear about them.  I am wondering if I want to stay with Turbo
> or change to another compiler before I get too deep, especially if
> there are compatability issues.

Compatibility with what ?? Anyway, I really like Mac Turbo Pascal (now
up to version 1.1) except for the following minor quibbles :

1) If you edit an include file, then click on your main file and type
   Command-R (Compile and Run), then Turbo Pascal doesn't re-compile
   unless the MAIN file has been changed !!! AAAARRRRGGGHH !!!!

2) You cannot put constant expressions in CONST or CASE sections :
   e.g.         const    fred = 2 ;
                         bill = fred * 2 ; { This statement is ILLEGAL in
                                             Mac TP, but OK in MS-DOS TP }

3) You cannot pass a function or procedure as a parameter to another
   function or procedure, but there are easy ways around this problem.

4) Run-time variables are limited to 32K in total. This is an INFURIATINGLY
   small limit (MS-DOS TP 4.0 has solved this problem).

5) Why, oh why, do they bundle in that USELESS RMaker utility ? They should
   supply ResEdit (after all, they've licensed Font/DA Mover and the
   MacInTalk speech driver).

Here in the UK, educational establishments can order Mac Turbo Pascal for
the ridiculously cheap sum of 29.95 pounds sterling !!!! This makes it by
far the best value-for-money Macintosh program on the market at the moment.

Don't let the quibbles above put you off - the sheer brilliance of the
programming environment in Mac TP makes them pale into insignificance.

Richard K. Lloyd,          ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,    * JANET : SQRKL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX                   *
Liverpool University,      * UUCP  : {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!SQRKL *
Merseyside, England,       * ARPA  : SQRKL%csvax.liv.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk  *
Great (?) Britain.         ***************************************************

"I have VERY strong opinions which are nothing whatsoever to do with the
University of Liverpool, so blame ME if I bitch about useless IBM PC clones,
even more redundant IBM mainframes and the terrible Atari ST..."

garyr@hpmwtla.HP.COM ( Gary Rensberger) (03/08/88)

In article <sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk> :

> Compatibility with what ?? Anyway, I really like Mac Turbo Pascal (now
> up to version 1.1) except for the following minor quibbles :

> 2) You cannot put constant expressions in CONST or CASE sections :
>    e.g.         const    fred = 2 ;
>                          bill = fred * 2 ; { This statement is ILLEGAL in
                                             Mac TP, but OK in MS-DOS TP }

The MS-DOS version which I use at work (TP 4.0) doesn't allow this either
(as far as I know), and it's a feature I'd like to see in both the Mac and
PC versions.

- Gary Rensberger
- UUCP:  hplabs!hpmwtla!garyr