[comp.sys.mac] Apple Ethernet Card Problem.

larry@wiley.UUCP (Larry Gouger) (03/04/88)

I have been having real problems with the Apple Ethernet Card.

I use it in the following setup:
	Macintosh II (obviously), 2M, 40M hard disk
	System: 4.2, Finder: 6.0
	EtherNet Driver: EtherTalk v1.0
	Network Version 1.0

The Problem and its been a big one for me has been using the EtherNet
Card to do TCP/IP using NCSA Telnet 2.1e.  The symptoms of the problem
are the following: I am usually able to startup Telnet and make a
connection with a machine.  After a while the program goes into
Super Slow Motion (Trademark ABC ?); and all communication with the
connected hosts is hung.  I can exit the program using
command keys but it takes a while for there to be any responce.
The problem seems to be related to the network activity; the busier
the network, the bigger the problem.

I wrote a message to Gaige B. Paulsen about the problem to following is
his responce:

>To: <larry@wiley.uucp>
>Subject: Re: telnet2.1e bugreport
>From: Gaige B. Paulsen <gaige@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
>
>I have had a LOT of trouble with my Apple EtherTalk card as well.  I would
>suggest one simple test to check the hardware.  First, set your network
>to Local, then reboot your Mac II.  Run some other (non-Telnet) software and
>see how the machine works.  It has been my experience (and it has been reported
>by some others), that the EtherTalk card has a problem on busy networks which
>will cause it to slow down and/or crash the machine.  If this is NOT the case
>with yours, please send me a response, as I am always willing to find and
>remove bugs from the code.
>
>Incidently, the EtherTalk version works just fine with the Kinetics cards and
>the SCSI box.
>
>Thanks very much!
>Gaige

I have had no trouble running AppleTalk applications that use the Local
network.  I routinely run Tops while I have the network configured in
Local mode.  While the network is in EtherTalk mode all I run is NCSA
Telnet.

If anyone has had similar experiences please let me know.  If any one
knows how to correct the behavior I am experiencing definitely let me
know.

-larry.			Larry Gouger  TRW Inc., CoyoteWorks
			R2/2156, Redondo Beach, CA
			(213) 812-2751
			...!{uunet,cit-vax,trwrb}!wiley!larry

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) (03/08/88)

I heard a very unsubstantiated rumor that the Apple Ethernet card will
sometimes wedge during normal use.  This was actually heard from a
Kinetics person, who heard it from some end user, for what that is worth.

Mike
--
Mike Rutenberg
	Software Engineer & Short Order Cook

verber@fruit.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) (03/08/88)

Once upon a time the Apple EtherTalk board did had a problem of
freezing.  The problem only appeared on a very busy ethernet.  As far
as I know, the problem has been fixed , but a few of the A/UX beta
sites might have gotten the early (buggy) board.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker) (03/08/88)

In article <8415@reed.UUCP> mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:
>I heard a very unsubstantiated rumor that the Apple Ethernet card will
>sometimes wedge during normal use.  This was actually heard from a
>Kinetics person, who heard it from some end user, for what that is worth.

C'mon, if you don't have any concrete information, don't post such notes.
Go get a job with PC Week or some such rag.

>Mike Rutenberg
>	Software Engineer & Short Order Cook
>	(503) 771-5516

Do you also tell your customers - "There may be roaches in your food.  This
is from the brother-in-law of a guy who came in to use the men's room once."

Get serious or use net.bizarre.

Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu

elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Clayton Elwell) (03/08/88)

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:
    I heard a very unsubstantiated rumor that the Apple Ethernet card will
    sometimes wedge during normal use.  This was actually heard from a
    Kinetics person, who heard it from some end user, for what that is worth.

    Mike
    --
    Mike Rutenberg
    	Software Engineer & Short Order Cook
    	(503) 771-5516

That might have been us.  We got one of the first seed EtherTalk
boards, which is still in our seed Mac II, and it does wedge on a busy
Ethernet (like ours :-)), which we reported last year when we found
the problem.  HOWEVER, this board is several revs behind the
production one.  I have used production ones, and have never seen the
problem on any other machine.

I think they work great.

--
Clayton M. Elwell / elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu