[comp.sys.mac] Ever heard of VideoTrax backup system?

klash@uvicctr.UUCP (Karl B. Klashinsky) (02/20/88)

Me again.

I'm looking at buying a backup unit from:

VideoTrax
3501 Sunflower
PO Box 25059
Santa Ana, CA 92799

The unit apparently plugs into the Mac as a SCSI device, and acts as
an interface to a VCR, allowing you to store data on standard Video tapes.
For VHS, apparently a 3.5 hour tape can store 80 megs.

So, to the point:  Anybody got any experience with one of these?  Would
you recommend?  You know, all that "feed me some info" stuff.  Opinions
gladly accepted.  From the little I know, I get the impression that
it would be a cost-effective and efficient means to do backups.

Thanks,
--
Karl Klashinsky                         "I shall endeavour to
University of Victoria                  function adequately."

e-mail:	{uw-beaver, ubc-vision}!uvicctr!klash

Myron-Meier@cup.portal.com (02/22/88)

In message <364@uvicctr.UUCP>, klash@uvicctr.UUCP (Karl B. Klashinsky) writes,

>I'm looking at buying a backup unit from:
>
>VideoTrax
>3501 Sunflower
>PO Box 25059
>Santa Ana, CA 92799
>
>The unit apparently plugs into the Mac as a SCSI device, and acts as
>an interface to a VCR, allowing you to store data on standard Video tapes.
>For VHS, apparently a 3.5 hour tape can store 80 megs.
>
>So, to the point:  Anybody got any experience with one of these?  Would
>you recommend?  You know, all that "feed me some info" stuff.  Opinions
>gladly accepted.  From the little I know, I get the impression that
>it would be a cost-effective and efficient means to do backups.

I haven't had any experience with the VideoTrax system, but I did get a chance
to talk to Alpha Micro at the MacWorld Expo last month.  The VideoTrax system
has been available for quite a while in the form of an IBM card, but they just
recently announced their SCSI version (ie for the Mac).

Here's some info off their infosheet that I picked up at the show:
  * Each block of data is copied several times to ensure data reliability.
    Says that the data on the VideoTrax system is even more reliable than on
    the hard drive you're backing up. [Sounds great!].
    Average error rate for a hard disk is 1 bit in 10 to the -10.
    Average error rate on VideoTrax tape is 1 bit in 10 to the -11.
  * after back the tape can be verified to be restorable
  * can connect to any VCR, although the VideoTrax one is modified to automate
    some operations, ie. rewind, stop, play, etc...
    Works with all VHS, Beta, 8mm, and foreign VCRs
  * In 2-hour mode, VideoTrax can store up to 80MB on one standard video tape
    In 4-hour mode, VideoTrax can store up to 160MB on one tape!
  * Backs up a megabyte of data in 1.3 minutes.  = 10MB in about 13 mins.
  * Backup in either Image mode (whole hard disk) or File-by-File.
  * No tape formatting is required
  * data can be broadcast

The person I talked to in the booth told me that the Software was proprietory
and you couldn't use another program (ie DiskFit), [Darn!!] although the prog
looked pretty extensive, I really can't comment on how fast/reliable it was.

Don't write that check just yet though, He said that it probably wouldn't be
ready until April or so...sorry.

Their address is:
  Alpha Micro
  3501 Sunflower Ave.
  Santa Ana CA 92704
  (714) 957-8500

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (02/23/88)

In article <3394@cup.portal.com> Myron-Meier@cup.portal.com writes:
+In message <364@uvicctr.UUCP>, klash@uvicctr.UUCP (Karl B. Klashinsky) writes,
++I'm looking at buying a backup unit from:

++VideoTrax
++3501 Sunflower
++PO Box 25059
++Santa Ana, CA 92799

++The unit apparently plugs into the Mac as a SCSI device, and acts as
++an interface to a VCR, allowing you to store data on standard Video tapes.
++For VHS, apparently a 3.5 hour tape can store 80 megs.

+Here's some info off their infosheet that I picked up at the show:
+  * Each block of data is copied several times to ensure data reliability.
+    Says that the data on the VideoTrax system is even more reliable than on
+    the hard drive you're backing up. [Sounds great!].
+    Average error rate for a hard disk is 1 bit in 10 to the -10.
                                                              ^^^
+    Average error rate on VideoTrax tape is 1 bit in 10 to the -11.
                                                                ^^^
You can't mean this.  For every bit on your hard disk you get 10^10
errors?  For every bit on VideoTrax tape you get 10^11 errors?  You
won't get far at that rate!

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/25/88)

I've also heard about this, and I understand the price should be around
$300-400 -- a lot cheaper than most 40MB cartridge tape drives (of course,
you have to already have a VCR).  Seems like the way to back up stuff to me
-- I'm recommending that anyone planning on buying a tape backup unit hold
on until this makes it to the market.

>  * data can be broadcast

A friend at MacExpo was talking to someone in this field (I believe he was
from VideoTrax, but I'm not sure), and this is where it gets interesting.  A
British cable station had make a test deal with VideoTrax to have one of the
channels that doesn't put anything on between 2AM and 5AM in the morning
broadcast stuff for (again, I believe) VideoTrax owners.  It was passive
stuff -- 80MB of public domain text (articles, news, general information,
etc.) -- but just think of what a great method this would be for
distribution of Public Domain/Shareware software.  Heck, you could get every
PD hypercard stack available in one evening onto tape (well, maybe two
nights :-) ).

Neat idea, eh?

                    "What are you so damn
                     cheerful about?  The
                     stock market crashed!"
                                           "I'm a software engineer.  I
                                            TRAFFIC in human misery."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

Myron-Meier@cup.portal.com (02/25/88)

Ephraim Vishniac (ephraim@think.com) responded:
>You can't mean this.  For every bit on your hard disk you get 10^10
>errors?  For every bit on VideoTrax tape you get 10^11 errors?  You
>won't get far at that rate!

Whoops!!!  Sorry about that.  I just typed in what I read...It should be 1 bit
in 10 to the 10, and 1 bit in 10 to the 11, repectively.  Thanx for pointing
out the problem!

Myron-Meier@cup.portal.com (02/29/88)

>I've also heard about this, and I understand the price should be around
>$300-400 -- a lot cheaper than most 40MB cartridge tape drives (of course,
>you have to already have a VCR).  Seems like the way to back up stuff to me
>-- I'm recommending that anyone planning on buying a tape backup unit hold
>on until this makes it to the market.

They also sell (or will sell) a unit that includes a specially modified VCR.
The only real advangage to this is that their VCR does some of the stuff
automatically, i.e. Rewind to the beginning of the tape, forward for a couple
of seconds..etc...  Just as a side note, you can buy a Video Tape backup card
for the IBM PC (I dont think its videotrax) for about $75.  When will prices
of Mac hardware come down this low!!

TSI@cup.portal.com (03/09/88)

Hello,

We have been using video backup with Alpha Micro computers for years. They have
been perfecting it for quite some time. I know that the their new release for
the Mac will be a good quality product and will perform as they say.

A happy Alpha Micro computer customer,

David