[comp.sys.mac] Mandelbrot 2.7 reposted to comp.binaries.mac and info-mac

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (03/08/88)

Several weeks ago I mailed Ben Haller's Mandelbrot 2.7 to the moderator of
comp.binaries.mac.  It is just now appearing on the net, but there are a
lot of reports that the files have been garbled.  Not being much of a unix
expert, I don't know what happened.  I don't even understand why my
original 4-part Hqx grew into 6 parts.

Rather than trying to figure out a patch to what has already been posted,
I will resubmit all of Mandelbrot to comp.binaries.mac.  I have tested my
uploads by downloading them from my rn host - they converted just fine.
Let's hope the posting works this time.

I have also sent Mandelbrot to info-mac@sumex.stanford.edu, so folks with
ftp access can look for it there.  Please do NOT send me requests for
Mandelbrot via e-mail (I don't have enough memory in my rnuser account to
archive the files).

Note that Mandelbrot requires an 8 bit/pixel display (color or grayscale).
It will not work on a Plus or SE.  But if you have a Mac II, you will
definitely want to try this program: the displays are beautiful.  Overall,
it is a much slicker item than the MandelZot program which recently
appeared on info-mac.  Bob Woodhead (co-author of Wizardry, and another
Ithacan) has also written a very nice Mandelbrot program for the Mac II.
But I don't know the distribution status of that software.
--
Julian Vrieslander    (607) 255-3594
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (03/11/88)

In article <3967@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> Julian Vrieslander (eacj) writes:
>Rather than trying to figure out a patch to what has already been posted,
>I will resubmit all of Mandelbrot to comp.binaries.mac.  I have tested my
>uploads by downloading them from my rn host - they converted just fine.
>Let's hope the posting works this time.

The widespread damage appears to have been to Part 1, so instead of reposting
the entire package (which I've never done in the past, and hope never to have
to do), I've tried an experiment using the new "Supersedes" header line.  A
couple of days ago, I reposted Part 1 to supersede the original Part 1.  This
posting has the subject line: "Mandelbrot 2.7 (part 1 of 6) [REPOST]"  and
should have gotten to most sites by the time they see this message.

If your site has old news software, you will probably see two copies of part
1, but only one copy should be identified as a REPOST.
--
	Roger L. Long
	dhw68k!bytebug