[comp.sys.mac] advice sought on hard drive purchase

EUA@PSUVM.BITNET (Mel DeYoung) (02/25/88)

I've just sold my IBM to get $$ for a hard drive for my Mac and am looking
for testimonials concerning hard drives.  Price is important to me, and so
is future compatibility.  Anybody out there wild about their cheap 20 meg
drive for their Mac Plus?  Thanks in advance for the info

donna@aoa.UUCP (Donna Albino) (02/26/88)

In article <34532EUA@PSUVM> EUA@PSUVM.BITNET (Mel DeYoung) writes:
>I've just sold my IBM to get $$ for a hard drive for my Mac and am looking
>for testimonials concerning hard drives.  Price is important to me, and so
>is future compatibility.  Anybody out there wild about their cheap 20 meg
>drive for their Mac Plus?  Thanks in advance for the info

Get a Jasmine. They're cheap and filled with 9Mb of PD and shareware
games, utilities, telecommunications, etc. I've had mine for over a year,
with no complaints.

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/27/88)

>Get a Jasmine. They're cheap and filled with 9Mb of PD and shareware
>games, utilities, telecommunications, etc. I've had mine for over a year,
>with no complaints.

Buy a jasmine! We (Fictional Reality, the OtherRealms people) just bought
our second, finally decommissioning the old, very reliable, Paradise 10
serial drive [I'm frankly not sure whether to sell it or enshrine it. The
drive software is going on three years old, and it works fine with the
current system. Certain other disk manufacturers should take note and be
ashamed....] They're fast, they're reliable, they're accessible, and they
give good support. When I had a problem with the shipment of the first
drive, they not only expedited it, they shipped it overnight to me -- at
their cost. That's service. You call them on the phone, they have answers.
They have a BBS where you can call up and download the new versions of their
system software.

And they're inexpensive. 20 megabyte hard disk under $700, plug it in and
play. Like, wow.

(no, I'm not a paid shill for Jasmine. But much of the Mac business
community could learn from these folks....)

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

     There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
                              Ken Olson, President, Digital Equiptment, 1977

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (03/13/88)

In article <43303@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>And they're inexpensive. 20 megabyte hard disk under $700, plug it in and
>play. Like, wow.

Jasmine's a good HD. I want to point out to this guy, though, that he should
think VERY carefully before going with a 20meg. 40 megs is, from what I've
seen and heard, becoming the standard. Hypercard stacks are running up to
100K easily. Programs like PageMaker, Word, FullWrite, and so on can quickly
hit 2 megs before any documents are created. I have a megabyte of Fonts and
DA's. If you have a modem, you'll be downloading streams and binaries often,
and these will eat up a lot of space. If you copy software from friends or
download from pirate BBS's, forget it. You'll fill it up overnight. A 40meg
drive is not only much faster than a 20, but also is MUCH more cost-efficient,
in terms of cost-per-megabyte; spend another couple hundred or so and get
twice the space and speed. It's worth it.

Ron Morgan
osmigo@emx.utexas.edu