[comp.sys.mac] looking desperately for Hebrew word-processor for SE

kishon-amir@CS.Yale.EDU (Amir Kishon) (03/09/88)

I am desperately looking for a Hebrew word-processor for the mac SE.
Lately I tried a DA called MacInHebrew but unfortunately it doesn't work on the
SE because of the new ADB keyboard. I know there is a software company
in Chicago called Davka, which sells such things for about 325$,
I do not want to spend so much money, all I want is to be able to
write in Hebrew from right to left, THAT'S IT.  Please help ...

                                              Desperately yours,
                                              Amir Kishon

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
ARPA:	kishon@cs.yale.edu   , kishon@yale.arpa
BITNET:	kishon@yalecs.bitnet
UUCP:	...{harvard, decvax}!yale!kishon
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

ari@well.UUCP (Ari Davidow) (03/11/88)

>I am desperately looking for a Hebrew word-processor for the Mac SE

Joe Weinstein (author of MacInHebrew) claims to be working on an update
that will accomodate the newer Macs.  In the meantime, it might be
worth subscribing to the Hebrew Users Group newsletter ($7.50/yr) which
covers all of the gossip, reviews, and Q&A relating to using Hebrew with
microcomputers.  We also have some Hebrew desk accessories in our software
'library on the WELL (home of HUG online), but I don't personally know
what works with the SE.

To subscribe to the HUG newsletter, send a check to: HUG newsletter,
c/o Berkeley Hillel, 2736 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA 94704.  We are
planning some extensive Mac overviews in the next couple of issues, so
this is a good time if that is the computer you use.

Ari Davidow   "Jewish" on the WELL--a damn nice example of virtual community
well!ari.uucp@LLL-CRG.LLNL.GOV  |  well!ari@ucbvax.Berkeley.Edu
{ptsfa,hplabs,ucbvax}well!ari

shs@ramones.rutgers.edu (S. H. Schwartz) (03/12/88)

In article <24774@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> kishon-amir@CS.Yale.EDU (Amir Kishon) writes:

>I am desperately looking for a Hebrew word-processor for the mac SE.
>Lately I tried a DA called MacInHebrew but unfortunately it doesn't work on the
>SE because of the new ADB keyboard. I know there is a software company
>in Chicago called Davka, which sells such things for about 325$,

MIT Hillel (617-253-2982) has software for <$100.  You'll have to ask them
about the functionality.

What's the "new ADB keyboard"?

				--- Shimon.
--
	"Misheniknas Nisan, yotzei Adar."
		--- Dan Lerner

ari@well.UUCP (Ari Davidow) (03/13/88)

>MIT Hillel (617-253-2982) has software for <$100.  You'll have to ask them
>about the functionality.

MIT Hillel is marketing MacInHebrew which does not yet run on the SE or
Mac II, although Joe Weinstein, the author, says that he is working on
further enhancements.  To the best of my knowledge, MacInHebrew is shareware
available for a $25 donation to Hillel.  The last version of which I was
aware was 2.1--we have 2.0 on the WELL, but it still has some problems,
even with the older machines.  There are also some P.D. and shareware
desk utilities that will allow one to place hebrew in English Text, and
the Apple Programmers and Developers Association should be marketing a
Hebrew version of the Mac operating system by now (it was due in Feb., but
I haven't had time to follow up), along with a Hebrew/English hypercard.
I believe that APDA is in Oregon, and that they have an 800 number, but
I left my addresses at home tonight, so that is the best I can do.