[comp.sys.mac] QuickerGraf and "Old"

luciw@kodak.UUCP (bill luciw) (03/15/88)

A couple of days ago, I posted a query as to how to properly install
QuickerGraf.  After a methodical "rebuild" of my Mac II system, here is what I
discovered:

The "old" version of TOPS (18Mar87) somehow conflicts with QuickerGraf.
QuickerGraf will install itself properly when TOPS has never been installed,
but once TOPS HAS been installed, it will never work on that system file again.
Even using the "remove" option on the TOPS installer will not work, the system
file must be trashed and a fresh one used.  I hope that the new version of
TOPS (2.0) which we are upgrading to will solve the problem or Apple fixes
QuickerGraf before it becomes part of the system distribution.  I'm not sure
who really "owns" the problem, as long as somebody fixes it.

Thanks for the help anyway ... I'll keep you posted as the saga continues ...

(Gee ... didn't the IBM PC run in to these problems with those strange but
useful TSR utilities -- DA ripoffs?  8-{>  )

--
Bill Luciw / Technology Leader        ATTnet:  (716) 477-5384
Knowledge-Based Systems Group           UUCP: ...rutgers!rochester!kodak!luciw

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (03/16/88)

In article <1175@kodak.UUCP> luciw@kodak.UUCP (bill luciw) writes:
>The "old" version of TOPS (18Mar87) somehow conflicts with QuickerGraf.
>QuickerGraf will install itself properly when TOPS has never been installed,
>but once TOPS HAS been installed, it will never work on that system file again.
>Even using the "remove" option on the TOPS installer will not work, the system
>file must be trashed and a fresh one used.  I hope that the new version of
>TOPS (2.0) which we are upgrading to will solve the problem or Apple fixes
>QuickerGraf before it becomes part of the system distribution.  I'm not sure
>who really "owns" the problem, as long as somebody fixes it.

Yes, the TOPS installer does something strange to the System file (something
to do with installing its own version of the INIT handler).  Anyways, I've
seen this even cause HyperCard to bomb.  I ended up just using Font/DA Mover
to copy the TOPS DA into the System file and moving the other TOPS files
into the System folder.  Then everything works fine.

I do have TOPS 2.0 at home, but since I use Suitcase, I didn't even bother
trying it to see if the problem is fixed.  I just used Font/DA Mover as
before and copied the TOPS DA into a suitcase file in the System Folder.

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720