[comp.sys.mac] query about software development for Mac

shino@motbos.UUCP (Rei Shinozuka MCD SE) (03/07/88)

hi.  i've been developing UNIX software for a few years now and i thought
i'd give the mac a try.  does anyone have any suggestions for a
C compiler and development environment (possibly make utilities, emacs
editor?)  i like unix, so that should give you an idea of what kind of
software tools would be applicable for me.

also, any suggestions for reference, in addition to the inside macintosh
volumes?

thanks,

-rei

thanks for your patience; remember that the neophyte you help today may be
the teacher of tommorrow.  right.

smethers@psu-cs.UUCP (Paul Smethers) (03/11/88)

In article <272@motbos.UUCP> shino@motbos.UUCP (Rei Shinozuka MCD SE) writes:
>hi.  i've been developing UNIX software for a few years now and i thought
>i'd give the mac a try.  does anyone have any suggestions for a
>C compiler and development environment (possibly make utilities, emacs
>editor?)  i like unix, so that should give you an idea of what kind of
>software tools would be applicable for me.

One of the first problems you will run up against is that of designing
and coding your user-interface (and the generation of the resources for
it).  If you are planning to do a Macintosh program (not A/UX), then
Prototyper will allow you to draw your interface quickly, and it will
then generate the code and resources for you.

Paul Smethers
SmethersBarnes

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (03/15/88)

/ hpsmtc1:comp.sys.mac / smethers@psu-cs.UUCP (Paul Smethers) /  1:53 am  Mar 11, 1988 /
In article <272@motbos.UUCP> shino@motbos.UUCP (Rei Shinozuka MCD SE) writes:
>hi.  i've been developing UNIX software for a few years now and i thought
>i'd give the mac a try.  does anyone have any suggestions for a
>C compiler and development environment (possibly make utilities, emacs
>editor?)  i like unix, so that should give you an idea of what kind of
>software tools would be applicable for me.
>

>>One of the first problems you will run up against is that of designing
>>and coding your user-interface (and the generation of the resources for
>>it).  If you are planning to do a Macintosh program (not A/UX), then
>>Prototyper will allow you to draw your interface quickly, and it will
>>then generate the code and resources for you.
>>
>>Paul Smethers
>>SmethersBarnes
>>----------
Yes, but does Prototyper generate C code? The version I played with at
ComputerWare seemed only to do every flavor of Pascal available, not C. THis
was version 1.0 I beleive is there a newer version that does C? If not there
should be! If you are planning to port your product to A/UX the other thing
you could do is come out with a product that does the same thing for X Windows
that sits on top of the X toolkit. There should be a HUGE market for that as
the current set of development tools in that area are primitive to say the
least, if not non existant. In fact it would be nice to see THINK and you both
support X Windows under A/UX, if not under the Mac OS.

David Williams
Hewlett Packard - DCE/User Interface Project

flip@pixar.UUCP (Flip Phillips) (03/16/88)

In article <548@psu-cs.UUCP> smethers@psu-cs.UUCP (Paul Smethers) writes:
>In article <272@motbos.UUCP> shino@motbos.UUCP (Rei Shinozuka MCD SE) writes:
[...] [ a request for development tools]
>One of the first problems you will run up against is that of designing
>and coding your user-interface (and the generation of the resources for
>it).  If you are planning to do a Macintosh program (not A/UX), then
>Prototyper will allow you to draw your interface quickly, and it will
>then generate the code and resources for you.
>
>Paul Smethers
>SmethersBarnes

I'm getting a little tired of seing this stuff. This article and
several others have appeared as advertisement for this product.
As I recall this is not what the net is for.

I am a dissatisfied owner of Prototyper. I have send bug lists to
Mr. Smethers and recieved no reply. I was mislead at Macworld when I bought
it: '...sure, it works FINE in multifinder...' [sic] when there was a
release note inside the manual saying otherwise. The thing crashes
and behaves strangely mose every time I use it. It is also missing
some crucial functionality.
To date I have recieved no indication of a bug fix release or anything else
for that matter.

I am sad...