[comp.sys.mac] Behond the best... Dark Castle.

cgw@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gray Watson) (03/08/88)

Well, I did it!!  Yep, I took the plunge and bought my 3rd piece of Mac
software ever.  This famous honor is shared by:

	LightSpeed C (spectacular)
	SuperMac's SuperSpool (like my Jasmine 40, indispensable)

and...	yep, Behond Dark Castle.

	I decided, that after numerous hours of entertainment with some of the
other superior games produced by Silicon Beach Software (Airborne and of course
Dark Castle to name a couple), it was the least I could do to fork over $27
($30 including shipping via MacConnection).

	What can I say about it??  Quite incredable.  I'm running it on a Plus
with a hard drive and besides a slight delay switching between screens (which
is certainly not noticable on the Mac II) it is flawless!!  The horizontal and
vertical scrolling along with the other neat features Pierce, Gay and the otherhackers at SBS installed, are all sights to see.  Wait till you run around
dodging slithering snakes, setting bombs and bonking guards with your mace.

To the folks at Silicon Beach:
	Brillian work!!!!!  Hats off to you!!!!
	Just one favor.  Please hold off writing on the Behond, Behond DC
		till I have time to finish this one (a year or three).

cgw@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu

p.s.  I know it might be hard to believe but I am not affiliated with any of
	the above companies I meantioned... O.K. plugged.

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (03/08/88)

I am the bearer of ery bad news. Silicon Beach Software has said repeatedly
that they will not be producing any games after Apache Strike Mission and
Beyond Dark Castle. Since SBS is a leading innoator in Macintosh-based games,
this means the loss of good potentials, and that we have only flight simulation
software and silly puzzle games (nee The Fool's Errand) to play. I am
saddeded by this loss, as I suppose many others are too.

To paraphrase from memory:

an SBS employee said, "It takes as much to produce a game as a business product
and a business product sells for more."

Perhaps we can start some sort of Letter Writing Campaign to help change
their mind. If lobbying can solve this coming dearth of games, then we
must take the challenge and demand our games!

DISCLAIMER: I am not in any way affiliated with SBS or anybody for that manner.

~  Alexander M. Rosenberg  ~ INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   ~ Yoyodyne    ~
~  Crown College, UCSC     ~ UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba~ Propulsion  ~
~  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    ~ BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  ~ Systems     ~
~  (408) 426-8869	   ~ Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  ~ :-)         ~
~			   ~ so nobody cares what I say.	~	      ~

rce229@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/10/88)

According to an interview in one of the Mac magazines with Silicon
Beach's president, they won't be doing any more games after Beyond
Dark Castle.

Maybe they'll reconsider if BDK does better than SuperPaint II.

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (03/10/88)

In article <2260@saturn.ucsc.edu> alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) writes:
|I am the bearer of ery bad news. Silicon Beach Software has said repeatedly
|that they will not be producing any games after Apache Strike Mission and
|Beyond Dark Castle.
|
|an SBS employee said, "It takes as much to produce a game as a business product
|and a business product sells for more."
|
|Perhaps we can start some sort of Letter Writing Campaign to help change
|their mind. If lobbying can solve this coming dearth of games, then we
|must take the challenge and demand our games!

A better way to encourage them to change their minds would be for a LOT of
people to go out and buy their games.

(Standard Disclaimers Apply, ...)
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

ack@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Andy J. Williams) (03/11/88)

In article <1055@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> cgw@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Gray Watson) writes:
>Well, I did it!!  Yep, I took the plunge and bought my 3rd piece of Mac

>and...	yep, Behond Dark Castle.
             ^^^^^^
>	Just one favor.  Please hold off writing on the Behond, Behond DC
                                                  ^^^^^^  ^^^^^^

Did they write ANOTHER game???  I just ordered BeYond Dark Castle, have they
already released another called Behond?  What next?  Behind Dark Castle???

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

-Andy

--
Andy J. Williams'90 |_   /| ACK!  |BITNET: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
HB 509 Dartmouth Clg|\`o_O'Systems|UUCP:{ihnp4,decvax,linus}!dartvax!eleazar!ack

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (03/12/88)

In article <2260@saturn.ucsc.edu> alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) writes:
>I am the bearer of ery bad news. Silicon Beach Software has said repeatedly
>that they will not be producing any games after Apache Strike Mission and
>Beyond Dark Castle. Since SBS is a leading innoator in Macintosh-based games,
>this means the loss of good potentials, and that we have only flight simulation
>software and silly puzzle games (nee The Fool's Errand) to play. I am
>saddeded by this loss, as I suppose many others are too.

Frankly, I've gotten enough superior software products from Silicon Beach
(SuperPaint, Super3D) that I prefer to have them to produce their
high-quality business software over their (equally excellent) game software
(I've bought DC, BDC and Apache Strike).  I hardly think trying to lobby a
company to make a decision that will net them less money will be very
effective.

As to future games, I think the Next Big Attraction will be Spectrum
Holobyte's PT 109 -- like a much-advanced version of Gato above-water.
Latest says it'll be out in the middle of April.  And I (for one) LOVE The
Fool's Errand.  I just wish I could figure out what the "rowdy jig of yore"
is in the Lovers' puzzle...

                        "And, of course, you have the commercials where
                         savvy businesspeople Get Ahead by using their
                         MacIntosh computers to create the ultimate American
                         business product: a really sharp-looking report."
                                                -- Dave Barry

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (03/15/88)

In article <3106@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>In article <2260@saturn.ucsc.edu> alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) writes:
>
>As to future games, I think the Next Big Attraction will be Spectrum
>Holobyte's PT 109 -- like a much-advanced version of Gato above-water.
>Latest says it'll be out in the middle of April.  And I (for one) LOVE The
>Fool's Errand.  I just wish I could figure out what the "rowdy jig of yore"
>is in the Lovers' puzzle...
	Try "Jump for Pleasure" or synonyms thereof

	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi
	dwb@apple.com                   973-5168@408.MaBell
Disclaimer: Apple doesn't even know I have an opinion and certainly
	wouldn't want if they did.

LineCounter Fodder
LineCounter Fodder
LineCounter Fodder
LineCounter Fodder
LineCounter Fodder
LineCounter Fodder
LineCounter Fodder
LineCounter Fodder

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (03/17/88)

I have a lot of software available on my boss' Mac at work, and across the
street, where the team that developed dBASE Mac lives.  But I've bought a
couple of programs for my Mac Plus at home that really *deserve* my
business.  I work in IBM-mode all day, and I can't think of a single
analogue in the MS-DOS or Unix world to the example set by Think Technologies
or Silicon Beach Software.  In both cases, these companies offer products
that exceeded expectations massively--the speed and ease of Lightspeed C,
the sounds and the sense of involvement of Dark Castle.  But they have gone
on to revise the originals with an impressive sense of what it was about
them that people liked in the first place.  I'm eager for LSC v3.0 and I'm
an orb away from mastering Beginner mode in Beyond Dark Castle.

Sorry--no information in this posting, nothing you can take away and use
except that if I ever go into business I certainly plan to model it after
these two excellent companies.

Alastair Dallas