[comp.sys.mac] Hardware Test Programs for Mac II

lchirica@polyslo.UUCP (Laurian Chirica) (03/14/88)

I had a Mac II since Dec. '78 and I love it.  Recently, some strange things
started to happen (as warranty period is about to expire).  It would take
too long to describe in detail, but I suspect a hardware problem.
It could be anything from the keyboard to a RAM bit which went bad.
The question is: Does anyone know of some kind of hardware test programs
for the Mac II which would help narrow the problem?  I did not see any
ad in the usual magazines for such programs.  I also looked into the
APDA catalog (I am a member) and I did not see anything available.  I find
it hard to believe that such programs do not exist.
If I receive any useful information I will summarize and post.
Thanks,
--
Laurian M. Chirica  (lchirica@polyslo.UUCP)
Computer Science Department

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (03/14/88)

Two things:
You have had a Mac II since before the Macintosh was even a concept in the
minds of those Apple people???? (You said '78.)

The only test program I know of for the Mac II is Mac Test II. This is only
available to VARs and Apple Dealers providing Mac II service. You need
beyond just the disk full of software, a SCSI loopback card, a Serial loopback
cable, video testing hardware (for checking monitors colors, etc.).

I would recommend that you head for a dealer or University repair shop if your
Mac II is sick, as trying to test and fix a Mac II by yourself not only is
not recommended, but would violate your warrenty (yours is already up, you said)

~  Alexander M. Rosenberg  ~ INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   ~ Yoyodyne    ~
~  Crown College, UCSC     ~ UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba~ Propulsion  ~
~  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    ~ BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  ~ Systems     ~
~  (408) 426-8869	   ~ Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  ~ :-)         ~
~			   ~ so nobody cares what I say.	~	      ~

kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Ken Wallich) (03/16/88)

/ hpsmtc1:comp.sys.mac / lchirica@polyslo.UUCP (Laurian Chirica) / 11:15 am  Mar 13, 1988 /
>I had a Mac II since Dec. '78 and I love it.
                      ^^^^^^^
Gee, then why did I buy that wimply little 128K mac in 1984 :-).

Actually, I haven't been able to find any hardware test programs for my
II either, although I'm not having any problems (I bought mine in November
'87, or was that '06?), but then I bought AppleCare, so I guess I'm
blessed :-)).

ken

lchirica@polyslo.UUCP (Laurian Chirica) (03/17/88)

In article <11540148@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Ken Wallich) writes:
>/ hpsmtc1:comp.sys.mac / lchirica@polyslo.UUCP (Laurian Chirica) / 11:15 am  Mar 13, 1988 /
>>I had a Mac II since Dec. '78 and I love it.
>                      ^^^^^^^
>Gee, then why did I buy that wimply little 128K mac in 1984 :-).

Sorry about the typo!  Dyslexic fingers, I suppose :-).  It was Dec. 1987.
And, yes, even partly broken, I do like my Mac II.

>Actually, I haven't been able to find any hardware test programs for my
>II either, although I'm not having any problems (I bought mine in November
>'87, or was that '06?), but then I bought AppleCare, so I guess I'm blessed :-)
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So that's the idea! More $$$$....

Why is it that IBM PC buyers can get (at additional cost) test programs,
hardware reference manuals with step-by-step instructions for trouble
shooting?  Why is it that the 'rest of us' cannot be trusted to use
a SCSI loopback and a test program?   I am willing to pay for the
additional hardware and manuals and be able to do my own maintenance
after warranty.   What's wrong with that?

Please no flames about sticking with IBM and all that... That's
hardly my point.  I know that MacII is a more complex machine than
the PC, but I like it well enough to put in the time and effort to learn
and take care of it, probably better than an average dealer.

Hardware IQ test, Apple style:  Guess where the programmer switch goes on
the Mac II?  Hint: the more you know about previous Macs the worse your guess
is likely to be.  No other instructions.

Yes, I love my Mac but I am not so sure about the Apple Inc. policies.