[comp.sys.mac] Computer Socio-paths

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (03/17/88)

In article <22168@bbn.COM> dredick@vax.bbn.com (The Druid) writes:

>	I am really interested in the make-up of a virus and the
>vaccination. Could someone send me or point me to a SOURCE for a sample
>benign virus or vaccination!
>
>Many Thanks,
>-- The Druid
>=    The Druid (dredick@bbn.com)                                              =
>=                   "Did you ever feel that you were a typewriter,            =
>=                    when everone else in the world was a wordprocessor"      =

Don't trust anyone who can't even sign his real name to his postings.
:^):^):^)

As an aside, it appears that Don Brown (writer of Vaccine!) at CE
Software has actually received threats of things that would happen if
he released it.  They seem to be coming from a person identified only
as "Mike" on Compuserve.  "Mike" threatens to release a virus designed
to destroy people's harddisks should Don release Vaccine!

It is a curiosity to know what would provoke someone to be so
socio-pathological.  What could possibly motivate someone to take a
stance like this?  The only conclusion is that this person is just
plain evil, derives pleasure from releasing viruses and won't permit
anyone to interfere in his fun; a sick attitude at best.

As a precaution, when you download, keep a skeleton system disk handy.
Transfer the program to that disk, write-protect it and unmount your
harddisk before starting it up.  This should be a lot safer and good
protection against sick minds like "Mike"'s.

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
|                            Credo Quia Absurdum Est                          |