[comp.sys.mac] MacJove query

km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) (03/19/88)

The Macintosh version of Jove (Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs) has
recently been made available. The sources are to eventually be posted
on comp.sources.unix and are also available from several sites via ftp.
The binaries are available via ftp from our system, and will eventually
be on info-mac at sumex-aim.

The question is whether to post the binaries and documentation
to the net in comp.binaries.mac. I am not interested in overloading the
net with the binaries, particularly if only a few people are interested
in obtaining the binaries this way. However, I have already received
several requests for binaries from people with no access to ftp, and would
like to accomodate them.

If you are interested in having the binaries posted to the net, please let
me know, so I can judge whether this would be worthwhile or not.

Also, if you have sent me mail on the subject, I will attempt to respond.
However, our mailer occassionally has problems with non-arpa addresses.

Thank You.

Ken Mitchum
University of Pittsburgh
Decision Systems Labs

ghh@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Gilbert Harman) (03/21/88)

MacJove bombs regularly in MultiFinder on my SE with 4 meg
of memory and a Hypercharger 020 board.  No troubles with
Microemacs 3.8 under the same conditions.

Gilbert Harman, Princeton University Cognitive Science Lab,
221 Nassau Street, Princeton, NJ 08542   ghh@princeton.edu

ghh@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Gilbert Harman) (03/21/88)

I think I have located the problem.  It seems to be an
interaction between MacJove and the init "MultiFinder Keys"
version 1.0 by Greg Satz, Jan. 1988.  That init makes it
possible to switch to the next or previous application using
the option key and an arrow key.  If I am in MacJove and try
it, however, I get the message previously mentioned (with a
code (2)).  Clearly, the solution for me is to get rid of
the MFKeys init.

Gil Harman, Princeton University Cognitive Science Lab
221 Nassau Street, Princeton, NJ 08544   ghh@princeton.edu

km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) (03/21/88)

In article <2018@mind.UUCP> ghh@princeton.edu (Gilbert Harman) writes:
>MacJove bombs regularly in MultiFinder on my SE with 4 meg
>of memory and a Hypercharger 020 board.  No troubles with
>Microemacs 3.8 under the same conditions.
>
>Gilbert Harman, Princeton University Cognitive Science Lab,
>221 Nassau Street, Princeton, NJ 08542   ghh@princeton.edu

I was upset to hear of the above, and have replied to the author. As
MacJove is a fairly new program, developed largely by an individual
(but not entirely in a vacuum), I am actively seeking bug reports and
suggestions for future changes. However, as I need more information than
"it bombs on my machine", the following discussion is directed towards
anyone having problems.

MacJove was developed on two systems, a MacPlus and a Macintosh II, each
with 1 mb, running System 4.2 and Finder 6.0, using LightspeedC 2.13.
The current version of MacJove is only a few weeks old, but
a port of an earlier version of Jove has been in use on one of the
systems for over a year without problems. Because of the memory
limitations, we did not make extensive use of Multifinder, but
experienced no problems with brief trials of MacJove under Multifinder.
While no specific Multifinder services are exploited, MacJove uses a
standard event loop and calls SystemTask() as frequently as possible
between commands. We now have 5 mb in the Macintosh II, and will be using
MacJove more regularly under Multifinder.

If you experience any problems, please let me know as precisely as
possible what the problem is, according to the following questions:

1) In what form did you obtain MacJove? Did you download the binary
or compile from sources? Where and when did you obtain the sources?
What compiler and library version are you using?

2) Under what hardware/software configuration does the problem occur?
Do you have any alternate configurations under which it does not occur?
Does it only occur under Multifinder? If so, is it only when a large
number of programs are running, or even when the program is running alone?
If you are running an outboard processor, does the program still bomb
when the processor is removed?

3) When does the program bomb? On startup? When saving a file? When loading
a large number of files, or when the tempfile becomes large? Does it
occur when the program is run after a reboot, or only after some other
programs are loaded/run? Is there a predictable sequence of events
than you can do to cause it to bomb, or is it "random"? If not random,
what is the minimum that you can do to reproduce the error?

4) What does the program do when it bombs? Is there a System Error Message
with a number, does the mouse freeze, etc? Is anything else (i.e. PRAM)
affected when the crash occurs?

5) Anything else you notice may be helpful, however seemingly unrelated.
On the Macintosh, the symptoms and the disease are sometimes miles apart.

I regret having to post this, and fully suspect that now no one will try
MacJove. I am honestly interested in finding and fixing bugs, but I need
more information.

  Ken Mitchum
  University of Pittsburgh
  Decision Systems Labs