[comp.sys.mac] Do we need games?

jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) (03/11/88)

In <2260@saturn.ucsc.edu> alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (A. M. Rosenberg) writes:
>this means the loss of good potentials, and that we have only flight simulation
>software and silly puzzle games (nee The Fool's Errand) to play. I am
>saddeded by this loss, as I suppose many others are too.

Maybe we should start writing good public domain arcade games.

It takes a lot of assembly language to make the graphics routines fast,
but the game logic is relatively easy to write in C or Pascal (I use C).
Maybe a gamewriters toolkit would boost production...

I just wrote some graphics routines that allow fast scrolling of a playfield
and up to 16 sprites per horizontal row. I also have a general purpose maze
editor that can relatively easily be converted to edit mazes of any size.
(No one should be forced to create a new maze the way it was done in Teltnuag!)

Currently my routines work only in B&W (color is planned). They provide
a 512x512 playfield of which a 256x256 field is always visible. Any number
of sprites can be used, although performance naturally decreases as the
amount of sprites increases. The size of playfield can be increased, but
currently it requires some programming (my program has a 16*16 block maze
constructed out of ICONs). The sprite is 32 pixels wide and currently 32
pixels high (height is easy to change).

If there's interest, I might document the code and make it free...

Juri Munkki
jmunkki@santra.hut.fi
jmunkki@fingate.bitnet

P.S. Is there ever going to be a Microsoft Flight Simulator for the Mac II?
     (I have Falcon, but it's a toy)

ae1@k.cc.purdue.edu (Tim Volpert) (03/14/88)

Juri:
	Both the routines and the maze editor sound interesting.  I am just
beginning some work on an application which will require some quick video
monitoring - if possible, I would appreciate a posting to ~binaries.

Thanks.

--
Tim Volpert  Purdue Univ. Computing Center - Micro Repair 317/494-1787 ext 242
   ARPA:    ae1@k.cc.purdue.edu

hunt@cg-atla.UUCP (Walter Hunt X7031) (03/22/88)

>In <2260@saturn.ucsc.edu> alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (A. M. Rosenberg) categorizes
>The Fool's Errand
as one of those
>silly puzzle games
.

I classify Fool's Errand as the best computer game for the Mac, or
any other computer I've ever played.  Of course it's not an arcade
game, but it's far from silly -- it's challenging and *addictive*.
Its use of the Mac as a vehicle for a sort of mega-puzzle is
compelling.

Perhaps Mr. Rosenberg would be better served by buying a Nintendo
game system than by trying to shoehorn the Mac into a video arcade.

Walter Hunt