[comp.sys.mac] I've got a virus -- fix to halt spread

borton@net1.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton) (03/09/88)

Well, Mike came through today at work and figured that virus out completely.
This is a very quick description of what it does and how to stop the spread; a
comprehensive report describing all of its workings will follow in a day or
two.  If anyone has strong feelings about publishing this information
(anti-virus could be doubly reverse-engineered) please mail me ASAP.

For ResEdit hackers:
Quick-fix to halt spread: open INIT 32 in your System File with ResEdit.
Select all hex code and delete.  Enter in two bytes -- 4E 75 -- which merely
puts an RTS there.  Then go into each nVIR resource and delete all information
in them.  Don't delete those resources!  The virus checks for their existence
(only); if they are there, then it assumes they're OK.  With the changes above,
they are harmless and won't spread the virus further.

The virus depends upon INIT 32 and nVIR 0-7 resources in the System file.  What
it does to each application is modify the CODE #0 resource, altering 8 bytes in
the jump table to execute the code in CODE #256, which it also installs.  The
nVIR resources hold copies of important info -- #2 has the 8 original bytes
from the applications CODE 0 resource.  #6 is a copy of INIT 32, and so on...
The 8 bytes are the first 8 on the third line in ResEdit.

There is a 1 in 16 chance upon running an infected application that it will say
"Don't panic" if you have MacinTalk installed, SysBeep elsewise.

An interesting side note to all this: applications done with Lightspeed C are
NOT affected.  They will have nVIR resources and CODE 256, but no patch.  Why?
LS C automatically sets the ResProtect bit on CODE 0, so the patch is never
written out.  MPW code is NOT protected.  Anyone care to comment on the
significance of this all?

Mike is writing two things tonight that should help the situation: one is a
patch for GetResource that, if nVIR is detected, warns the user that the
current application is infected.  The other is a vaccination program that
reverse-patches infected programs.  Hopefully these will be ready and posted
soon.

Again, this is a touchy issue in some places.  Please contribute any knowledge
you have; I agree in principle with the German fellow on getting this out in
the open, but am deeply chagrined that someone would actually implement this
and spread it.

-cbb
Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!borton
					borton@ucsd.edu or BORTON@UCSD.BITNET
Letztes Jahr in Deutschland, nog een jaar hier, en dan naar Amsterdam!
"H = F cubed.  Happiness = Food, Fun, & Friends."  --Steve Wozniak

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (03/10/88)

There was mention in MacWeek about someone at CE Software producing an
INIT called Vaccine that protected Systems from infestation by such
beasties.  Does anyone know of its whereabouts?  It was supposed to be
released on Compuserve and Genie at the end of last week.

If someone runs across it, run, don't walk and post it.  I don't think
anyone would object to it even being posted here to get it to people
as fast as possible.

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|                            Credo Quia Absurdum Est                          |

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (03/10/88)

Vaccine is written by Don Brown of CE Software and is not yet out of beta test.

I an E-Mail chat with Don over the last few days, I learned that he has been
working on other CE software products and has not had a chance to work much
on Vaccine.

Don't think that Vaccine will be the end of viruses... vaccine will be a
solution for a certain limited nnumber of viruses... but there will be more.
We need to have a few heads on pikes to show people that violation of other
peoples computers and data is a bad thing....

			David

David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
MCIMail: DSpector				New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (03/12/88)

In article <650008@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU> spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) writes:

>Vaccine is written by Don Brown of CE Software and is not yet out of beta test.
>
> (More on this deleted...)
>
>Don't think that Vaccine will be the end of viruses... vaccine will be a
>solution for a certain limited nnumber of viruses... but there will be more.
>We need to have a few heads on pikes to show people that violation of other
>peoples computers and data is a bad thing....
>

>			David

>David HM Spector				New York University

I read an interesting message just today on my local FidoNet node in the
EchoMac section.  It went like this:

db From:    David Beecher
db
db To:      Chuck Maddox                   Msg #470, 09-Mar-88 12:03pm
db Subject: Re: Mac Mag's Peace Message Virus
db
db It would be easier to contact the territory's authorities and  notify
db them of illegal modification of your computer equipment.  The FBI in
db our country looks as "virus'" or "bombs" as illegal entry (breaking &
db entering) with attempt to destroy.  They like to nail these people and
db make examples of them.  Surely there are similar authorities in
db Canada. This is one way to get even. . Just a thought, -Dave
db
db ---  * Origin: BMM - Boulder Mac Maniacs (303)-530-9544 (Opus
db 1:104/49)

Personally, I think this is a pretty darn good idea.  I'd like to see our
MacMag friend hanged from the rafters.  An example or two of rough treatment
of these jerks that produce and propagate viruses just might do the job to rub
them out.  I'd much prefer to see a virus attacked at its source rather than
when it is already trying to corrupt my System file!

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

icm@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ioannis C. Mangos) (03/23/88)

Can someone post a list of programs that produce those viruses?
Are the viruses some new kind of copy protection, a very nasty one?