[comp.sys.mac] Apple memory upgrade backlog

king@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Jim King) (03/10/88)

I am curious to learn how long people have been having to wait to get
memory upgrades from Apple.  I ordered a 2 meg memory upgrade for my Mac+
through my University in October and I am still waiting.

I understand that there really is a SIMM shortage, so I have a certain
amount of sympathy for Apple's position, but I also have the feeling
that there are a lot of megabit SIMMs being shipped with AUX machines.

Anyway, I would like to run a survey.  I will tally the results and
post.  If you have ordered megabit SIMMs from Apple since they dropped
the price in the fall, please tell me when you ordered them and when
you got them (if you have).  Also, please say whether you ordered them
from a dealer, through a university, or whatever.  As I say, if there
are responses I will post a summary.  Please send me mail rather than
posting this.

I wonder if Apple has thought about the fact that the people they are
trying to impress by shipping AUX may be the same people who are
waiting for memory upgrades for lowly Mac Plusses.  Now we segue into
that classic flame--why doesn't Apple reward its old supporters by . .
. etc. etc. .  ( |-), I think.)

Maybe Apple can bundle Fullwrite with the memory upgrades.  The two
items seem to have the same shipping date. |-), for sure.

Jim King

uucpnet address:   uw-beaver!uw-entropy!king
Internet (arpanet) address:    king@entropy.ms.washington.edu
Bitnet address:
king%entropy.ms.washington.edu@beaver.cs.washington.edu

James King
Dept of Math
Univ of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195

rmh@Apple.COM (Rick Holzgrafe) (03/11/88)

In article <793@entropy.ms.washington.edu> king@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Jim King) writes:

>I am curious to learn how long people have been having to wait to get
>memory upgrades from Apple.  I ordered a 2 meg memory upgrade for my Mac+
>through my University in October and I am still waiting.
>
>I understand that there really is a SIMM shortage, so I have a certain
>amount of sympathy for Apple's position, but I also have the feeling
>that there are a lot of megabit SIMMs being shipped with AUX machines.
>
>Jim King
>
>uucpnet address:   uw-beaver!uw-entropy!king
>Internet (arpanet) address:    king@entropy.ms.washington.edu
>Bitnet address:
>king%entropy.ms.washington.edu@beaver.cs.washington.edu

If it will make you feel any better (it probably won't :-), here at
Apple I and the others in my group have been waiting some months for
RAM upgrades for our primary development machines.  There really is
a SIMM shortage!

We are all waiting just as fast as we can... (*sigh*)

Rick Holzgrafe			 | {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Communications Software Engineer | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1    rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.		 | "All opinions expressed are mine, and
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 27-Y	 | do not necessarily represent those of
Cupertino, CA 95014		 | my employer, Apple Computer Inc."

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (03/11/88)

In article <793@entropy.ms.washington.edu>, king@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Jim King) writes:

> I am curious to learn how long people have been having to wait to get
> memory upgrades from Apple.  I ordered a 2 meg memory upgrade for my Mac+
> through my University in October and I am still waiting.

> Anyway, I would like to run a survey.  I will tally the results and
> post.  If you have ordered megabit SIMMs from Apple since they dropped
> the price in the fall, please tell me when you ordered them and when
> you got them (if you have).  Also, please say whether you ordered them
> from a dealer, through a university, or whatever.  As I say, if there
> are responses I will post a summary.  Please send me mail rather than
> posting this.

I Ordered My 2m (2 Of Them) Upgrades dec 14, with the rest of my Mac II order
and got them last week.  I understand that there is a 14-16 week backup in
orders.  In my opinion, you are getting shafted.  I got mine thru the
U. of Pittsburgh computer center, and I must say that my order was
"expedited" (if you can call a 12 week wait expedition) by our apple rep
because our university dealer failed to mention the backlog to our sales folk
and this was their way of making the oversight up.

Sorry I posted this instead of mailing, but my mailer croaked on your address.

Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student

north@Apple.COM (Donald N. North) (03/11/88)

In article <793@entropy.ms.washington.edu> king@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Jim King) writes:
>I am curious to learn how long people have been having to wait to get
>memory upgrades from Apple.  I ordered a 2 meg memory upgrade for my Mac+
>through my University in October and I am still waiting.
Our mistake was that we lowered the price; we caused demand to skyrocket!

>I understand that there really is a SIMM shortage, so I have a certain
>amount of sympathy for Apple's position, but I also have the feeling
>that there are a lot of megabit SIMMs being shipped with AUX machines.
Wrong; see below.

>I wonder if Apple has thought about the fact that the people they are
>trying to impress by shipping AUX may be the same people who are
>waiting for memory upgrades for lowly Mac Plusses.  Now we segue into
>that classic flame--why doesn't Apple reward its old supporters by . .
Reward how? Lowest serial number wins?  Everybody is 'on allocation'.

Hey guys, don't blame us for this one!  Send your nasty letters to
your congressman / favorite government official who voted in support
of the 'fair market value' / production limitation by the Japanese
DRAM vendors, so that the US industry (can you name one?) suppliers
would have a chance.

However, my understanding is that all of our larger SIMMs (1MB) are
going out in *upgrade* kits (not inside A/UX Mac2 boxes), so that
everyone has a 'fair shot' at more memory.  The demand, however, is
significantly greater than the current supply - it's an industry-wide
problem.  Blame all the Sun user's who cram 16MB in *each* box... :-)

RLWALD@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert Wald) (03/14/88)

In article <793@entropy.ms.washington.edu>, king@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Jim King) writes:

>I am curious to learn how long people have been having to wait to get
>memory upgrades from Apple.  I ordered a 2 meg memory upgrade for my Mac+
>through my University in October and I am still waiting.
>
>I understand that there really is a SIMM shortage, so I have a certain
>amount of sympathy for Apple's position, but I also have the feeling
>that there are a lot of megabit SIMMs being shipped with AUX machines.

    There is no real shortage of SIMMs except in economic terms which is
why the price is going up. However, Apple is simply not supplying the
bonsortium schools with SIMMs. I spoke to the local dealer that handles
the consortium as well as regular purchases, and the store has plenty
of SIMMs available for regular purchase, but have been back ordered since
September for consortium ones (they can't switch the inventory).

-Rob Wald                Bitnet: RLWALD@PUCC.BITNET
                         Uucp: {ihnp4|allegra}!psuvax1!PUCC.BITNET!RLWALD
                         Arpa: RLWALD@PUCC.Princeton.Edu
"Why are they all trying to kill me?"
     "They don't realize that you're already dead."     -The Prisoner

smh@mhuxu.UUCP (S. M. Henning) (03/15/88)

In article <4697@pucc.Princeton.EDU>, RLWALD@pucc.UUCP(Rob Wald) writes:
> In article <793@entropy.ms.washington.edu>,  (Jim King) writes:
> >
> >I am curious to learn how long people have been having to wait to get
> >memory upgrades from Apple.
> >I understand that there really is a SIMM shortage, so I have a certain
> >amount of sympathy for Apple's position, but I also have the feeling
> >that there are a lot of megabit SIMMs being shipped with AUX machines.
>

>     There is no real shortage of SIMMs except in economic terms which is
> why the price is going up.

I know of several orders for Memory Upgrades which have waited for over 3 months
due to the SIMM shortage.  The problem the manufacturers claim is that the
Asian memory chips drove the US manufacturers out of business and then could
not meet the demand for parts with a self imposed trade restriction on imports.
Thus our trade policy has shot us in the foot again.

We have had no trouble geting SE's and II's which have the same memory chips.
That is pure economics.  Why jepordize the sale of a several $1000 system just
to sell memory upgrades?

****                                                             ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxu!smh

cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) (03/16/88)

This may not help, but about a month ago I asked my local dealer
to get me a 1mb->5mb for my Mac II and the SIMMs appeared in
about three weeks.  I don't know if my particular dealer had
an unexpected surplus in their delivery chain, or what.  But I
have heard of others in my area getting upgrades in a similar
amount of time recently.

Note that I have no connection with my dealer other than having
given them entirely too much of my money. However, if it helps,
they are:

Carolina Computer Store
(919) 469-5555

The store manager is Kathy Peace, and she has always been
most helpful.

Tom Cole
SAS Institute
{anywhere} mcnc|rti|sas|cole

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (03/18/88)

An AP article yesterday in our local newspaper tried to explain the
skyrocketing memory prices.  The Japanese are voluntarily restraining
production to raise the price of chips.  Only TI an Micron Technology
still make large DRAMs in the U.S.  The article asserts that:

1.  TI an Micron are simply absorbing windfall profits in the U.S.
    I think Motorola has finally decided to re-enter the market.
2.  The Japanese are absorbing windfall profits in Japan, and will
    probably plough the money back into R & D.
3.  The shortage resembles the Japanese automobile voluntary
    restraints.  It's likely the japanese will move into high-end
    chips (CPUs?), as they did with cars.

I think DRAM technology is inelastic, like petroleum.  It takes years
for the market to react to a steep rise in prices, because maverick
competitors must invent new high-density chip designs to compete.

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (03/23/88)

in article <76000153@uiucdcsp>, gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu says:
> Nf-ID: #R:entropy.ms.washington.edu:793:uiucdcsp:76000153:000:891
> Nf-From: uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu!gillies    Mar 17 12:42:00 1988
>

> An AP article yesterday in our local newspaper tried to explain the
> skyrocketing memory prices.  The Japanese are voluntarily restraining
> production to raise the price of chips.  Only TI an Micron Technology
> still make large DRAMs in the U.S.  The article asserts that:
>
> 1.  TI an Micron are simply absorbing windfall profits in the U.S.
>     I think Motorola has finally decided to re-enter the market.
> 2.  The Japanese are absorbing windfall profits in Japan, and will
>     probably plough the money back into R & D.
> 3.  The shortage resembles the Japanese automobile voluntary
>     restraints.  It's likely the japanese will move into high-end
>     chips (CPUs?), as they did with cars.
>
> I think DRAM technology is inelastic, like petroleum.  It takes years
> for the market to react to a steep rise in prices, because maverick
> competitors must invent new high-density chip designs to compete.

From what some of my graduate students tell me, the DRAM shortage is
affecting mini computers as well as micros.

Oh - Apple tells me that there will be a 3-4 month wait on the 1 meg
SIMMS I ordered for my Mac II.  Holy cow!

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai