[comp.sys.mac] Shareware and viruses

markn@ll1a.UUCP (Mark Nettleingham) (03/19/88)

	While pondering the many postings to this group about
viruses, and the shareware problem (not enough people register and
pay for shareware programs). It occurred to me that there may be a
way to solve both problems at once. Or at least improve the current
situation.

	What we need is:

	1. A data base of check sums (CRC, whatever) for each of the
	   programs on a system.

	2. A program that will maintain and update this data base.

	3. Some way to populate this data base with the proper
	   information. After all the program you just downloaded
	   from XYZZY bulletin board may be infected, and you won't
	   be able to detect an unknown virus unless you know what
	   the check code for the original program should be.

	Given that we have the above doctor program, an author could
use it to create a check list for his program and send the list to
all who register the program. For "freeware" programs a nominal fee
could be charged 1 to 5 dollars perhaps. Given an original list from
the programs author, doctor could test the program before it's run
on the users "regular" disk and detect any viruses that may be
present.

	Some one wishing to distribute an infected program would
have to send a list to the victim (via US mail) before the program
could do any damage. I doubt that a software terrorist would want
the public to know even the city the program originated from, much
less an address.

	I am NOT the author of any shareware programs, nor do I
advocate enforcement of software license via terror. I would simply
like to be able to trust the many good programs that I download. I
believe that the above proposal (if it can be implemented) would at
least give us a greater degree of certainty than we currently have.

	Mark Nettleingham
	...!ihnp4!ll1!markn

dudek@csri.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) (03/24/88)

In article <2157@ll1a.UUCP> markn@ll1a.UUCP (Mark Nettleingham) writes:

>	While pondering the many postings to this group about
>viruses, and the shareware problem (not enough people register and
>pay for shareware programs). It occurred to me that there may be a
>way to solve both problems at once. Or at least improve the current
>situation.
>
>	What we need is:
>
>	1. A data base of check sums (CRC, whatever) for each of the
>	   programs on a system.
>
>	2. A program that will maintain and update this data base.

   There may be a simpler solution to the virus problem.
There are only a few "easy" ways for a virus to infect a system.  By
checking these, the virus creation problem becomes much trickier for those
nasty people & hence cuts a lot of them out.

In order for a virus to escape the original code it comes in, and hence become
a problem, it has to install inself in another
piece of code that will get executed.  Problem code that just acts messy
without installing itself elsewhere is
annoying but the real furor over these viruses is that they
replicate themselves all over the place.

There are only a limited number of ways to do this, for example:

	- add/change an INIT/CDEV etc in the system file
	- modify an application other than itself
	- etc (no use giving nasty people ideas)

  Now, it strikes me that catching resource modifications in these places isn't
that tough a job.  A real quick & dirty virus trap could just sublaunch the
suspect code while the appropriate traps are being monitored.  For smarter
visuses that might only install themselves randomly, an INIT would have to
be constructed.  Such an INIT could look for resource modification of
the above sort and bring up an alert that might allow the user to
validate/invalidate such accesses from a given application.
  One hassle is if this happens before quickdraw is initialized -- how
do you bring up the alert?  Well, there's a fix to this, I promise...
Anyhow, does this sound workable?  It ain't too hard to do, but I sure
don't have time.  Anybody wanna volunteer?

  Greg Dudek